TOPIC: Length of tender towline for 3988

Length of tender towline for 3988 27 Mar 2014 00:57 #26

• billsguns
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Camano Island WA
  • Thank you received: 50
I always towed mine in nutral and let the prop spin

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Length of tender towline for 3988 27 Mar 2014 01:00 #27

• mmichellich
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 378

billsguns wrote: I always towed mine in nutral and let the prop spin

My Arima engine would not idle well. As a result it sometimes died as it came up to the swim step, in gear and switch on. Dummy driver just jumped out and rigged up tow line.

Started boating 1965
Bayliners owned: 26 Victoria, 28 Bounty, 32, 38, and 47 since 1996

Length of tender towline for 3988 27 Mar 2014 01:55 #28

• dmcb
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 587
I also use Amsteel line but I would caution everyone on snaps.
I have broke snaps you wouldn't think would be possible.
And another thing I learned the hard way is knots on Amsteel don't hold like regular line. It is very slippery and I learned to tie a knot at the end of the line to prevent knots slipping.
I have towed some pretty heavy boats many thousand of miles over the past 50 years and never had a knot fail until I used this line.
Just a fyi.
I tow a 16.5' Aluminum Sea Nymph with a 90 Evinrude Etec. I usually carry 50 to 60 gallons of gas also so its heavy.
I also use a mooring line snubber to take up the shock. www.overtons.com/modperl/product/details...525&r=view&from=grid
And like others I use a second line as a backup.
Doug

Started boating 1955
Number of boats owned 32
Bayliners
3870 presently owned
Favorite boat. Toss up. 46' Chris Craft, 3870 Bayliner
Last Edit: by dmcb.

Length of tender towline for 3988 09 Aug 2017 16:24 #29

• Secondmates
  • Thank you received: 0
I have been towing a 1750 Scout for almost nine years very successfully with a single through bolt, large plate on both side and a stainless loop. Typically at 8 - 12 kts. I designed and have been using a spring that absorbs the shock of waves and start up and it works wonderfully. This weekend the 3/4" nylon rope broke under tow, but discovered it was deteriorated and needed replacement likely some time ago (used rope). I'm now looking for replacement that will secure the approximately 2000lb boat with a measured towing tensil of 450 lbs (actual) x 3 for safety factor. I think I'm on the right track as the prior 9 years was in all conditions, some very rough seas and rapids on the west coast. Please comment if you have ideas. Thanks

Length of tender towline for 3988 09 Aug 2017 16:43 #30

• mmichellich
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 378
75 feet 5/8 braided poly line. The Blue stuff. Survived many 1000 mile trips over many years. Easy on hands and it floats. Towed 17 ft Arima and 19 foot Seaswirl. both buddy cabinns.

Started boating 1965
Bayliners owned: 26 Victoria, 28 Bounty, 32, 38, and 47 since 1996
Last Edit: by mmichellich.

Length of tender towline for 3988 10 Aug 2017 20:22 #31

• aluxury1
  • Thank you received: 17
You all have convinced me to keep my RIB on the davits!

Brett
2001 Ciera 2858 EC
2007 Mercruiser D'Tronic 250
Sane people, tossing good money into a hole in the water!

Length of tender towline for 3988 10 Aug 2017 22:32 #32

• LeePTI
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 152
#1 - 12' Zodiac hard bottom w/50ph Yamaha towed at slow speeds behind 4788. Outboard down or up?

#2 - Is the single eyelet in the Zodiac bow strong enough to tow? There are no other cleats or D-Rings on the bow.

I do not plan on running on plane and will only be going perpendicular to the swells.

Advice?

Lee
2007 Meridian 490
2007 Meridian 368
1996 2855 Cierra
1978 Caribbean 26'
Oceanside, CA

Length of tender towline for 3988 10 Aug 2017 22:48 #33

• Norton Rider
  • Thank you received: 569

LeePTI wrote: #1 - 12' Zodiac hard bottom w/50ph Yamaha towed at slow speeds behind 4788. Outboard down or up?

#2 - Is the single eyelet in the Zodiac bow strong enough to tow? There are no other cleats or D-Rings on the bow.

