Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Slow leak A1G2 transom shields.

Slow leak A1G2 transom shields. Apr 20, 2017 04:17 AM #1

• ozbucko
  • Thank you received: 14
After 16 months refurbishing the boat I took off for Easter and came back to find that I have a slow leak coming from the rear of the Stb transom shields.
These were replaced in October last year with new bellows, gimbal bearings, cables, hoses etc.
It appears that the leak is not from the small hose near the gearbox lube feed to the leg but near that area and slightly lower.
It is a slow leak that is dropping down onto the coupler area.
I tightened all hose fittings in the area and it still leaks around 2-3 gallons per 24hr.
Last Edit: Apr 20, 2017 04:18 AM by ozbucko.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Slow leak A1G2 transom shields. Apr 20, 2017 04:41 AM #2

• Ruffryder
  • Thank you received: 1287
Upper SQ steering shaft
Joon, Kathy, Jaden & Tristan
93 3058
92 2855
91 Fourwinns 205
Longbranch WA
Life is Good

Slow leak A1G2 transom shields. Apr 20, 2017 06:01 AM #3

• builderdude
  • Platinum Member
  • "THE FIX"
  • Thank you received: 633
ozbucko wrote:
It appears that the leak is not from the small hose near the gearbox lube feed to the leg but near that area and slightly lower.
It is a slow leak that is dropping down onto the coupler area.
I tightened all hose fittings in the area and it still leaks around 2-3 gallons per 24hr.
First thing directly under the lube fitting is the input shaft seal (u joint bellow area) further below that is the shift cable bellow. You sure it's not the water tube area or higher up like Joon said (square shaft seal) ? Stuff some paper towels around the area to help pin point where it's coming in.
Dave
Edmonds, WA
"THE FIX"
'93 Ciera 2556 Mercruiser 5.7 Bravo II
.030 over-Votec top end-part closed cooled
***The rebuild of my 2556***
www.baylinerownersclub.org/index.php/for...ansom-repair-my-2556

Slow leak A1G2 transom shields. Apr 20, 2017 06:46 AM #4

• ozbucko
Replaced November with seals and SS pins.

Slow leak A1G2 transom shields. Apr 20, 2017 08:56 AM #5

• Chief Alen
  • Platinum Member
  • Manalapan N.J
  • Thank you received: 996
Shift shaft bushing .
Be good, be happy, for tomorrow is promised to no man !

1994 2452, 5.0l, Alpha gen. 2 drive. Sold ! Sold ! Sold !

'86 / 19' Citation cuddy, Merc. 3.0L / 140 hp 86' , stringer drive. Sold ! Sold ! Sold !

Slow leak A1G2 transom shields. Apr 20, 2017 10:54 AM #6

• ozbucko
More info please Chief.

Slow leak A1G2 transom shields. Apr 20, 2017 01:53 PM #7

• Chief Alen
  • Platinum Member
  • Manalapan N.J
every time you shift the drive the shaft wiggles wearing the bushing the shaft passes thru.

change it every 2 years when the impeller is changed.

could be your leak

'86 / 19' Citation cuddy, Merc. 3.0L / 140 hp 86' , stringer drive. Sold ! Sold ! Sold !
Last Edit: Apr 20, 2017 01:56 PM by Chief Alen.

Slow leak A1G2 transom shields. Apr 20, 2017 03:25 PM #8

• builderdude
  • Platinum Member
  • "THE FIX"
Chief Alen wrote:
every time you shift the drive the shaft wiggles wearing the bushing the shaft passes thru.

change it every 2 years when the impeller is changed.

could be your leak
Chief, I'm not familiar with everything Alpha, is the bushing you refer to between the exhaust port and u joint bellow in the bell housing? And is there a modification or replacement that includes some type of seal also? Just curious....
Dave
Edmonds, WA
"THE FIX"

Slow leak A1G2 transom shields. Apr 20, 2017 04:59 PM #9

• Ruffryder
Yes the bushing is between the exhaust port and drive shaft hole, on the bottom of the upper drive shaft hole.
Failed shift shaft bushing will usually leak water into the shift cable cavity...ruining your shift cable every time.
It is almost impossible to leak into the drive bellows since there is a large O ring , drive shaft yoke sits tight against.
93 3058
92 2855
91 Fourwinns 205
Longbranch WA
Life is Good
The following user(s) said Thank You: builderdude, ozbucko

Slow leak A1G2 transom shields. Apr 21, 2017 08:43 AM #10

• Chief Alen
  • Platinum Member
  • Manalapan N.J
Mis-read the first post ?

