TOPIC: 2859 Owners

2859 Owners 08 Feb 2014 17:08 #1

• skeeter3
  • skeeter3's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 21
I don't see many posts from 285niners!!
I would like to hear about any changes or modifications to make a really good vessel an even better one.
I replaced the alcohol burner stove with a 2 burner stainless steel propane I bought from Northern Tool for $85 and it really works great, then the New Wave Presision Induction cooktop came out and that changed the way I cook for guests and myself, uses very little power. :)
As I live on the boat all summer (4+ months) I needed easier and better cooking appliances.
Now I can put out very good 4 course meals always fresh seafood of course.
Hope to hear some good reply's or even bad ones. :cheer:
Skeeter

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

1994 2859 Bayliner Cierra Classic
7.4 Cu In 454 , 400HP New 2013:smileflag
New Bravo 3 outdrive 2011
My summer condo:D

2859 Owners 08 Feb 2014 18:03 #2

• Go Aweigh2452
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Olalla, WA
  • Thank you received: 534
A few years ago Mike aka Somesailor started a 2859 website when he owned one. After he sold it, he no longer ran the site and it went down hill. Now he has given the reigns to MilesB and Miles is running the site. I see little traffic on it with the last post being Dec 2013... I know we have a 2859 thread similar to the 2452 thread here on BOC. If you start posting to that thread, I am sure other 2859 owners will chime in...

In the mean time, I'll let MilesB point you the way to the 2859 site that Mike built...

Doug ;}
MMSI: 338068776
"Go Aweigh to" Photos < click on red letters... 2001 Bayliner 2452 w/6.2 HO (paid for)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

2859 Owners 08 Feb 2014 18:55 #3

• 2859er
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 32
Hi Skeeter3,

The propane cook top is an upgrade we like too.

We also enlarged the cabin hatch and took the carpet out and put down vinyl flooring.
www.baylinerownersclub.org/index.php/for...-install-2859#202753

I did a swimstep resize that allows me to carry a dink and a kicker off of the stern.
www.baylinerownersclub.org/index.php/for...7358-swimstep-resize

Anchor upgrade:
33 lb Claw or Bruce style anchor with 30 feet of chain and 300 feet of line. (We anchor out a lot.) It also has a Powerwinch 31 free fall windlass that has the switch at the helm.

Battery charger upgrade:
Pro-Nautic 12volt 40 amp charger

Battery Monitor:
Xantrax Link Pro

Portable Generator:
Yamaha EF2000 is

Chartplotter:
Garmin 4212

VHF Radio:
Standard Horizon GX 2150 with AIS reciever

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

2000, Ciera SC 2859
7.4L MPI Bravo II
MMSI# 338118874
06 Silverado LT 3500 Diesel

2859 Owners 08 Feb 2014 20:18 #4

• check737
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 39
My 2859 had a second hatch in the lounge area.
Great for extra light and air.
Also replaced the cooktop with a two burner induction unit.

This message has attachments images.

My mistake, your fault
The only high maintenance accessory on a boat should come in a bikini

2859 Owners 08 Feb 2014 21:38 #5

• skeeter3
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
B) Thanks for the reply's and listing the upgrades.
I guess I had bettered list the other upgrades I have on my boat.
I carry my Dingy upside down on top of the pilot house under the radar rack which also has torpedo mounts for 6 poles, all stainless steel, I also have my VHF ant's mounted on rack. My crab and shrimp pots are secured on the bottom of the dingy. It's a little work launching the dingy but the trade off is that I always have my pots with me. I am building a cradle to stow The 3 HP Suzuki kicker for Dingy in engine room under fish box it'll be dry and safe there, I hope.
2 Horizon VHF radios.
1 Garmin 740s GPS
1 Garmin 545s GPS
Power Winch 35 ( :angry: I'm not very happy with this winch no power) with 30 pound Bruce anchor with 60 feet 1/4 inch chain and 600 ft of 1/2" rode with helm switch but installing remote on bow. I quite often anchor in 240-320 feet when fishing halibut then I have to pull my anchor with the buoy system) doing that you need a real strong bow pulpit, to handle the side pulling.
Extra 70 gallon fuel tank installed in pilot house with pilots seat mounted on top, plumbed to directional valve.
Floscan fuel meter connected to GPS and gage on dash.
Kicker mounted to swim platform, not ideal but has been working for at least 15yrs.
Added some pictures last one is of happy fishermen from 2day trip :woohoo:

This message has attachments images.