I do not plan on running on plane and will only be going perpendicular to the swells.

Advice?

#1 - I recommend that you try it both ways, engine up and engine down and see how the Zodiac reacts. I did this with our 13' Boston Whaler and found that it yawed from side to side with the engine up, but tracked straight with it down.
The following user(s) said Thank You: LeePTI

1999 3788, Cummins 270 "Freedom"
2013 Boston Whaler 130 SS
Anacortes, WA

Length of tender towline for 3988 11 Aug 2017 01:04 #34

• Dirtyface
  • Away
  • Thank you received: 19
Speed, length of dinghy, and length of line all play factors. For us 14' rib/50hp tow motor up always..length of tow line is depending on speed...less tha 10kts 35' towline, it starts to get squirrelly as you go faster. I am currently running aboout 75-80' at 16-17kts, 100' at 20kts...basically the longer the towline the better but make sure you are past the second wave of the of the wake...I think every boat/dinghy combo may be different so takes some experimentation FWIW
The following user(s) said Thank You: LeePTI

Brad & Michelle
Bo (Yellow Lab)
1993 3688 "the Kraken"
Hino W06 250HP
14' Avon RIB, 50hp Tohatsu
Moored at Shelter Bay
LaConner, WA

Length of tender towline for 3988 13 Aug 2017 23:59 #35

• kev_rm
  • 1987 3870 Hino 175's
  • Thank you received: 28
Brad, I am curious what conditions you are towing in?

I'd love to always tow but worry a lot about rough conditions and therefore prefer to have tender on the boat.

Length of tender towline for 3988 14 Aug 2017 05:18 #36

• kwb
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 82
I just got back from 2 weeks towing a 16' CC.

Tow about 130' back. I play with speed to get it on the downhill side of the wake, it wanders a bit more but seems to ride a bit better and not be pulling as hard on the line.

Motor up - spinning the lower unit isn't recommended based on feedback I have gotten from reputable service guys.

Have had it up to 14.5kn but that is all I can get out of the 175's, wish I could get a bit more.

Crossing Rosario we had a pretty sloppy 4' kind of day with 1/4mi visibility. Heading up was across a 2-3ft swell in 1/8mi visibility fog. Rest of the time was pretty smooth.

The single bow eye should be strong enough to support the entire boat - that is the best spot to attach to. The D-rings will tear off a tube.

1989 3888
Nobody gets out alive.
Last Edit: by kwb.

Length of tender towline for 3988 14 Aug 2017 11:36 #37

• smitty477
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 938
We towed various RIBS for many years at about 700-800 miles per season at speeds typically at `15-17 knots.
Some things we learned along the way:
- 80' turned out to be our best tow length
- We used two tow points on the RIB placed on each side and low enough to allow some lift
- Backed up the side tow points with starboard and large SS plates/washers
- the tow bridle had two attachment points on the towing boat as well
- we preferred amsteel (dyneema) for the two line as it was light, floated and had great strength
- RIBS with self bailing cockpits are really a must
- Tow with engine up
- Towing RIBS below about 15' were problematic due to the wagging nature as well as problems in rougher seas
- we used 4" assymetric snap clips (2) to attach the tow line in two places at the RIB for quick release
- the smallest RIB we towed in rough weather was 14', the largest RIB we towed was 24'
- the towing boats speed was affected by about 0.5-0.7 knots with the largest tow.
- to the best or our ability to measure it the mileage on the towing boat decreased by about 5-6% when towing a 24'/#3,500 RIB

Towing larger RIBS allowed us to do some great adventures exploring many places as well as allowing us to go skiing, wakeboarding, grocery runs and having a great time.
Please try it, you will very likely never stop if you do.

Northport NY

Length of tender towline for 3988 15 Aug 2017 07:06 #38

• simbad
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 16
Bit of a novice at this towing lark. But have played around a little. Last weekend we towed from vashon to bainbridge running at about 13 knots.
I didn't buy a dedicated tow line but had some strong looking rope in the lazzarette that I think had been used as a stern anchor line by the PO. It has a sturdy clip on the end.
14' zodiac with 50hp Honda. Engine up. Tow line on Hull ring on the dinghy and single tied to a very sturdy pole clear in the center of the swim platform. Fwd next to the transom.

