Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: What filler for cuts/gouges in hull along the keel

What filler for cuts/gouges in hull along the keel 17 Jul 2017 06:10 #1

• sandt
  • sandt's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0
I've got scrapes along the keel and a couple other areas of the hull where the gel-coat has been scraped away and I can see fiberglass fibers (see pix). I've sanded the areas down and a boat repair guy told me to just put a few coats of fiberglass resin over them. However, I've been reading and seen comments about bondo fiberglass resin (polyester?) not being good for below the waterline, and that I should use epoxy instead. But then I read that you cant put gelcoat over epoxy, and that gelcoat will only go over a polyester resin (such as bondo fiberglass resin?). Now that I've read more, Im confused... Reading more isnt really helping at this point.

What should I use to fill over the gouges, epoxy or fiberglass resin? Can anyone tell me a brand and product name for whichever it is? Something I can get at a marine supply/parts place or hardware store, and dont have to order and ship, if possible. Either way, do I need to put gelcoat over it? If so, what's a good product to use (Im not too worried about color matching). I dont really care about the cosmetic appearance of the keel and this ridge, but I want everything to be structurally sound. If gelcoat isnt needed and I only need one product on the hull, that's what I want, as long as Im not messing with the integrity of the hull...

Also, are the stress cracks on the transom in the picture I included an immediate problem?

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

steve...
1986 Bayliner Capri 1950BR (Bowrider)
Volvo Penta 225D V8
Volvo Penta 280 Outdrive
Last Edit: by sandt.

What filler for cuts/gouges in hull along the keel 19 Jul 2017 13:57 #2

• rmitch
  • Thank you received: 0
I had similar damage on my 2650 and used West System epoxy. I started by sanding and feathering out the damage which removed more gel coat. I applied the epoxy on the exposed damage and put plastic over the fresh repair by gently hand working the plastic film over the fresh epoxy and worked out the air bubbles. After the epoxy kicks off, after about an hour, pull the plastic. Second, I sanded the fully cured epoxy. I then faired in the damaged areas with west system epoxy mixed with west system filler to a consistency of peanut butter and applied over the low spots until the hull is proud of flush. Sand with 180, finish sanding with 320 and bring hull back to original contours. I used Mega Wear Keel Guard over the repairs to prevent this kind of damage.

2650 Bayliner Explorer Express , 1980 model , single diesel; Isuza 4BDI, 280 outdrive,
previous boats,
Sea Ray 31, Tolly 48
Great loop completed 2006
10 year live aboard
retired to land 2015
rmitch

What filler for cuts/gouges in hull along the keel 19 Jul 2017 15:06 #3

• builderdude
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • "THE FIX"
  • Thank you received: 786
If your not concerned with matching the color over the repair then I'd do as Mitch suggested and use epoxy with filler.
FYI this guy has some great videos on many different types of fiberglass repair.

boatworkstoday.com

Dave
Edmonds, WA
"THE FIX"
'93 2556 5.7 Bravo II 2.0:1 18 1/4x19 P
.030 over-Vortec top end-part closed cooled
***The rebuild of my 2556***
www.baylinerownersclub.org/index.php/for...ansom-repair-my-2556
Last Edit: by builderdude.

What filler for cuts/gouges in hull along the keel 19 Jul 2017 15:57 #4

• cfoss1
  • Thank you received: 39
I'd use white marine-tex epoxy as long as this is cosmetic only.

Those stress crack would worry me a great deal. Looks like a soft transom...the cracks do not appear by themselves.

If it were mine I would have a helper jump on the outdrive when trimmed all down and watch the transom very closely for any movement...This will give you some idea how bad it is.

Chay

• Page:
Moderators: Jim GandeeRuffryder
Time to create page: 0.076 seconds