Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Length of tender towline for 3988

Length of tender towline for 3988 24 Mar 2014 19:05 #1

• Bob Griffith
  • Bob Griffith's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0
I recently acquired a pristine 2006 13' Avon RIB which I intend to tow with our 3988. The boat/motor combo weighs about 850 lbs. I am planning to have a tow bridle and line to attach to the Avon bow eye prefabricated. Does anyone have know the correct towline diameter and overall length for towing both off of and up on plane?

Thanks, Bob

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Length of tender towline for 3988 24 Mar 2014 19:19 #2

• NeilW
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Alameda, CA
  • Thank you received: 276
I set the tow length so the rib rides just aft of my wake at slow speeds, not sure how long that is. I never tow when up on a plane!

www.boatyardgm.com
www.pacificyachtimports.net
2002 Carver Voyager 57
"Making Waves"
3988 250 Hinos
"The Dark Side"
Alameda, California

Length of tender towline for 3988 24 Mar 2014 19:22 #3

• mmichellich
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 380
Overkill is better. I always used 5/8 polly braided (not the cheap yellow crap) for tow lines from 50-80 feet for our 38 and 47s. I did not want the tow line to break in the worst case conditions. I towed with this line from an 8 foot inflatables up to 19 foot cuddy cabin/;w 2 outboards weighing 3000 pounds. I used a bridle that attached to both rear corner cleats and used 3 crab pot torpedo shaped floats (pointed ends toward the boat) on the bridle made of a one inch dock line with a 9 inch loop in the middle to attach the tow line. The bridle allowed the loop to be about 6-8 feet behind the boat.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Smitty

Started boating 1965
Bayliners owned: 26 Victoria, 28 Bounty, 32, 38, and 47 since 1996

Length of tender towline for 3988 24 Mar 2014 19:22 #4

• Alaskanmutt
  • Anchorage Alaska
  • Thank you received: 323
The length should be enough to put the RIB 2 swells behind and in step with the towing boat at cruise speed (both in the trough or both on the swell) This will reduce shock loading the tow line, tow points and both boats.

Boatless at this time

A veteran is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America," for an amount of "up to and including their life."
Last Edit: by Alaskanmutt.

Length of tender towline for 3988 24 Mar 2014 19:28 #5

• Pacrimrat
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • 1995 4788, PNW
  • Thank you received: 136
Bob,

I use Amsteel Blue 5/16”, This looks a bit small but it has a minimum strength of 12,300 lbs. I also use it for shore tying. It floats and has very little stretch. If it breaks is won't whip back and take off your head. Because it doesn't have any stretch I made a bridle out of nylon to take up some shock.
It's not cheap but great stuff.

As far as how far back to tow I find it varies with condition and speed. I have 100 feet available but very seldom tow that far back. I have lines pre-rigged so I can pull the tender along side for docking or close quarters..
Chris

Length of tender towline for 3988 24 Mar 2014 19:37 #6

• smitty477
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 964
Similar to all the above posts we tow with a "Y" bridle both sides and with amsteel line for the main length. We aim to be on the back side of the second wave when up on plane and that turned out to be about 80' in our case. We use some heavy chafe protection where the lines meet the towing boat as well as all connection points. We have successfully towed various RIBS between 15-24 feet for over 12 years now and maybe 1,000 miles total. The ability to safely tow a RIB at speed relies on its size and I would be a bit concerned that a 13' Rib is just a bit too small to be safe in anything more than a 2-3 foot sea state.
Please make sure that the towed boat is correctly propped to tow so that the engines do not inadvertently get overloaded.

pic of tow bridle:

im1.shutterfly.com/media/47b7dd22b3127cc...0/rx%3D550/ry%3D400/

pic of towing a RIB:

im1.shutterfly.com/media/47b7dc25b3127cc...0/rx%3D550/ry%3D400/

Hope this helps

Northport NY

Length of tender towline for 3988 24 Mar 2014 22:57 #7

• carguy
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 20

Alaskanmutt wrote: The length should be enough to put the RIB 2 swells behind and in step with the towing boat at cruise speed (both in the trough or both on the swell) This will reduce shock loading the tow line, tow points and both boats.