Towed like a beauty. Boat was dry. Didn't weave around. I had the line out abou 75 feet I reckon. Just off the second wake wave.
Not sure if I need to go. It some Amsteel line like recommended here. She seemed to do great.

BLOG ABOUT MY BOAT... www.seattleboater.com
5788 Man 610's- Love Her !
Sold:Bayliner 3587 | Extended Hull

Length of tender towline for 3988 15 Aug 2017 20:00 #39

• Dirtyface
  • Away
  • Thank you received: 19

kev_rm wrote: Brad, I am curious what conditions you are towing in?

I'd love to always tow but worry a lot about rough conditions and therefore prefer to have tender on the boat.

I tow in all conditions...when it's really rough I have to slow down obviously but I have seen the dinghy come completely out of the water when hitting very large waves at speed and although it freaked me out, the dinghy landed slightly crooked but immediately straightened out and resumed it's original course.

For anyone wanting to tow, I don't claim to be an expert but here is what works really well for us given our size boat and dinghy.

Preparation for departure (boat)
Attach tow bridle (5/8" dock line) from Port stern cleat to Starboard stern cleat with enough slack that it will only extend to the back of the swim step. Attach 4" SS carrabiner to tow bridle.
Get towline ready (it is housed in a garden hose reel box which doubles as a table in the cockpit when not in use), so basically move the box so I can pull line directly out to unreel.

Preparation for departure (dinghy):
Trim motor up, center motor and attach bungy to steering wheel so motor cannot swing.
Attach main towline to bow eye with slack (it will not be used to tow going into/out of slip)
Attach front dinghy tube cleat regular dock line (3/8ths?) to starboard stern cleat, attach rear tube cleat to port cleat.
I should mention that our dinghy is longer than our boat is wide so I have the bow of the dinghy basically flush with the starboard side of the boat and the stern sticks out to the port side (our transom door is on the starboard side so that is almost always the side we tie up on). At this point the dinghy is attached and ready to leave the slip (yes the dinghy is perpendicular to the forward/reverse motion of the boat but this will not be a problem for a rib and it will only be this way until you can get into the fairway/open space to rig for towing, also the boat handles the same as normal vs. having drag on one side)

Back out of slip, pivot onto fairway and ahead slow to an area where you are comfortable to untie dinghy. Untie dinghy from port boat cleat leaving line on stern dinghy cleat still attached, just throw it in the dinghy. untie front dinghy line from starboard stern cleat, throw the line in the dinghy.
Unreel towline, bumping ahead slow until you reach the desired distance to tow and hook up towline to carrabiner on tow bridle.

Also, I have 3 loops on my towline at different lengths to attach to which gives a lot of flexibilty.

You are now towing!

Arrival:
We usually prep for arrival just outside the breakwater unless it's really bumpy and then will do it inside. Come to a stop in an area where there is minimal congestion if possible, start backing boat up to dinghy taking in slack from towline as you go. When the dinghy is at the swim step, grab the front tube cleat dock line and attach to starboard cleat on boat, maneuver dinghy to grab the dinghy tube stern line (ours is 20' long), get off swim step back into cockpit with dinghy dock line in your hand, tie to boat stern cleat with slack. This will allow you to pull the dinghy straight until you get close to where you need to dock. When close just come to a stop and shorten the stern line so the dinghy is sideways to the swim step like when you departed and dock as normal.

Things I have done to make it easier/safer:
Added a ski boat tow mirror to the fly bridge so I can keep an eye on the dinghy without having to turn my head.
When retrieving dinghy, it is easier to back up to it than pull it in (the admiral really appreciates that).
Minimize time on the swim step and don't get ahead of yourself (make sure dinghy always has at least one line tied to it (Ask me how I know!)
When on swim step, have a life jacket on.

I summary, I probably made this seem more complicated than it really is but it's an easy routine that works for us. No stress, easy to handle and the Admiral won't hate it which was my biggest concern when we got a larger dinghy and had to tow...FWIW

PS - Neither the Admiral nor myself would ever go back to a smaller tender just so it could be on a davit :-) I have also single handed the boat using this method with the only difference is I didn't back to the dinghy, just pulled it in for obvious reasons...

