Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Davit suggestions for a Bayliner 4788 swim platform?

Davit suggestions for a Bayliner 4788 swim platform? 19 Jun 2017 04:25 #1

• Technomadia
  • Technomadia's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 6
Unlike most 4788's, ours was never set up with a roof-mounted davit crane or boat deck - so we are trying to figure out what dinghy / davit system will work out best for our swim platform.

We haven’t acquired a dinghy yet, but aim to do so soon. Our current leading contender is an Achilles HB-310AX (10’2” x 5' 2"- 147lbs) with a 10hp to 20hp motor.

Now - we are trying to figure out the best way to bring it along with us.

Our boat's swim platform is 35" deep (though only 30" deep if you factor in the transom leaning out a bit), 12' 6" wide, and sits 12" above the water. The transom rises 36” above the swim platform. There is a swim ladder on the port side, a swing-in door to the cockpit on the starboard.

I think it is pretty typical as far as 4788’s go.

We had initially been drawn towards a Hurley H30+, but when I wrote Hurley last week they said that they didn’t think they had anything to offer that would work on a platform our size.

So if not a Hurley - what will work well on a 4788?

Our swim platform currently has Weaver clips on it, and the prior owner also gave us a Forespar Cargo-Mate 250lb manual winch that can be mounted on either side of the cockpit.

But we are not tied at all to keeping this current davit setup - and I don’t think it is well suited to the Achilles HB0-310AX.

Our overall goal is ease of use. We want a dinghy that is easy to deploy, and a davit system that keeps our swim platform useable for boarding while docked too.

The options out there are a bit overwhelming - and we'd love some advice.

Do any of you have any davit recommendations for us that would be a good match for our boat and the dinghy we are considering?

Cheers!

- Chris

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Chris & Cherie - www.technomadia.com
"Y-Not" - 1999 Bayliner 4788
"Zephyr" - 1961 GM PD4106 Vintage Bus RV Conversion

Full-Time nomads since 2006.
Now intending to spend half the year slowly doing the Great Loop in our 4788!

Davit suggestions for a Bayliner 4788 swim platform? 19 Jun 2017 11:48 #2

• smitty477
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 899
One idea before you choose a system - please try running with a similar amount of weight back there so you get a feel for what the boat dose when you load that much behind the stern. Hanging 400#'s or so (whatever you weight will be) back there is a lot different than carrying that much weight even 5 feet further forward.
If you have no issues with your 'test' than you will be fine with whatever you choose.

Northport NY

Davit suggestions for a Bayliner 4788 swim platform? 19 Jun 2017 14:34 #3

• Technomadia

smitty477 wrote: One idea before you choose a system - please try running with a similar amount of weight back there so you get a feel for what the boat dose when you load that much behind the stern. Hanging 400#'s or so (whatever you weight will be) back there is a lot different than carrying that much weight even 5 feet further forward.
If you have no issues with your 'test' than you will be fine with whatever you choose.

It isn't practical to redo our flybridge to put a dinghy up top, and we love having the open space up there.

So test or no test, we have no choice put to go with a dinghy on the swim platform.

Besides - there seem to be plenty of much smaller boats (many in these forums) with much heavier dinghies on the back.

We're just looking for some good davit recommendations.

Cheers,

- Chris

Davit suggestions for a Bayliner 4788 swim platform? 19 Jun 2017 18:17 #4

• knuckledragger
  • Thank you received: 8
Chris, I was looking to do the same thing until I spoke with a Meridian dealer at a boat show who said the extra weight on the swim platform is not a good idea. He went on to explain why but I honestly don't remember the reasoning. Hope this helps.

Last Edit: by knuckledragger.

Davit suggestions for a Bayliner 4788 swim platform? 19 Jun 2017 21:48 #5

• Technomadia

knuckledragger wrote: Chris, I was looking to do the same thing until I spoke with a Meridian dealer at a boat show who said the extra weight on the swim platform is not a good idea. He went on to explain why but I honestly don't remember the reasoning. Hope this helps.