I'm getting old.

Joon could be right, also there is a weep hole that allows water into the bilge if you have water in the drive shaft billows.

# 13 leaking that damn gasket ... #11 leaking seen that a couple of times.

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Last Edit: Apr 21, 2017 08:45 AM by Chief Alen.

Slow leak A1G2 transom shields. Apr 21, 2017 01:09 PM #11

• ozbucko
Thanks Chief, these seals were replaced when the new transom shields were fitted in Nov plus a bead of sealant around the outside.

11. is a bit low as the leak appears to be from slightly above the top of the drive shaft boss but on the inside of the shield.

I am thinking that I may have a failed top pin seal.

I will do some more contortions in the engine room and use the old tissue test to see if I can confirm the leaks source.

Slow leak A1G2 transom shields. Apr 21, 2017 01:15 PM #12

• Chief Alen
  • Platinum Member
  • Manalapan N.J
Again my apologies !

Slow leak A1G2 transom shields. Apr 21, 2017 05:46 PM #13

• Ruffryder
Also Look carefully around the hole where 2 pairs of trim sender wires comes thru...there are 2 halves tapered bushing/seal to be tight.
93 3058
92 2855
91 Fourwinns 205
Longbranch WA
Life is Good

Slow leak A1G2 transom shields. Apr 21, 2017 10:27 PM #14

• ozbucko
Thanks, I am familiar with these parts.
They were also replaced when new trim sensors were fitted to both legs in November.
However I will have a look just to be sure.

Slow leak A1G2 transom shields. Apr 25, 2017 11:35 AM #15

• ozbucko
So we spent another four days away and I had a chance to get in and around the engine bay and try and identify the source of the leak and it appears to be from the Y joint.
I didn't have a mirror to look up and confirm but the area where I first thought it was leaking from was where the plastic through tube is located but was fixed by just tightening up the clamp.
The only other concern is that there are rust stains on the lower part of the transom under the inner shield but there was certainly some severe dripping from down near the Y joint to shield.
I take it this will be another major job requiring the boat to be pulled from the water again for the same job as done in November?
Will I need to pull the engine to fix it with Part number 11?

Slow leak A1G2 transom shields. Apr 25, 2017 03:14 PM #16

• Ruffryder
Unfortunately, yes you will need to pull the Engine.
93 3058
92 2855
91 Fourwinns 205
Longbranch WA
Life is Good

Slow leak A1G2 transom shields. Apr 25, 2017 04:11 PM #17

• builderdude
  • Platinum Member
  • "THE FIX"
We talking about the Y pipe connection to the housing? Think your mechanic should be repairing that one at no cost to you :huh: you sire its there and not a simple connector block seal etc?? Still gotta pull the boat :(
Dave
Edmonds, WA
"THE FIX"

Slow leak A1G2 transom shields. Apr 25, 2017 08:23 PM #18

• Chief Alen
  • Platinum Member
  • Manalapan N.J
IT''s a mother@#$%&* to go thru this, damn i feel for ya !

Slow leak A1G2 transom shields. Apr 26, 2017 06:13 AM #19

• ozbucko
That will be the 3rd time I will have removed the engines in 16 months should this be the case.
My friend the mechanic says that it just may be the selector cable bellow that may have been split, P.No 26 and has been split for some time with the use of the boat recently allowing the fault to open up?
Do any of you have dramas as much as this boat has?
Last Edit: Apr 26, 2017 06:16 AM by ozbucko.