2859 Owners 09 Feb 2014 01:41 #6

• SomeSailor
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 258

Go Aweigh2452 wrote: A few years ago Mike aka Somesailor started a 2859 website when he owned one. After he sold it, he no longer ran the site and it went down hill.
In the mean time, I'll let MilesB point you the way to the 2859 site that Mike built...

Mike never stopped running it. :) The site is till there ( www.bayliner2859.com ). It's just not something I'm interested in contributing to (as a user). If anyone is truly interested in running it I would love someone to do so. MilesKB talked a good story, but never actually stepped up when I offered the domain to him.

I've renewed the domain registration for a year, the hosting is paid through next winter and feel free to check or ask anything you'd like over there. Lots of 2859 owners on there.

2859 Owners 09 Feb 2014 02:20 #7

• Mileskb
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 47

SomeSailor wrote:

Go Aweigh2452 wrote: A few years ago Mike aka Somesailor started a 2859 website when he owned one. After he sold it, he no longer ran the site and it went down hill.

Mike never stopped running it. :) The site is till there ( www.bayliner2859.com ). It's just not something I'm interested in contributing to (as a user). If anyone is truly interested in running it I would love someone to do so. MilesKB talked a good story, but never actually stepped up when I offered the domain to him.

I've renewed the domain registration for a year, the hosting is paid through next winter and feel free to check or ask anything you'd like over there. Lots of 2859 owners on there.

Well this is timely as I was just getting ready to send you an email....

Actually in my last email I said it would be near the end of January when I had time to get into it, then I saw the forums go live again and figured you decided to hang onto it and at the same time I realized my plate got full as I picked up two part-time contracts.

Sorry I didn't communicate this a little earlier, but I really didn't know if I would have time until last week when the contracts got all sorted out.

Aquatic Muse
Mount Vernon, WA
MMSI: 367498870
'79 Bayliner Santiago w/ Mercruiser 470 power and drive

2859 Owners 09 Feb 2014 05:34 #8

• SomeSailor
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
No worries. I just shut down the redirect to your name server and unlocked the forum. I would have hoped you would have moved a bit quicker to get something shifted over. I'll just let it run as is and see if someone steps who's interested. It's more about the time than the money. It runs just fine on it's own though.

2859 Owners 09 Feb 2014 07:43 #9

• Mileskb
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 47

SomeSailor wrote: No worries. I just shut down the redirect to your name server and unlocked the forum. I would have hoped you would have moved a bit quicker to get something shifted over. I'll just let it run as is and see if someone steps who's interested. It's more about the time than the money. It runs just fine on it's own though.

Things may change in a few months and if they do I'll be in touch. For those thinking about taking it over, it's on a good host and running well so if someone wanted to take over leaving it in place, or even migrating to another instance of vBulletin it would be essentially a piece of cake and I think well worth the minor effort. In my case, I don't use vBulletin for anything and I have my own host so I'd have to migrate it and unless I want to write the migration code myself (which I don't have time for at the moment) I'm out. I was really looking forward to it, but life got in the way.

Aquatic Muse
Mount Vernon, WA
MMSI: 367498870
'79 Bayliner Santiago w/ Mercruiser 470 power and drive

2859 Owners 09 Feb 2014 14:25 #10

• SomeSailor
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
All good conversation, but I'm fine where it's at. It just needs occasion moderation and someone to approve new users. Conversion scripts, custom code, ambitious planning etc are all unnecessary. I was just hoping someone with a 2859 would be interested in running it from an administrative point.

2859 Owners 09 Feb 2014 14:34 #11

• Bill R
  • Thank you received: 0
Skeeter,

I have been modifying my 2859 for about 6 years and hopefully will have some pictures soon. I am in eastern NC where it is very hot and humid.
I have added two Lewmar size10 hatches in the hardtop facing forward to catch the breeze, I have had the side decks widened ( professionally) by about 6 inches ( total overall width is now 11 foot seven inches ) since I am a senior and slipped off twice while walking forward and at the same time I had the hardtop extended to the stern for more sun protection.