Extra weight in the back will make planing a bit less efficient - but there are plenty of boats that cary their dinghies this way. Plenty of other Bayliner models never even had the option for having the dinghy up top.

- Chris

Davit suggestions for a Bayliner 4788 swim platform? 19 Jun 2017 23:23 #6

• k2duck4
  • Thank you received: 2
We went with the Sea-Wise Davit system We can launch and retrieve our dinghy in under a minute with little or no effort. We have the smaller 3870 and barely notice the weight. our dinghy is 10 ft achilles style with a four stroke twenty. Hope this helps
The following user(s) said Thank You: Technomadia

1985 3870 explore
Illusion

Davit suggestions for a Bayliner 4788 swim platform? 19 Jun 2017 23:30 #7

• Norton Rider
  • Away
  • Thank you received: 536
Chris - The tender setup on my 3788 is similar to yours: Achilles HB-310AL (same as yours without the bow locker) with a Suzuki 20 Hp outboard. I picked the Suzuki because it is the lightest 15-20 Hp motor. Instead of the bow locker I installed a bench seat with storage from Defender.com.

After looking at various alternatives my wife and I settled on an Olsson The ST-275 Tilt Davit. This davit is attached to the aft end of the swim step. Even with the davit up, one can walk between it and the transom. The only barrier is the block and tackle used to pull the davit up. We solved this issue by adding a second cleat to the top of the transom, on the opposite side as the block and tackle. In our case the block and tackle is on the port side. If we are going to dock to port we attach a line from the starboard arm of the davit to the starboard cleat and remove the block and tackle. If we are docking to starboard, we do not need to do anything. Incidentally, I got a high quality Garhauer block and tackle with more mechanical advantage to replace the one that came with the davit. Both my wife and I can raise or lower the inflatable fairly easily.

You can see the setup in the photo below. The cleat on the left side of the picture is the one we use to tie off the davit if we are docking to port.

1999 3788, Cummins 270 "Freedom"
2013 Boston Whaler 130 SS
Anacortes, WA

Davit suggestions for a Bayliner 4788 swim platform? 19 Jun 2017 23:33 #8

• Norton Rider
  • Away

k2duck4 wrote: We went with the Sea-Wise Davit system We can launch and retrieve our dinghy in under a minute with little or no effort. We have the smaller 3870 and barely notice the weight. our dinghy is 10 ft achilles style with a four stroke twenty. Hope this helps

While the Seawise Davit is a great unit, it blocks access to the swim step on one side.

Anacortes, WA

Davit suggestions for a Bayliner 4788 swim platform? 20 Jun 2017 14:20 #9

• donzi
  • Thank you received: 7
From a weight standpoint you should be fine... We run our 4788 with a 800lb Walker Bay 400 on our TNT Lift. I second Olsson Davits as they are well constructed (less expensive than TNT) and I have seen many installed on 4788's around Seattle. www.boatdavit.com

Best regards,

Jason

Jason M.
Bellevue, Washington
4788 "Third Day"
Cummins 330's
Last Edit: by donzi.

Davit suggestions for a Bayliner 4788 swim platform? 20 Jun 2017 16:06 #10

• CPT.BLAIR
  • Thank you received: 10
Norton Rider, Can you tell me the distance from the water to the top of you swim deck? I purchased the same Olsson davit you have and I am about to install on my 4387. However, I not sure if I need to add a ADD a block to raise the mounting bracket. My platform is fairly low, 9" I believe.

CPT.BLAIR
1993 4387 w/ 250 Hinos
Hampton, VA
1989 Sea Ray 390 w/454 Mercruisers
1983 3288 w/ 3.8 Chevy V6 gassers SOLD

Davit suggestions for a Bayliner 4788 swim platform? 20 Jun 2017 17:01 #11

• Simonsen
  • Away
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 111
I would love to have the same type of davit that Jason has on his boat then you really could use the tender as a "life raft" in the case of emergency! I've seen his out of the water and it's quite an extensive addition. Jason wasn't that on the boat when you got it? This type of set up is really great for ease of use and is one of the reason I like the Searay set up where the whole step goes into water via remote..yah!!