Slow leak A1G2 transom shields. Apr 26, 2017 09:52 AM #20

• Chief Alen
  • Platinum Member
  • Manalapan N.J
You asked so here it is copied and pasted here the author is me.

Aug 5 2008 Tow of shame ! Posted on another website by me. 1986 19' Citation Cuddy 2.5l last of the stringer drives.

Ok I just clear the sail boats at Keyport NJ.

I'm running at about 3500 rpm 20 mph everything is perfect, oil pressure, temp, charging, all is perfect.

I'm in about 25 feet of water per my fishfinder / depthfinder.

It's a great day to be alive. I have my 13 year old son the fishing machine with me. Weather is perfect, tide is coming in, slight chop.

I get to the middle of the bay oh maybe 15 minutes, and boom, it happens.

A loud boom the boat feels like i hit a wall and it revs high like i'm in neutral.

Temp. goes to 200 and i shut her off.

I know i didn't hit anything.

I call my friend, he says i'll be there 2-3 hours.

Ok I throw out the anchor. And were fishing.

Put up the Bimini top, and wait.

I calm down, and start thinking, what happened, maybe not in those words.

After all this is a family site.

My friend gets to me and I pull the anchor and he starts to tow me in.

Longest ride in at maybe 1 mph past maybe a 100 boats.

Never been so red faced in my life. Dejected don't even comes close to how i feel at the time.

I get the boat on the trailer and home ok. I's in the driveway now.

OK thats my tale of woe it happened yesterday. Oh by the way i got a keeper and one short the fishing machine nothing.

Ok motor off throttle in gear, Drive fully down. I turn the prop and the ball gears move both of them.

I'm thinking what the ---. No way got to be the water pump shaft stripped out got to be.

I'm turning and turning the prop the ball gears both of them turning.

I have not gone out to the boat this morning yet except to walk the hot dog, dog we have. I walked past it but have not touched it yet this morning.

Aug 16-here we go again. Same thread same website 2 weeks latter.
Ok a update and a tip for all stringer owners.

Was the coupler, very, very unusual for it to go. But got a used one and worked great.

Started it in the driveway no problem. Shifted good, Tattle-tale stream strong on the ball gears.

Go out to the bay cause i'm itching to see if i got any mechanical skills left.

Have on the boat me my 16 year old son who is the deer slayer but he don't like the bay to mush. His boy scout friend and farther, 4 people in all.

A perfectly gorgeous day 6:30 in the morning, Bay flat.

Boat is running perfect.

Get to spot one drop the lines, no fish, start her up, get to spot 2 about 1 mile away, drop the lines, no fish.

Start her up go 100 yards, and she strips out the water pump shaft. Shut her off 2 seconds.

Did I as a reasonable person bother to check the water pump shafts, when i was waiting for the coupler in the mail? No. I have to find out on the water.

Throw out the anchor.

Same guy in his bayliner comes for me in 8 hours cause he's working.

Heres the warning guys. If you have a stringer.

CHECK YOUR WATER PUMP SHAFTS EVERY YEAR.

Mine were good 3 years ago. I know i checked them.

Out drive apart waiting for the shaft i ordered. One goes they both go.

One i had.

Paid 300 dollars for the boat and trailer, all i wanted was the trailer, the boat on the trailer was on the side of the road for years. Passed it dozens of times. One time i stopped, asked a handicapped lady that lives across the street who's boat it was, and coming down the road at that exact moment was Cris the owner, a personal friend of mine that owns the land and boat.

He stops we talk and he tells me the story of the boat if it had 50 hours on it was alot. He never had time to use it, and it has to go cause he's stripping the land is about to have a cul-de-sac and homes built to sell.

300 dollar check in his pocket and i'm pulling the boat home.

Get her in my drive and all the garbage out of the boat, 1/2 hour latter after checking the oils, i start her up on a external tank of fuel, shes running great.

WTF i say to myself all i want is the trailer for my tri-hull that i used at the time 2 weeks out of the year up at my summer up in Upstate NY.

So i ponder, and ponder. Been going out on friends boats Raritan Bay " lower greater NY bay " The Rip.

