Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Bayliner Contessa 2850 Volvo 275 Starboard Propeller

Bayliner Contessa 2850 Volvo 275 Starboard Propeller 15 Jul 2017 00:37 #1

• MarkL
  • MarkL's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0
The Prelude's starboard propeller cap set screw has seized. I suspect the stainless set screw has corroded to the aluminum propeller cap. The cap and screw has been soaking in penetrate with cap turned with cap holes in line vertically and bottom hole plugged and top hole filled with PB Blaster. Wrenching and using impact driver to try to loosen has begun to damage allen head of set screw. Haven't tried to wrench very hard as I fear snapping set screw bolt. I beginning to think that heating cone with a propane torch may be the next thing to try. If that doesn't work maybe I'll try cutting the propeller cap just behind the end of the propeller shaft. Any other ideas out there? Thanks for looking.

Mark

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Bayliner Contessa 2850 Volvo 275 Starboard Propeller 15 Jul 2017 13:54 #2

• 2850Bounty
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 1067
It is likely that someone used a locking bolt that has corroded into the prop shaft threads.
It is nearly impossible to get enough heat into this area to do any good.
Study your spare Spinner (aka Cone Nut) and look at how you are going to cut into the stuck Spinner.
Make cuts that sacrifice the spinner until you get down the locking bolt only.

NOTE: The prop shaft and the female threads are Carbon Steel..... be careful to NOT damage the nickle-chrome finish.

Worst case....... you break the bolt off and you replace the propeller shaft.
The 275 prop shaft can be replaced without any change to the shims that control the gear pattern.
If you need help, I can walk you through the process.

The following user(s) said Thank You: MarkL

Rick E. Portland, Oregon
2850 Bounty Sedan Flybridge model
Twin 270 HP 5.7's w/ Closed Cooling
Volvo Penta DuoProp Drives
Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Bayliner Contessa 2850 Volvo 275 Starboard Propeller 17 Jul 2017 13:42 #3

• MarkL
I believe you are suggesting that I remove the top portion of the spinner in front of the prop shaft trying not to damage the bolt. Upon completion of this portion of the task the rest of the spinner should back off to the head of the bolt. Then remove the rest of the spinner from the bolt. Question: If I cut the tip of the spinner along with the head of the bolt and back off the spinner, will the lack of the bolt head hamper my efforts in removing the bolt from the end of the shaft even within heat applied?

Bayliner Contessa 2850 Volvo 275 Starboard Propeller 17 Jul 2017 13:56 #4

• 2850Bounty
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

MarkL wrote: I believe you are suggesting that I remove the top portion of the spinner in front of the prop shaft trying not to damage the bolt.
I am not following you re; the top of the spinner and re; the spinner in front of the propeller.
Perhaps explain what you mean by top of the spinner.
Also, the spinner fits AFT of the propeller.

Upon completion of this portion of the task the rest of the spinner should back off to the head of the bolt. Then remove the rest of the spinner from the bolt. Question: If I cut the tip of the spinner along with the head of the bolt and back off the spinner, will the lack of the bolt head hamper my efforts in removing the bolt from the end of the shaft even within heat applied?

Perhaps you could reference the SEQ#s below.

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Rick E. Portland, Oregon
Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Bayliner Contessa 2850 Volvo 275 Starboard Propeller 21 Jul 2017 05:48 #5

• MarkL
In order to remove the spinner I used a 4.5" grinder with a metal disc. Beginning at the at the aft of the spinner I ground to the keeper bolt trying not to damage it, grinding forward to the holes in the spinner. After grinding through the holes I noticed the spinner was loose. I then removed the bolt with a vice grip. The spinner became very hot from the grinding and this may have loosened the spinner and bolt. I hope I have not damaged the seal. I have attached pictures of the operation. As you can see the drives need cleaning and painting. This will have to be done soon.

Bayliner Contessa 2850 Volvo 275 Starboard Propeller 21 Jul 2017 12:45 #6

• 2850Bounty
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Mark, good for you! What a task!

Make sure that you use the correct length SS locking bolt, and the bolt without the plastic friction "pill". The friction pill hole weakens the bolt in that area.

You may also want to start using Marine Anti-Sieze on the threads.

Rick E. Portland, Oregon
Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set
  • Page:
Moderators: Jim GandeeRuffryder
Time to create page: 0.080 seconds