It would be interesting to get a waterline to bottom of the swim platform though with a heavy boat (full water/fuel etc). I usually have full tanks as we're in the lake and the fuel around the lake is really spendy in comparison to further North in the San Juans etc. At full fuel water level is just about at the top of the exhaust port especially on the port side (tender up top).

Either way best of luck with your choice!
Derek

Family Boater
1997 Bayliner 4788 w/330 Cummins - Phoenix
(past) 1987 Bayliner 3218 w/135 Hino - True Story

Davit suggestions for a Bayliner 4788 swim platform? 20 Jun 2017 20:41 #12

• Technomadia

k2duck4 wrote: We went with the Sea-Wise Davit system We can launch and retrieve our dinghy in under a minute with little or no effort. We have the smaller 3870 and barely notice the weight. our dinghy is 10 ft achilles style with a four stroke twenty. Hope this helps

Do you have any pictures of your setup?

Does the Sea-Wise block access to get off via the swim platform to one side? What about using the swim ladder?

There is a local Sea-Wise rep - I am definitely going to look deeper into this option.

Thanks!
- Chris

Davit suggestions for a Bayliner 4788 swim platform? 20 Jun 2017 22:37 #13

• Michellekw
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 39
We had the Roskelley/Olsson davit system when we had our 4788. The added weight of the dinghy may have lowered the stern, but it was very nice to have that extra space on the flybridge and to be able to drop the tender quickly using the remote control. Here is a picture of our setup:

This message has attachments images.

1991 57 Widebody Tollycraft "Solana"
Formerly:
Ladysmith, BC
Michelle
Last Edit: by Michellekw.

Davit suggestions for a Bayliner 4788 swim platform? 21 Jun 2017 01:54 #14

• Technomadia

Norton Rider wrote: After looking at various alternatives my wife and I settled on an Olsson The ST-275 Tilt Davit.

This looks like a very promising setup. I just looked up the spec page , and it says this:

"Maximum Capacity: 275 lbs. {Including Motor, Fuel Tank, Etc.)"

How heavy is your dinghy / engine setup? It seems a 20hp engine would be pushing the limits of this davit, wouldn't it?
Thanks!

- Chris

Davit suggestions for a Bayliner 4788 swim platform? 21 Jun 2017 02:03 #15

• Technomadia

Michellekw wrote: We had the Roskelley/Olsson davit system when we had our 4788. The added weight of the dinghy may have lowered the stern, but it was very nice to have that extra space on the flybridge and to be able to drop the tender quickly using the remote control. Here is a picture of our setup:

It is hard to tell from the angle of the picture - were you able to walk across / board via the swim platform with the davit in place?
Thanks!
- Chris

Davit suggestions for a Bayliner 4788 swim platform? 21 Jun 2017 02:15 #16

• bal734
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 66
Hi Chris,
I just went through your decision making process and ended up with a stainless Olsson fork davit just like Plum Lucky. boatdavit.com. 11 ft console RIB, 20 HP, 450 pounds. The davit is set up about 10 inches away from the transom which is invaluable. Clear access across the stern. Extra support under the swim step so everything is sturdy. Just a little more trim tab and performance is the same. Feel free to pm. Bruce

"Impasse". 2001 3988
Cummins 330's
Puget Sound

"You don't want to be the richest guy in the nursing home..."

Davit suggestions for a Bayliner 4788 swim platform? 21 Jun 2017 02:20 #17

• Norton Rider
  • Away

Technomadia wrote:

Norton Rider wrote: After looking at various alternatives my wife and I settled on an Olsson The ST-275 Tilt Davit.

This looks like a very promising setup. I just looked up the spec page , and it says this:

"Maximum Capacity: 275 lbs. {Including Motor, Fuel Tank, Etc.)"

How heavy is your dinghy / engine setup? It seems a 20hp engine would be pushing the limits of this davit, wouldn't it?
Thanks!

