Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Where to find s 3/8 16 x 1/4 barbed fitting with STRAIGHT threads, (vent plug)

Where to find s 3/8 16 x 1/4 barbed fitting with STRAIGHT threads, (vent plug) 19 May 2017 12:51 #1

• driz
  • driz's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 58
I made the mistake of taking in my outdrive without swapping out the upper drain plug ( Alpha1). Long story short I ended up with another one. I want to replumb my drive oil reserve tank and can't find a 3/8" x 16 straight thread barbed fitting that's not NPT. I went to a big hardware store and the owner says I'm mot gonna find that easily. I can make my own using a soft 3/8 bolt, drilling it and grinding a barb on it but with no lathe I'd rather avoid that PITA if I can help it. I'm not worried about water intrusion as this drive sits way high always and lives on a trailer. Any brilliant suggestions

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Where to find s 3/8 16 x 1/4 barbed fitting with STRAIGHT threads, (vent plug) 19 May 2017 14:00 #2

• Norton Rider
  • Thank you received: 569
Look at this page: www.hosco.net/catalog-of-products/specialty-fittings/adapters
You can use a p/n 6-6T(F) - 3/8 NPS (M) X 3/8 NPT (F) adapter (3/4 way down the page) and screw in a 3/8 NPT X Hose Barb fitting on to that. As an alternative you can use an NPS to tube adapter (bottom of page). You may want to slightly flare the tube so the hose does not slip off.

1999 3788, Cummins 270 "Freedom"
2013 Boston Whaler 130 SS
Anacortes, WA

Where to find s 3/8 16 x 1/4 barbed fitting with STRAIGHT threads, (vent plug) 20 May 2017 01:25 #3

• driz
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
I see said the blind man, thanks. I take it you either did this before or are a true hardware guru. Is that first on the sort of thing I can buy off the shelf , what sort of supply sells those? Or is it a mail order specialty thing?

Where to find s 3/8 16 x 1/4 barbed fitting with STRAIGHT threads, (vent plug) 20 May 2017 01:58 #4

• Calvincat
  • Thank you received: 10
Where are you located? I'll look thru my Weatherhead brass fittings a see what I've got. That one looks real familiar. Jim

Jim
1975 2865 Carver Santa Cruz
Twin 215hp 302 Ford Waukesha
Twin Straight Shaft Drive
Tow Vehicle 2002 Ford F250 Superduty
7.3L Powerstroke
Boise, Id

Where to find s 3/8 16 x 1/4 barbed fitting with STRAIGHT threads, (vent plug) 20 May 2017 03:09 #5

• Calvincat
I checked my fittings and no joy. Is the oil tank hole accessible? Like if you could remove tank and tape out the hole to a pipe thread? 3/8 X 16 is a standard (course bolt) thread and the fitting you're looking at is Straight pipe to tapered pipe. Jim
The following user(s) said Thank You: driz

Jim
7.3L Powerstroke
Boise, Id

Where to find s 3/8 16 x 1/4 barbed fitting with STRAIGHT threads, (vent plug) 20 May 2017 11:51 #6

• driz
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

Calvincat wrote: I checked my fittings and no joy. Is the oil tank hole accessible? Like if you could remove tank and tape out the hole to a pipe thread? 3/8 X 16 is a standard (course bolt) thread and the fitting you're looking at is Straight pipe to tapered pipe. Jim

Thanks for looking but it's the other end I'm needing. It's the end that goes into the alphas upper (vent) plug. From looking up and around the net it seems to be a hydraulic hose adapter. I'll swing by the local John Deere dealer and see if they have any kicking around..

Where to find s 3/8 16 x 1/4 barbed fitting with STRAIGHT threads, (vent plug) 20 May 2017 13:46 #7

• Calvincat
Is this by chance the part you're looking for? MerCruiser Outdrive Part#22-98278? It's down the page a little way. Jim
www.mercstuff.com/reservoir.htm

Jim
7.3L Powerstroke
Boise, Id

Where to find s 3/8 16 x 1/4 barbed fitting with STRAIGHT threads, (vent plug) 21 May 2017 23:35 #8

• driz
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Look what I made. That's a fine threaded Barb I forced through a die. No it's not perfect but threads in well with an o ring over the gasket. I used a tad of silicone to be sure. It doesn't leak and since it's up high away from water pressure it will be good enough. Of course I will be keeping an eye on it for a while
This began as a 3/8 fine thread barb I found in my junk box. I wondered if I could rethread it. It turns out I could by just rolling it on the grinder on the end enough to get the threads to enter the die. Then it threaded as normal. It's not perfect but for this application it should work fine.

an

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Last Edit: by driz.

Where to find s 3/8 16 x 1/4 barbed fitting with STRAIGHT threads, (vent plug) 22 May 2017 00:59 #9

• Calvincat
You know what they say "That necessity is the mother of invention". Glad you was able to get it taken care of and with just a little sweat equity. Jim

Jim
7.3L Powerstroke
Boise, Id
  • Page:
Moderators: Jim GandeeRuffryder
Time to create page: 0.091 seconds