Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: cabinet refacing and countertops

cabinet refacing and countertops 09 Oct 2017 19:31 #1

• mikeman
  • mikeman's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0
I just recently purchased a 2000 5288 and would like to refresh cabinetry and countertops in the galley and main salon without tearing out and completely replacing old stuff. Galley cabinets are the same white laminate used in many other Bayliner models over the years. The rest of cabinet exteriors the are the teak veneer looking material. Not sure what material is used on face of teak cabinets? Some of the cabinetry has faded due to sun damage, Any suggestions on refacing or replacing the white cabinet doors and teak like material on other surfaces? Also, would like to replace countertops with either quartz or corian. Are their pros and cons to using either in a boat? Thanks, Mike

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

cabinet refacing and countertops 09 Oct 2017 20:52 #2

• ksanders
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 230
As you know the countertop is going to be the easy part. Chose your material and your installation contractor.

Like you I am not all that fond of the white cabinets in the later model Bayliners, prefering the earlier all teak interiors.

Cabinets are built as a plywood box.
On the front there is a “face frame” which is what you see in all areas the doors do not cover. This face frame is removable.
You can have a new one made out of teak, along with doors that match .

The problem is finding someone with the skills to do the work. Custom land based cabinetmakers have the skills but they are a dying breed. The best place might be a full servicve shipyard that has a full woodshop and a cabinetmaker on the premises.
The following user(s) said Thank You: mikeman

KEVIN SANDERS
4788 LISAS WAY
SEWARD, ALASKA
www.mvlisasway.com

cabinet refacing and countertops 10 Oct 2017 01:11 #3

• simbad
  • Away
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 17
Look for BJ with Omega to reply or send him a PM I have been on his 57 and he recovered all his cabinetry with a Beinner that sticks on. Sounds cheap And though it might not work but it looks great though.

BLOG ABOUT MY BOAT... www.seattleboater.com
5788 Man 610's- Love Her !
Sold:Bayliner 3587 | Extended Hull

cabinet refacing and countertops 10 Oct 2017 16:39 #4

• Simonsen
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 115
I too have wrapped all my interior wood with a film. It's a lot of work but the results really modernize the boat! Either way it's a lot of work if you're going to sand/stain or wrap. If you wrap make sure you very clearly understand how to do it as it's not as easy as you'd think.

Derek

Family Boater
1997 Bayliner 4788 w/330 Cummins - Phoenix
(past) 1987 Bayliner 3218 w/135 Hino - True Story

cabinet refacing and countertops 10 Oct 2017 17:04 #5

• TenMile
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 215
A few years ago I had 2 doors on my boat replaced. The laminate material had peeled off from exposure to the sun/moisture. I found these guys: venlam.com/ -- if you send them the exact measurements of your existing doors, they can make you replacements in any colour, size, finish etc and ship them to you. I choose to use the existing door hardware but you could use new as well. In my case, I wanted to match the existing cabinet door colours and used their colour chart on their website. The doors were so close it was almost impossible to tell they had been replaced.

Replacement of 2 new doors including shipping cost me $160.

Terry
1999 Bayliner 3388
Twin Cummins 4BTA
Fisherman, Cruiser, Boaticus-enthusiasticus-maximus
Member Royal Victoria Yacht Club

cabinet refacing and countertops 10 Oct 2017 17:46 #6

• CptCrunchie
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 147

mikeman wrote: I just recently purchased a 2000 5288 and would like to refresh cabinetry and countertops in the galley and main salon without tearing out and completely replacing old stuff. Galley cabinets are the same white laminate used in many other Bayliner models over the years. The rest of cabinet exteriors the are the teak veneer looking material. Not sure what material is used on face of teak cabinets? Some of the cabinetry has faded due to sun damage, Any suggestions on refacing or replacing the white cabinet doors and teak like material on other surfaces? Also, would like to replace countertops with either quartz or corian. Are their pros and cons to using either in a boat? Thanks, Mike

Corian is widely used on boats because of its slightly lighter weight. However, it is no where near as durable as granite or quartz. Countertop Specialty wrote an excellent article on the benefits and issues with all three, dispelling many of the myths.

Personally, I've never been a fan of Corian because it always looks like what it is; it looks cheap. It can also be scratched and will dent of something heavy gets dropped on it. And try as they have, it will never replace the look of stone.

That said, any of them will work, but quartz and granite would be my preference on a boat that size.

As to the doors and fronts, being a furniture builder, what you are asking has more to do with what you want it to look like. There are some nice vinyl stick-ons, but again, nothing looks as nice as the real thing. I would ask a local cabinet shop to drop over and quote you on new fronts. Since they wouldn't be building the entire cabinet, and they won't have to redesign your galley, replacing the fronts is actually quite reasonable. Just remember, when it comes to teak, that the biggest cost is the material and the finishing.