- Chris

I'm under the 275 Lb max: inflatable 121 Lb, motor 97 Lb, storage bench seat 15 Lb, fuel and tank 20 Lb; total 253 Lb. That leaves me around 20 Lb for extra stuff.

Your inflatable is 26 Lb heavier than mine, but you don't need the bench seat with storage because of the forward locker. The big issue is what motor do you have. All other 15-20 Hp outboards weigh more than the Suzuki.

Anacortes, WA
Last Edit: by Norton Rider.

Davit suggestions for a Bayliner 4788 swim platform? 21 Jun 2017 02:27 #18

• Norton Rider
  • Away

CPT.BLAIR wrote: Norton Rider, Can you tell me the distance from the water to the top of you swim deck? I purchased the same Olsson davit you have and I am about to install on my 4387. However, I not sure if I need to add a ADD a block to raise the mounting bracket. My platform is fairly low, 9" I believe.

Unfortunately I will not be back at the boat for a week or so. I recommend that you install it without blocks and see how it works. You can always add blocks later. In any case, make sure to install it as close to the aft edge of the swimstep a possible. If you install it too far in the tender may not clear the swimstep as you raise or lower it.

Anacortes, WA

Davit suggestions for a Bayliner 4788 swim platform? 21 Jun 2017 13:37 #19

• The Other Gary
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 109
On my 3988, slightly narrower and smaller transom I used Forespar Folding davits rated for 300 pounds. I added a gusset to strengthen them and electric winches.
Their fail point was 600 pounds and the gusset negated the fail point. They attach to both the swim platform and the transom.
I have a Grand 330 tender with a 20 Tohatsu, 380 pounds with fuel and battery and it rides solid on the stern. I particularly like the Fibreglass boarding steps built into the tube ends
Grand even used a picture of the boat for their latest ad.
By the way, I really like the Inflatable, it is made in Ukraine and designed by the former CEO of Brig Inflatables. Head office is in Toronto and they are opening dealers in the US as fast as they can.

This image is hidden for guests.

This image is hidden for guests.

"Adios Dinero"
1997 3988 with new 330 Cummins
Photo Credit: Whiskywizard

Davit suggestions for a Bayliner 4788 swim platform? 21 Jun 2017 20:18 #20

• Ruffryder
  • Thank you received: 1351

donzi wrote: From a weight standpoint you should be fine... We run our 4788 with a 800lb Walker Bay 400 on our TNT Lift. I second Olsson Davits as they are well constructed (less expensive than TNT) and I have seen many installed on 4788's around Seattle. www.boatdavit.com

Best regards,

Jason

Jason, what was the installed cost on that TNT?

Joon, Kathy, Jaden & Tristan
93 3058
92 2855
91 Fourwinns 205
Longbranch WA
Life is Good

Davit suggestions for a Bayliner 4788 swim platform? 21 Jun 2017 21:13 #21

• donzi
  • Thank you received: 7
The previous owner installed our TNT Lift, so I don't know what it cost him.... That being said, for a boat this size I think you are looking at something north of $20K.

Jason M.
Bellevue, Washington
4788 "Third Day"
Cummins 330's

Davit suggestions for a Bayliner 4788 swim platform? 21 Jun 2017 21:32 #22

• Technomadia

Norton Rider wrote: I'm under the 275 Lb max: inflatable 121 Lb, motor 97 Lb, storage bench seat 15 Lb, fuel and tank 20 Lb; total 253 Lb. That leaves me around 20 Lb for extra stuff.

Your inflatable is 26 Lb heavier than mine, but you don't need the bench seat with storage because of the forward locker. The big issue is what motor do you have. All other 15-20 Hp outboards weigh more than the Suzuki.

I talked with Olsson today - they said we'd likely be right up against the weight limit of the ST-275 ($2,300), but that it might work well. He said the next step up would be the RS-5 ($6,800!).

Another option we're considering is the Dinghy Caddy , which seems to be very similar to the ST-275. It is a bit cheaper though, and rated for 400lbs.