I have moved the radio to under the hardtop and moved the antenna also to the hardtop. I also moved the shore power inlets to the stern so I can unplug while standing on the swim platform which works out very well for the slip i'm in.

I took out the main cabin windows (below) and put them back in with Buytl caulk and bolts with stop nuts as the original installation on my 2001 was just a thin gasket and sheet metal screws. I removed all the rubber around the windshield and filled the entire area around all the three sections with black buytl caulk masking both side to have a finished appearance.

I took out the side facing bench on the bridge and replaced it with a L shaped seating although I have no more table there.

In the main cabin I removed the door and partition to the aft cabin and cut down the partition behind the dinette seat to open up the area since we only use that area for storage and I also removed the step in front of the dinette after rerouting the a/c duct.

I am retired so I have time to do this and will try to get some pics soon along with some of the other stuff that was done.

Bill R

2859 Owners 09 Feb 2014 15:57 #12

• keithjabber
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 13
Are you aware that posting is broken there, have tried for the last few weeks and always get this error.

Warning: require_once(includes/functions_ghsom.php) [function.require-once]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in ..../includes/functions_newpost.php(562) : )'d code on line 5

Fatal error: require_once() [function.require]: Failed opening required 'includes/functions_ghsom.php' (include_path='.:/usr/lib/php') in /home/iboatnw2/public_html/bayliner2859.com/includes/functions_newpost.php(562) : )'d code on line 5

Keith
Waukegan, IL
1994 2859, Mercruise 6.3L 383 MPI (Repower)

2859 Owners 09 Feb 2014 15:57 #13

• skeeter3
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
Thanks Bill, I'll be looking forward to the pictures.
The extra width on the deck sounds like a good thing for us seniors.

2859 Owners 09 Feb 2014 18:07 #14

• SomeSailor
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

keithjabber wrote: Are you aware that posting is broken there, have tried for the last few weeks and always get this error.

Try it now.

2859 Owners 09 Feb 2014 18:27 #15

• keithjabber
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 13
Works!

Thanks!

Now hope most people make it back eventually.

Keith
Waukegan, IL
1994 2859, Mercruise 6.3L 383 MPI (Repower)

2859 Owners 10 Feb 2014 16:39 #16

• nmacko
Just read your thread and I am interested in purchasing a used 2859. I have a 2452 now and have spent a lot of time getting everything working great, but the boat is a little small and with all our extra gear it really sits down in the water. If you could give me some insight as to fuel consumption, cruising speed, size of the engine, bad habits, etc. I would be very appreciative. Nick.

2859 Owners 10 Feb 2014 17:51 #17

• 2859er
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

nmacko wrote: Just read your thread and I am interested in purchasing a used 2859. I have a 2452 now and have spent a lot of time getting everything working great, but the boat is a little small and with all our extra gear it really sits down in the water. If you could give me some insight as to fuel consumption, cruising speed, size of the engine, bad habits, etc. I would be very appreciative. Nick.

I get 1.2 MPG on plane at 24 to 27 MPH fully loaded with fuel, water and gear at sea level. I have the 7.4 MPI, aluminum factory prop. No bad habits I can think of. They are a bit tail heavy so operating trim tabs are a must. We love the boat.
The following user(s) said Thank You: gunwood

2000, Ciera SC 2859
7.4L MPI Bravo II
MMSI# 338118874

2859 Owners 10 Feb 2014 20:54 #18

• fritzman
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Fritz, Boat- 2859 -1993 name Scotch&Water
  • Thank you received: 183
Hi skeeter, your post just ads more to my to de list great mods. My thought was that the 96 had a teansom door.