This is right but I can tell you from experience that it's hard to relax while towing something. Have you considered davits?

Doug
Hanging Loose
98 Carver 350 Mariner
2013-
KRUSTY KRAB
2001 305
5.7 BII
2006-2013
Last Edit: by carguy.

Length of tender towline for 3988 24 Mar 2014 23:36 #8

• Alaskanmutt
  • Anchorage Alaska
  • Thank you received: 323
I don't tow any more, But I did a lot when I was in the Coast Guard....

My tender goes on the hardtop.

The Swimdeck is for shrimp pots and peeing (not at the same time)

Boatless at this time

A veteran is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America," for an amount of "up to and including their life."

Length of tender towline for 3988 25 Mar 2014 01:52 #9

• Bob Griffith
  • Bob Griffith's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0
"The ability to safely tow a RIB at speed relies on its size and I would be a bit concerned that a 13' Rib is just a bit too small to be safe in anything more than a 2-3 foot sea state.
Please make sure that the towed boat is correctly propped to tow so that the engines do not inadvertently get overloaded."

All of our boating is on the Columbia River so we seldom see anything over 2' seas. And our 3988 with twin Cummins 6bta 315 hp rated at 2800 rpm peaks out at +/- 2900 rpm fully loaded so we should have a reasonable cushion on the engine loading.

Thanks to everyone for all of your excellent comments.

Bob

Length of tender towline for 3988 25 Mar 2014 02:51 #10

• billsguns
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Camano Island WA
  • Thank you received: 50
I have towed a tender for more than 25 years. First a 13 foot Whaler and now a 15 foot Scout. I have a 125 foot tow line 5/8" nylon I do not use a bridle I tow from 1 cleat. Lots of my friend thought this was just wrong however after boating with me and saw how easy and how well it worked have converted to the 1 cleat tow I tow on the second wave. The distance varies with speed. Depending on sea conditions where the dinghy rides on the second wave can be adjusted to reduce drag

+ 1 on what Mickey said "Overkill is better. I did not want the tow line to break in the worst case conditions"

Length of tender towline for 3988 25 Mar 2014 04:07 #11

• Papa Charlie
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 165
We towed our 13 foot whaler for a summer in the islands. I purchased a dedicated tow line from Top Knot . I got the bridle and the tow line. The Y bridle is fine but most of the time I did not use it as you need to shorten or lengthen the tow depending on the speed of the boat, the water conditions and if you are pulling into a marina. I purchased the bridle in 5/8" but only 80 feet long. The size was because it could double as a tow line for our 3218 should the need every arise but the length was insufficient in my opinion.
Now with our 4588 I plan to replace the tow line with a single 3/4", 150 foot line for towing our boat or other large boats,which I have had to do. I plan to have a snap hook on one end for easy connection to the tow eye on our 12 foot RIB and the other end with nothing for ease of adjusting the length as necessary.
The length is good for towing just about anything. I towed a big trawler in with my old line and we were way too close with the 80 foot line I use to have.
One thing I like about Top Knot lines is they are well made, multi braided strand and designed to float.

Patrick and Patti
4588 Pilothouse 1991
12ft Endeavor RIB 2013
M/V "Paloma"
MMSI # 338142921

Length of tender towline for 3988 25 Mar 2014 04:35 #12

• Sea Q
  • Thank you received: 12
use Amsteel Blue 5/16”, This looks a bit small but it has a minimum strength of 12,300 lbs.

This stuff is amazing i replaced my s steal davit winch cable for a 2,000 lb tender
Does not bounce under tension like steel. Only problem i here from it it can fray easily
as for towing i made a dual line v to small boat front cleat with floats on all the ends with a floating blue steel rope .
And have to let it out just far enough to hit that sweet spot ;not in the froth wake but in the blue water just behind

Towed 15 foot glass tender once up Johnston straight in rough stuff; not to much fun .Got to a point i had a knife ready if it sunk
i never tow traveling any more ; only to move short distances I like having the ship shape in case

Length of tender towline for 3988 25 Mar 2014 15:25 #13

• billsguns
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Camano Island WA
I have never had an issue because of sea conditions. Over the years we have been in sea conditions that were ugly but when it is realy ugly it is a comfort knowing the skif is ready to go.

