TOPIC: 3988 U-line ice maker B195

3988 U-line ice maker B195 19 Jun 2017 13:27 #1

• c350amg
  • c350amg's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 32
Good day fellow boaters,

When I bought my 3988 one of the things not working was the ice maker, at that time it was not high on my list of important things to do.

Last week I started to fix it, discovered it needed a new thermostat and immediately it started working... Good.

It makes ice perfectly, but as you can imagine after not running for years the cubes were pretty dirty .

Anyhow, cleaned the unit, but I am still getting black dots in the ice which is basically the teflon from the ice maker assembly pealing off.

Ok, tried to remove the ice maker assembly which proved impossible. I removed the units from the wall, unscrewed the back, removed the 2 side screws and the 3 screws under it.

Yet it will not move. I am puzzled. Also note that under the ice maker assembly in mine there is a cooling unit which seems to be one with the ice maker assembly.

Thanks for help in advance.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Eric
Bayliner 3988 1995 Hino 250hp
Last Edit: by c350amg.

3988 U-line ice maker B195 19 Jun 2017 13:40 #2

• Bay39
  • Poulsbo, WA
  • Thank you received: 12
Hey c350amg - I had the same thing on mine. Black chips on some of the ice. I ran several cycles of throwing out buckets and making more and it subsides. What happens is it will repeat after you shutdown, thaw after a weekend on the boat and restart the next time. I have learned to just leave it on during the entire summer (cold) with ice in the basket. I have surmised it is the defrost/then restart to freeze that causes the problem. I have an inverter so it stays on the whole time I am cruising. I just make sure to lift the ice (harvest) handle when at anchor for less draw and keep it shut. Most people I have talked to in the industry have told me fridges/compressors prefer to be always on anyways otherwise the seals dry out. Just like a home fridge - work them until they cannot work no more or run out of parts.

3988 U-line ice maker B195 19 Jun 2017 13:43 #3

• c350amg
  • c350amg's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 32

Bay39 wrote: Hey c350amg - I had the same thing on mine. Black chips on some of the ice. I ran several cycles of throwing out buckets and making more and it subsides. What happens is it will repeat after you shutdown, thaw after a weekend on the boat and restart the next time. I have learned to just leave it on during the entire summer (cold) with ice in the basket. I have surmised it is the defrost/then restart to freeze that causes the problem. I have an inverter so it stays on the whole time I am cruising. I just make sure to lift the ice (harvest) handle when at anchor for less draw and keep it shut. Most people I have talked to in the industry have told me fridges/compressors prefer to be always on anyways otherwise the seals dry out. Just like a home fridge - work them until they cannot work no more or run out of parts.

Actually I was thinking of doing just that. I just need to change (resistance to change) and let something running in my boat while I am away (aka my water pump is always at off when not there).

;-)

Eric
Bayliner 3988 1995 Hino 250hp
  • Page:
Moderators: higgins_jrJim Gandee
Time to create page: 0.089 seconds