Brad & Michelle
Bo (Yellow Lab)
1993 3688 "the Kraken"
Hino W06 250HP
14' Avon RIB, 50hp Tohatsu
Moored at Shelter Bay
LaConner, WA

Length of tender towline for 3988 15 Aug 2017 21:57 #40

• smitty477
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
"PS - Neither the Admiral nor myself would ever go back to a smaller tender just so it could be on a davit :-)"

Yes - absolutely we could not agree more. The problem is that describing this to folks that have not done it is very hard and convoluted.
Having a support boat that is larger than an average RIB opens up so many options and experiences.
We began towing larger RIBS around 1992 and it was always a great time for sure.

Northport NY

Length of tender towline for 3988 15 Aug 2017 23:24 #41

• kwb
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 82
One summer for us and we are sold with the big tender (NOT A RIB - no more of those for me, when I unload the ones I still have I won't look back). It is a bit of a PITA coming into guest moorage sometimes but I have a couple ideas on better ways to tie off the back for a lot of slip assignments. Other option is to have someone hop in the tender and then help land the mothership from the dock. Next year we hope to be able to take more advantage of the range we now have and do more exploring.

There is no chance in hell we would have made the runs we did in our old 12' RIB even though it was setup with steering and okay seats.

1989 3888
Nobody gets out alive.
Last Edit: by kwb.

Length of tender towline for 3988 16 Aug 2017 11:47 #42

• smitty477
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
"Next year we hope to be able to take more advantage of the range we now have and do more exploring."

Agreed- the range and speed can give you options you did not have before. We have used the RIBS tp pick up folks from the mainland when in BI and to run up the Hudson to Troy from 35 miles south - just a couple of examples.
The larger RIBS had ranges over 350 miles and could cruise at 30+ knots making runs like these easy.

Northport NY

Length of tender towline for 3988 16 Aug 2017 13:33 #43

• Norton Rider
I cruise in many areas without docks; shore access requires beaching a boat. The beaches in this area range from soft sand to sharp, irregular rocks. Moreover, the tidal changes can be pretty extreme, leaving a tender high and dry. So I prefer a two tender solution: a light RIB on davits to use as a shore boat, and a larger tender to go exploring. I carry a 10' aluminum RIB on a tilt davit and tow a 13' Boston Whaler.

Anacortes, WA

Length of tender towline for 3988 16 Aug 2017 14:51 #44

• smitty477
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

Norton Rider wrote: I cruise in many areas without docks; shore access requires beaching a boat. The beaches in this area range from soft sand to sharp, irregular rocks. Moreover, the tidal changes can be pretty extreme, leaving a tender high and dry. So I prefer a two tender solution: a light RIB on davits to use as a shore boat, and a larger tender to go exploring. I carry a 10' aluminum RIB on a tilt davit and tow a 13' Boston Whaler.

Tidal changes - we have 9' here is some places so with the larger RIBs we often dropped and anchor out past low tide ranges and used a 'loop' of rope to bring the dinghy in and out to the beach.
We also had more than one Inflatable with us on many occasions : 9' airfloor on the swim step. 112.5 on the boat deck and a 19' in tow. One of the larger RIBS had a drop down loading ramp that allowed both beach access as well as loading of the smaller inflatables, bicycles and scooters onto the RIB.
Many ways to skin the cat if you have a goal in mind.....

Northport NY

Length of tender towline for 3988 16 Aug 2017 16:49 #45

• Norton Rider

smitty477 wrote: ... Tidal changes - we have 9' here is some places so with the larger RIBs we often dropped and anchor out past low tide ranges and used a 'loop' of rope to bring the dinghy in and out to the beach.....

I've been meaning to try that or an Anchor Buddy with my Boston Whaler; I just haven't gotten around to it. I'm still concerned about rocky shores and bashing the bottom of the boat while we get on and off.

Anacortes, WA
  • Page:
Moderators: higgins_jrJim Gandee
Time to create page: 0.139 seconds