• Page:

TOPIC: 4.3 power steering reservoir

4.3 power steering reservoir 12 Aug 2017 03:34 #1

• bhawes
  • bhawes's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 82
Before I left the dock the other day, I opened the hatch to check fluids and found the bilge with oil in it. The culprit was the power steering reservoir. Being my last day in Uke, I cancelled my fishing day, packed up and headed for home. I'd checked all of the obvious sources, hoses, attachments, the base of the reservoir, everywhere where I thought that a leak could originate. Nothing obvious. The reservoir appears to be empty. Question, any idea of the source of the leakage? The engine was operating normally on the way in the previous afternoon. No squealing, etc. Are the bearings sealed separately from the power steering fluid, or should I anticipate replacing the entire unit. Opening that hatch saved me a lot of grief as I was heading offshore and removing the belt was not an option!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Bob Hawes.
Kelowna, B.C.
1998 Trophy 2052 WA
4.3 Vortec, A1 G2

4.3 power steering reservoir 12 Aug 2017 10:45 #2

• Chief Alen
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Manalapan N.J
  • Thank you received: 1079
Power steering cooler maybe.

Be good, be happy, for tomorrow is promised to no man !

1994 2452, 5.0l, Alpha gen. 2 drive. Sold ! Sold ! Sold !

'86 / 19' Citation cuddy, Merc. 3.0L / 140 hp 86' , stringer drive. Sold ! Sold ! Sold !

4.3 power steering reservoir 13 Aug 2017 21:49 #3

• bhawes
  • bhawes's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 82
Good call Chief. There was a small amount of oil on the bottom side of the cooler. I tightened up the clamp on the incoming oil line, and the cooler stayed dry. I ran the engine for half an hour on muffs and there was no sign of a leak. It seems strange that 8-10 oz. of fluid would come out like that, but that's what it took to refill the reservoir. I'll be keeping an eye on all of my oil levels.

Bob Hawes.
Kelowna, B.C.
1998 Trophy 2052 WA
4.3 Vortec, A1 G2

4.3 power steering reservoir 14 Aug 2017 07:34 #4

• Chief Alen
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Manalapan N.J
  • Thank you received: 1079
During the winter layup, you might want to remove and inspect the cooler.

They are rather cheap, the surface where the the p.s fluid hoses connect to the cooler might need attention as well as the hose might be cracked under the clamps. Might be able to cut away a inch or more and still have plenty of hose to connect to the cooler.

Tip i use automatic transmission fluid in my power steering unit. Red in color easy to see the leak.

Be good, be happy, for tomorrow is promised to no man !

1994 2452, 5.0l, Alpha gen. 2 drive. Sold ! Sold ! Sold !

'86 / 19' Citation cuddy, Merc. 3.0L / 140 hp 86' , stringer drive. Sold ! Sold ! Sold !
  • Page:
Moderators: Jim GandeeRuffryder
Time to create page: 0.076 seconds