Does anyone here have any thoughts on how the Dinghy Caddy and ST-275 compare?

Cheers,
- Chris

Last Edit: by Technomadia. Reason: Typo

Davit suggestions for a Bayliner 4788 swim platform? 21 Jun 2017 21:55 #23

• Norton Rider
  • Away

Technomadia wrote:

Norton Rider wrote: I'm under the 275 Lb max: inflatable 121 Lb, motor 97 Lb, storage bench seat 15 Lb, fuel and tank 20 Lb; total 253 Lb. That leaves me around 20 Lb for extra stuff.

I talked with Olsson today - they said we'd likely be right up against the weight limit of the ST-275 ($2,300), but that it might work well. He said the next step up would be the RS-5 ($6,800!).

Another option we're considering is the Dinghy Caddy , which seems to be very similar to the ST-275. It is a bit cheaper though, and rated for 400lbs.

Does anyone here have any thoughts on how the Dinghy Caddy and ST-275 compare?

Cheers,
- Chris

It looks like the arms on the Dinghy Caddy are longer than those on the ST-275. This is actually a good thing, since it will ensure the dinghy clears the aft end of the swim step as you hoist it up and down.

Anacortes, WA

Davit suggestions for a Bayliner 4788 swim platform? 22 Jun 2017 19:14 #24

• Technomadia

Norton Rider wrote: Chris - The tender setup on my 3788 is similar to yours: Achilles HB-310AL (same as yours without the bow locker) with a Suzuki 20 Hp outboard. I picked the Suzuki because it is the lightest 15-20 Hp motor. Instead of the bow locker I installed a bench seat with storage from Defender.com.

BTW - I've been checking out the Suzuki engines, and they look great.

The dinghy is rated for 15HP max - I'm curious why you went with the 20HP version? Have you ever felt over-powered with your engine? Do you think we'd regret it if we went with the 15HP model?

I know under-the-hood the 15HP and 20HP are identical, other than the computer control module.

Cheers!

- Chris

Davit suggestions for a Bayliner 4788 swim platform? 22 Jun 2017 19:56 #25

• Norton Rider
  • Away

Technomadia wrote:

Norton Rider wrote: Chris - The tender setup on
my 3788 is similar to yours: Achilles HB-310AL (same as yours without the bow locker) with a Suzuki 20 Hp outboard. I picked the Suzuki because it is the lightest 15-20 Hp motor. Instead of the bow locker I installed a bench seat with storage from Defender.com.

BTW - I've been checking out the Suzuki engines, and they look great.

The dinghy is rated for 15HP max - I'm curious why you went with the 20HP version? Have you ever felt over-powered with your engine? Do you think we'd regret it if we went with the 15HP model?

I know under-the-hood the 15HP and 20HP are identical, other than the computer control module.

Cheers!

- Chris

I was originally looking for a lightweight 15 Hp motor for my previous dinghy and realized the 9.9, 15. and 20 Suzukis were basically the same motor with different ECUs and props. Based on that I decided to pay a bit more and get the 20. I was really disappointed when I first got it because the "20" decal fell off right away...

The dinghy feels a bit over-powered with one person aboard, but not with two. I haven't tried the 15, so I don't know if this would be the case with it. The main issue is motor trim: If I set the trim for one person the bow is too far down with a passenger on the bench seat. Conversely, if I optimize the trim for two people, the bow is too high with one person and the boat feels a bit skittish. Setting the engine trim on the Suzuki is actually very easy: tilt the motor up, pull the trim limit pin, and relocate it to a different hole. My concern is the possibility of dropping the pin in the water. I'm actually thinking of drilling a hole in the handle of the pin and attaching it to the outboard with a lanyard. This way I can reset the trim with no worries. Your boat may not be affected as much due to the forward locker. You may be able to set the trim to work well, whether you have two people or one aboard.

Incidentally, the Suzuki motor with EFI is great. It starts first pull every time, even in 28F degree weather.

Anacortes, WA
  • Page:
Moderators: higgins_jrJim Gandee
Time to create page: 0.592 seconds