Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: OD will not trim up

OD will not trim up 17 Jul 2017 06:04 #1

• Solandri
  • Solandri's Avatar Topic Author
  • Away
  • Thank you received: 24
Looks like CptCrunchie had the same problem, except his OD is an OMC. Mine is a Bravo 2. Trim down works, trim up does not. We spent two hours at the dock trying to diagnose it (very hard without a service manual and no idea where the components are). Tried it from both the flybridge and cabin - same symptoms. Tried rapidly toggling trim up in case it was a stuck solenoid. Eventually we ended up unscrewing the arms for the trim jacks just above the prop and raising the OD manually so we could pull the boat out of the water.

I'm going to take a better look at it Monday, but access is very tight. I did not see any parts which were obviously related to the trim system (engine was in the way). I did find a disconnected green wire in the general vicinity, but I thought green was for the 2556's bonding system? (I'll have to take a better look at it in the daylight. Just looked at the wiring diagram and the one of the wires for the trailer switch is green/white. But shouldn't trim up work for partial travel without the trailer switch?)

Any suggestions?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

1994 2556, 350 MAG MPI Horizon, Bravo 2
Last Edit: by Solandri.

OD will not trim up 18 Jul 2017 05:07 #2

• Solandri
  • Solandri's Avatar Topic Author
  • Away
  • Thank you received: 24
Turned out to be a bad solenoid. I think it was in the process of dying when we encountered the problem at the dock on Sunday, because it was definitely clicking when we hit trim-up then, just not loud enough to determine where the clicking was coming from. On Monday it wasn't clicking at all. Got a new solenoid from the local marine engine shop, removed the old one, scrubbed the lugs clean of grease and corrosion, installed the new one, and it works again.

For any 2556 owners who come across this - the OD trim motor is in the rear port side, behind the batteries. Mine had a plastic guard shielding the main solenoid contacts against shorting, so at a glance it wasn't obvious that there were solenoids there. Once I saw this video, I had a D'oh moment and knew exactly where it was because I'd seen it before.

The solenoids are Mercury part # 89-96158. Compatible part is Sierra 18-5817. It has the angled mounting brackets to hold it above the mount, not flat.

If both are old and you're replacing one, you should seriously consider replacing both. Access to the lower solenoid (trim down) is mostly blocked by the upper solenoid. And a single positive 12V bar holds both solenoids in place. By the time you remove one solenoid, you've done about half the work of removing the other. So might as well replace both with new ones if they're old.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

1994 2556, 350 MAG MPI Horizon, Bravo 2
Last Edit: by Solandri.
  • Page:
Moderators: Jim GandeeRuffryder
Time to create page: 0.124 seconds