Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Cummins 330 oil leak

Cummins 330 oil leak 11 Aug 2017 20:31 #1

• Checks Five-Oh
  • Checks Five-Oh's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 4
Just back from a 600 nm trip and developed oil leaks on both engins. Port, oil seems to be coming from/through the seawater pump, while the starborad is leaking from the front of the engine, running back under the base pan.

Has anyone else had these experiences?

Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Cummins 330 oil leak 11 Aug 2017 23:33 #2

• higgins_jr
  • Thank you received: 345
It's always hard to diagnose from afar. I'd be first checking all bolts around the timing chain cover and the water pump where it enters the timing housing. I've seen 2 types of gaskets for the raw water pump - one a thin metal shim style and the other a thicker green colour gasket. Both shouldn't leak.

I have had a leak that I thought was coming from the water pump area that turned out to be the injector pump O ring, a 4" dia approx 1/8" thick between the injector pump and rear timing case housing face. Fixing that required the injection pump to be removed, no small job. You need someone who knows how to lock and remove the injector pump as reinsertion with different timing would be a major issue. $800 labour for a $2 o ring. :S although we did also remove and recon the raw water pump at the same time.

My suggestion would be to wipe off, clean all oil and trails completely, then run the engine or take it for a run to see if you can locate the exact area/source, then go from there.

Hope it assists. Cheers

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

John H
Brisbane QLD Aust
"Harbor-nating"

2000 - 4788/Cummins 370's
Last Edit: by higgins_jr.
  • Page:
Moderators: Jim GandeeRuffryder
Time to create page: 0.070 seconds