My 76' Tri-hull Arrowglass Cougar never kissed saltwater, was a gift from my brother towed up from Texas, the 70 hp Evinrude has maybe less then 100 hours when i got her after sitting for 30+ years in his garage. Took off the cowl looked to be brand new the engine

This is getting convoluted anyway, here goes.

He buys the Cougar new, used it a few times, and the guy next door is related to a very famous fishing show guy that gets a new rig ever year to use in the show, for ads on the show, he owns the rig.

So the old rig he sells to his family members for years, comes one year ever one of his family has a pretty new rig so my brother the Urologist unplugged the guys blockage so he can do the do with his wifey and girlfriend if he had one; enough said and got the one year old rig i remember a 260 outboard on it fully rigged. My brother still has the rig.

Going back at least 18 years i wound up at my brothers house in my conversion van going to all the national parks and we were going to take the boat out, and it wouldn't start they wanted 1000 to install a starter for him, i ordered one and had it in a day 100 bucks i think and had us on the water in 2 days.

Back to the 1986 Citation, spent the winter and 2500 dollars to get her on the water.

4-5 trips on the water just to sort out the ESA till i wired it like a merc.

Half the summer goes by. the tri-hull flawless fresh water lakes kids going to day camp up there we stated using the house all summer, then they go away to sleep away the older ones and day camp the younger ones.

Summer goes by and out we come back to Jersey, take the Citation out just the boys, and the head goes. Get a head, install it all is good then go to re-tighten the head bolts and pull the head bolt up and crack the back corner, good by engine. Nothing i could do to save it, welding i mean a master welder still cant save it. In and out went the engine maybe 3-4 times i forget, out in the bay about 100 yards full power can't stop it from spewing water and oil all over the bay.

Talk about dejected, no words to describe it. My wife says let it sink in the driveway, your gonna catch another heart attack over this crappy boat. Buy a new one.

Looking and looking for a engine 3.0l up comes a ad on Craigs, guy sold his gas station no room for the old boat in his driveway, 400 dollars i'm pulling a real POS boat home with a running engine on a trailer.

Out comes my old engine, in goes the donor 3.0l / 140 engine with the pan of the 2.5l and oil pump, had to change it over don't ask, the donor pan was shot, install the donor engine with the donor flywheel and bolts, omc coupler. Won't crank, the Merc bolts and flywheel wouldn't let it crank tight up on the bell housing. Out comes the engine again change over the flywheel and bolts from the omc engine, Joy of joy's running great.

You asked, yes i had grief, heartache, dejected, and almost suicide committed upon myself, but the kids still talk about the times out on the water, they bring it up and we laugh and laugh, remember the time this and that, and Dad did this and that, just came back up at my B-day dinner out, worth ever precious second and i would do it again in a heartbeat.

Slow leak A1G2 transom shields. Apr 26, 2017 10:42 AM #21

• ozbucko
You have brought a chuckle from me Chief, and made me smile.
Still as much as I like this boat I am getting a bit tired of being married to it.

As No 1 bride says "I think you should buy another boat"

No, I have done so much to this boat and surely by now we must be getting near the end!

Her reply was "9 days out in 18 months, and the number of fun coupons you have spent,and it still doesn't run as it should"

Some rationale in her statements?
Still I knew I was taking on a project so I shouldn't complain too loudly.

But it's continuing failures are trying my patience.

Slow leak A1G2 transom shields. Apr 26, 2017 02:28 PM #22

• waterfern
ozbucko wrote:
Do any of you have dramas as much as this boat has?

Yes, thought about naming my boat "drama queen".

Slow leak A1G2 transom shields. Apr 26, 2017 02:53 PM #23

• Ruffryder
Bucko' boat has been through some major refit, but she is almost there.
Yes it could very well be the lower shift cable ...so much easier & less $$$$.
93 3058
92 2855
91 Fourwinns 205
Longbranch WA
Life is Good
Moderators: Jim Gandee, Ruffryder
Time to create page: 0.175 seconds