• Page:

TOPIC: Shaft issue

Shaft issue 12 Aug 2017 22:09 #1

• iceclimber
  • iceclimber's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 115
After running a bit then slowing down I can hear a high pitched sound (more like a rubbing/hum type noise) that winds down with the spinning of the shaft. I'm having the stuffing boxes repacked, I do check those occasionally for heat, and they drip water at a steady rate...probably too much hence the repack.

What else might I need to look at ? It's not doing it in gear at idle, I have to run the boat for a bit.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last Edit: by iceclimber.

Shaft issue (?) 13 Aug 2017 02:17 #2

• Pcpete
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 331
Watch your tranny temps. You may need a fluid change and cooler blow out.

P/C Pete
Edmonds Yacht Club (Commodore 1993)
1988 3818 "GLAUBEN"
1980 Encounter Sunbridge "Misty Blue" (Sold)
MMSI 367770440
1972 Chevrolet Nova Frame off Resto-mod in the garage
Boating on the Salish Sea since 1948

Shaft issue (?) 13 Aug 2017 11:51 #3

• smitty477
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 965

iceclimber wrote: After running a bit then slowing down I can hear a high pitched sound (more like a rubbing/hum type noise) that winds down with the spinning of the shaft. What else might I need to look at ? It's not doing it in gear at idle, I have to run the boat for a bit.

"

An unusual set of symptoms - it sounds a lot like the 'rubbing' only occurs at a specific engine speed and load level. Perhaps something is growing in the fixed stern tube behind the packing flex hose, or the shaft is touching the stern tube under load, or something is able to contact the trans flex plate.
I would watch closely the engine mounts and shaft movement that happens when the engine is put in gear and power is ramped up - near the engine mounts and at the stern tube area. Utilizing a camera to take some video that can be slowed down and reviewed in a convenient place may help a bunch.

Northport NY

Shaft issue (?) 13 Aug 2017 14:13 #4

• sockeye
  • Away
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 38
Just a thought but do you have shaft brushes (zincs) ?
We had a similar whine a couple weeks ago .I shut down the starboard engine and the sound
was there .I then restarted and shut down port engine and the sound was gone so i knew it was
on port side .Like you it only happened at certain rpm but it was a high pitched whine ,went away in reverse.
A buddy handled the controls and we went for a short ride in Vancouver harbor ,It was noticeable right away.
Just bent the metal bar (that attaches the zinc to the bonding system) a bit and the sound was gone. Nice
to have an easy fix for a change.My friend who is a commercial fisherman was told to put a little steel wool
between the zinc and the shaft for a better connection.So if you have shaft zincs check it out.

Shaft issue (?) 13 Aug 2017 14:39 #5

• yachtman
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 297
I had that problem sound once on mine. Although my shaft zincs were tight I got into some seaweed and the zinc slid down and was touching the strut. Moved zinc back up problem solved. Not saying that is your issue though.

1989 Avanti 3450 Sunbridge twin 454's

1979 Bayliner Conquest 3150 hull#23

1979 Bayliner Conquest 3150 hardtop hull#24
Twin chevy 350's

Shaft issue (?) 13 Aug 2017 14:44 #6

• iceclimber
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Thanks Captains, I will check out the shaft zincs let's hope it's that simple. I was thinking Cutlass bearing.
Thanks to the power of dem interwebs as a fresh water boat I see I need magnesium zincs.

Last Edit: by iceclimber.

Shaft issue 15 Aug 2017 05:21 #7

• guntar
  • Thank you received: 9
Did you do something with the props? It could be prop sing? I currently have similar after I changed props.

Guntar
1999 3988
Cummins 270s

Shaft issue 18 Aug 2017 03:59 #8

• iceclimber
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

guntar wrote: Did you do something with the props? It could be prop sing? I currently have similar after I changed props.

No, nothing with the props. I did have a funky alternator belt that may be suspect, swapped it out and changed the fluid in both transmissions...don't see anything out of the ordinary. Still waiting for the marina to pack the stuffing boxes. Just hoping it's not a cutlass bearing.

• Page:
Moderators: higgins_jrJim Gandee
Time to create page: 0.093 seconds