Old Glue

2859 Owners 10 Feb 2014 22:44 #19

• nmacko
Thanks for the reply. I had the same problem with my 2452 being heavy in the stern, as of all the extra gear (dingy, 9.9hp merc. , dingy gas, extra gas, etc.). I had a friend of mine make extension tabs that went inside of the Bennett tabs, which gave me 50% more surface area. I also installed a new 4bl intake manifold and 600 cfm carb on the 305. This all make it easier to get her butt up on top of the water. Now I'm looking to get a 2859 as I love the style and expect it will give me the same handling as my 2452. Nick.

2859 Owners 10 Feb 2014 23:19 #20

• skeeter3
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
Finally, I got registered on 2859.COM site it took a while but I'm on.
My engine took a shit in 2012 end of season, so I pulled it and replaced it with a 400hp US Engines unit. They said I would get 25% better fuel savings but I find that it's about the same maybe just a tad better, but I have so much more power on the low end and I get on step very fast even with a full load. I carry 175 gal's fuel so thats a lot of extra weight, too. If I have a full load and extra people, I need a couple of them to set forward until I use some fuel.
I find that i get about the same fuel consumption going and coming from my fishing area, about 40miles each way so I stay a min of 2 days and some trips 4 days. But on the return trip we are loaded with fish, crab and whatever we catch.
Over all the 2859 fits my needs very well. Except in a following sea then it's a bear to handle.
I crossed the south end of Clarence Straits in 35kn SE'er and 4-6 ft combine sea
& swell it wasn't a fun trip I got to fuel dock with 5 gal's fuel left.. to scarry.
Fritz I'm coming your way Friday... can't wait to see your boat.
Skeeter

2859 Owners 11 Feb 2014 06:01 #21

• Alaskan Spirit
  • Thank you received: 9
Skeeter can you tell me how you got the extra 73 gal of fueil? That would be very nice to have some extra.

1999 2859 Volvo D4 260 DPH:arr

2859 Owners 11 Feb 2014 16:05 #22

• skeeter3
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
The extra fuel tank is located in pilot house, it replaces the pilot chair.
I thought I had a picture but after looking I can't find one so I'll try and explain it.
It's L shaped,The bottom of tank runs from the steering console bulkhead to about 1 foot from the alaska bulkhead, width is about 24" same as the fwd bulkhead, the L shape is there for foot rest and pilot chair is mounted on bracket on top of tank. The tank is about 48" high. Base 48"L x 30"w
It was on the boat when I bought it and done very professionally with fill and vent located outside strb bulkhead.
It's not real easy to fill but after time I got it figured out.

2859 Owners 11 Feb 2014 20:19 #23

• scarab63
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 31

2859er wrote:

nmacko wrote: Just read your thread and I am interested in purchasing a used 2859. I have a 2452 now and have spent a lot of time getting everything working great, but the boat is a little small and with all our extra gear it really sits down in the water. If you could give me some insight as to fuel consumption, cruising speed, size of the engine, bad habits, etc. I would be very appreciative. Nick.

No bad habits I can think of. They are a bit tail heavy so operating trim tabs are a must. We love the boat.

Add that they are like sails around the docks on windy days. High sides combined with the glass and hard top makes them a little less tolerable in windy tight spots then other similar length boats may be. By no means a deal breaker though!

Last Edit: by scarab63.

2859 Owners 12 Feb 2014 05:12 #24

• Alaskan Spirit
  • Thank you received: 9
Thanks Skeeter for the info. I have thought of every place possible to put an extra tank, but never though of your location. Will have to look and think about this.

1999 2859 Volvo D4 260 DPH:arr
Last Edit: by Alaskan Spirit.

2859 Owners 12 Feb 2014 06:19 #25

• 2859er
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

Alaskan Spirit wrote: Thanks Skeeter for the info. I have thought of every place possible to put an extra tank, but never though of your location. Will have to look and think about this.

I was reading an older post by Ksanders who put a 50 gal aux tank in the center compartment under the v-berth. Then he also added 2-27 gal tanks strapped to the bow topside. I like this plan as it keeps as much weight forward as possible. 2859s are a bit tail heavy. You can do a search using the user name ksanders and the key word fuel tank.

2000, Ciera SC 2859
7.4L MPI Bravo II
MMSI# 338118874
Moderators: Jim Gandee
Time to create page: 0.518 seconds