Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: House wiring batt.

House wiring batt. 19 May 2017 03:19 #1

• Monkeyman
  • Monkeyman's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0
Trying to install batt switch and ACR clean up wiring about ten wires with eyelets that are wired directly to battery. I installed add a battery switch from my engine battery and starter. Boat fired up so no problems there. Wired all fused wires to house battery positive all negatives to negative battery and nothing works as far as lights , electronics. Battery switch off position . Turned on battery switch to on and everything working I'm a little lost shouldn't house battery power everything with wires being hard wired from battery? Traced wires from start battery back to motor starter and looks as though maybe house hot might be wired there which would explain why with batt switch off nothing, turn on everything working this sounds odd to me.Any thoughts about this 1990 ciera 2655

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

House wiring batt. 19 May 2017 04:23 #2

• builderdude
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • "THE FIX"
  • Thank you received: 699

Monkeyman wrote: Trying to install batt switch and ACR clean up wiring about ten wires with eyelets that are wired directly to battery. I installed add a battery switch from my engine battery and starter. Boat fired up so no problems there. Wired all fused wires to house battery positive all negatives to negative battery and nothing works as far as lights , electronics. Battery switch off position . Turned on battery switch to on and everything working I'm a little lost shouldn't house battery power everything with wires being hard wired from battery? Traced wires from start battery back to motor starter and looks as though maybe house hot might be wired there which would explain why with batt switch off nothing, turn on everything working this sounds odd to me.Any thoughts about this 1990 ciera 2655

Yes, the house loads are supplied from the stater motors main lug (where battery cable connects) so either battery selection at the MBSS will supply power.

Dave
Edmonds, WA
"THE FIX"
'93 Ciera 2556 Mercruiser 5.7 Bravo II
.030 over-Vortec top end-part closed cooled
***The rebuild of my 2556***
www.baylinerownersclub.org/index.php/for...ansom-repair-my-2556
Last Edit: by builderdude.

House wiring batt. 19 May 2017 10:00 #3

• 2850Bounty
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 1029

Monkeyman wrote: Trying to install batt switch and ACR clean up wiring
Question: are you wanting to install a battery switch, as in OFF/ON, or a battery selector switch, as in OFF/#1/ALL-BOTH/#2 ?

about ten wires with eyelets that are wired directly to battery.
Not good!
In my world, we should see battery cables ONLY connecting directly to our batteries.

I installed add a battery switch from my engine battery and starter. Boat fired up so no problems there.
Wired all fused wires to house battery
Again, I would suggest battery cables ONLY go directly to batteries.
Otherwise, we may end up with something that looks like a Rat's Nest:

positive all negatives to negative battery and nothing works as far as lights , electronics. Battery switch off position . Turned on battery switch to on and everything working I'm a little lost shouldn't house battery power everything with wires being hard wired from battery?
Traced wires from start battery back to motor starter and looks as though maybe house hot might be wired there which would explain why with batt switch off nothing, turn on everything working this sounds odd to me. Any thoughts about this 1990 ciera 2655

Here are some 12 vdc marine electrical system icons that I use.
Would you be able to put together a schematic for us that will show your existing scenario?

Perhaps something simple like this one but showing your existing:

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

The following user(s) said Thank You: njosephson

Rick E. Portland, Oregon
2850 Bounty Sedan Flybridge model
Twin 270 HP 5.7's w/ Closed Cooling
Volvo Penta DuoProp Drives
Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set
Last Edit: by 2850Bounty.
  • Page:
Moderators: Jim GandeeRuffryder
Time to create page: 0.077 seconds