"B on D C", is a 1989 2459 Trophy Offshore HT, OMC 5.7L, Cobra OD, Yamaha 15hp kicker. Lots of toys! I'm no mechanic, just a blue water sailer and woodworker who loves deep sea fishing.
MMSI: 367637220
HAM: KE7TTR
TDI tech diver
BoD, North Olympic Peninsula Puget Sound Anglers, Sequim, WA
Kevin
Last Edit: by CptCrunchie.

cabinet refacing and countertops 10 Oct 2017 18:52 #7

• Norton Rider
  • Thank you received: 605
This company makes custom counter top caps that are bonded over the existing counter top. On a boat they will cut down, or remove the raised edge before bonding the cap on. I've seen their work at a house and it looked nice:
www.granitetransformations.com/products/

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

1999 3788, Cummins 270 "Freedom"
2013 Boston Whaler 130 SS
Anacortes, WA
Last Edit: by Norton Rider.

cabinet refacing and countertops 10 Oct 2017 19:10 #8

• SKUA 28 Contessa
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • In over my head... for sure.
  • Thank you received: 74
There are also do it yourself pour on countertop finishes. A friend did their kitchen countertops, looked great. But i don't know about UV durability in marine use. Something you might want to look into.

1986 Bayliner Contessa 2850
On the hard undergoing, a full on refit and repower, with Chevrolet 454
Making real progress now
baylinerownersclub.org/index.php/forum/g...to-leak?limitstart=0

cabinet refacing and countertops 11 Oct 2017 05:14 #9

• igiftmon
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 61
Hi Mike,

I redid my cabinets throughout the boat. I did a combination of wrapping and staining the cabinetry. Below are a few pictures of the cabinets... like Derik said, it is a lot of work, but the results are beyond worth it. It modernizes the boat and makes really nice, it isn't too expensive if you use your own sweat equity. The price jumps if you hire someone to do it for you, I'm sure, I did my own work,,, when I did the upgrade, I also changed some of the cabinetry so it worked better for my needs.

I hope this helps... If you have any questions, let me know.

BJ
OMEGA

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

The following user(s) said Thank You: mikeman, Mr. Darcy

Last Edit: by igiftmon.

cabinet refacing and countertops 11 Oct 2017 14:21 #10

• CptCrunchie
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 147

igiftmon wrote: Hi Mike,

I redid my cabinets throughout the boat. I did a combination of wrapping and staining the cabinetry. Below are a few pictures of the cabinets... like Derik said, it is a lot of work, but the results are beyond worth it. It modernizes the boat and makes really nice, it isn't too expensive if you use your own sweat equity. The price jumps if you hire someone to do it for you, I'm sure, I did my own work,,, when I did the upgrade, I also changed some of the cabinetry so it worked better for my needs.

I hope this helps... If you have any questions, let me know.

BJ
OMEGA

Nice work, BJ. This could be a new career. $$$!
The following user(s) said Thank You: igiftmon

"B on D C", is a 1989 2459 Trophy Offshore HT, OMC 5.7L, Cobra OD, Yamaha 15hp kicker. Lots of toys! I'm no mechanic, just a blue water sailer and woodworker who loves deep sea fishing.
MMSI: 367637220
HAM: KE7TTR
TDI tech diver
BoD, North Olympic Peninsula Puget Sound Anglers, Sequim, WA
Kevin

cabinet refacing and countertops 13 Oct 2017 15:54 #11

• mikeman
  • mikeman's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0
Thanks BJ, The cabinets look great as does your entire interior. Did you replace your countertops too? Where is Omega moored? We are moored at Tacoma Yacht Cub. I would really like to visit with you by phone or email to get more information. What is best way to make contact? Thanks, Mike

cabinet refacing and countertops 14 Oct 2017 03:41 #12

• igiftmon
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member

mikeman wrote: Thanks BJ, The cabinets look great as does your entire interior. Did you replace your countertops too? Where is Omega moored? We are moored at Tacoma Yacht Cub. I would really like to visit with you by phone or email to get more information. What is best way to make contact? Thanks, Mike

Hi Mike,

I'm pretty close to you over in north Tacoma. I'd be happy to chat, email or meet you sometime and help any any I can. Send me an email or PM me and we'll figure a way to make it happen...

Talk to you soon,
~BJ

Last Edit: by igiftmon.

cabinet refacing and countertops 14 Oct 2017 04:52 #13

• Mr. Darcy
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Love to fish for tuna
  • Thank you received: 166
BJ, your boat's interior is absolutely fantastic! Nice work.
Thanks for sharing the photos.

Greg

Newport, Oregon
South Beach Marina
1986 3270 with twin 110 HP Hino diesels. Name of boat "Mr. Darcy"
Past work history: Prototyping, tooling, and repair for Reinell,. General fiberglass boat repair starting in 1976.
Also worked as heavy equipment mechanic, and machinery mechanic for over 30 years....

cabinet refacing and countertops 14 Oct 2017 05:44 #14

• igiftmon
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
Thank you for your kind words,,..

• Page:
Moderators: higgins_jrJim Gandee
Time to create page: 0.147 seconds