Length of tender towline for 3988 25 Mar 2014 16:53 #14

• smitty477
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
"I have never had an issue because of sea conditions. Over the years we have been in sea conditions that were ugly but when it is realy ugly it is a comfort knowing the skif is ready to go."

+1 , good point Billsguns

Our larger inflatables have been involved in towing and saving a umber of boats on/near the rocks over he years and just this past year we towed a 45 Cruisers with us back to port using the inflatable. They have come in handy many times.

Hope this helps

Northport NY

Length of tender towline for 3988 25 Mar 2014 22:17 #15

• mmichellich
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
I am having trouble understanding why you really need to continue to change the length of the tow line. I have used the same length tow line at all speeds from 8 knots to 18 knots with no issues on our 47 towing everything from an 8 foot inflatable to a 19 Ft Sea Swirl cuddy cabin with two outboards. I have thought about going to the new thin lines like the Amsteel, but I find smaller lines are hard on my hands and fingers as we have to pull the boat in by hand at least once per day. I would like to caution all those that tow, think of your worst nightmare sea conditions towing and build you tow system to handle that. When towing large boats like the Sea Swirl above, I even connect the tow line to two different bow eyes on the boat towed. Bills Guns knows what sea conditions around Cape Caution can be. I have a photo of our 47 towing a 17 foot Arima cuddy cabin on the way to Alaska. A friend was passing us as we went by the Cape Caution light. The photo taken with his telephoto lens shows the Cape Caution light between the bottom of the Arima and the water. Yup the Arima was coming that far out of the water in the big ocean swells. The Arima weighed over 2000 pounds. On the way back that trip as we passed Namu we saw the Arima being thrown completely out of the water again, this time in flat water. Finally figured out a bull orca was playing with it, going under and flipping it out of the water. The tow line held, but we shot all the film we had on board.

Started boating 1965

Length of tender towline for 3988 25 Mar 2014 22:38 #16

• smitty477
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
"I am having trouble understanding why you really need to continue to change the length of the tow line. I have used the same length tow line at all speeds from 8 knots to 18 knots with no issues on our 47 towing everything from an 8 foot inflatable to a 19 Ft Sea Swirl cuddy cabin with two outboards"

+1
We do the same thing as mmicheliich - we use one length line but at hull speeds and harbor traffic we back down to the boat and tie it off a cleat at maybe 20" long or so.
We never pull hard against any towing line as we always back down to retrieve the tow.

"When towing large boats like the Sea Swirl above, I even connect the tow line to two different bow eyes on the boat towed."

Again I agree 100% - we always use two tow points on each side of the line both the towed and towing boat. Each individual tow point is rated far above what the tow would be on a single point so with both pulling the safety factor is very large. This way we have two fast snap clips, two tow points on the tow and two chafe guards protecting the tow lines.
On the towed boat we use very large over-rated tow rings permanently mounted through the hull and further backed up by large backing including 2 x 6 plastic decking lumber and 1/8" SS plate to distribute the load out further. We want no issues with damage to the towed or towing boat and they do very well even in very rough weather.
I will try and find a pic or two of the towed boats rings setup.

Hope this helps

Pic of tow rings (2) -

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

Northport NY
Last Edit: by smitty477. Reason: add picture

Length of tender towline for 3988 26 Mar 2014 01:04 #17

• billsguns
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Camano Island WA
The second wave changes it's position as the speed changes I also adjust for sea conditions. If we are in calm seas I like my dinghy surfing on the crest of the wave. This eliminates a lot of the drag, however you dont want your dinghy sliding down the face of the wave. As sea conditions get worse I let out more line and let it ride on the backside of the wave.

Length of tender towline for 3988 26 Mar 2014 01:20 #18

• mmichellich
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

billsguns wrote: The second wave changes it's position as the speed changes I also adjust for sea conditions. If we are in calm seas I like my dinghy surfing on the crest of the wave. This eliminates a lot of the drag, however you dont want your dinghy sliding down the face of the wave. As sea conditions get worse I let out more line and let it ride on the backside of the wave.

Bill maybe the 47 has a different shaped wake than the 32???

Started boating 1965

Length of tender towline for 3988 26 Mar 2014 01:32 #19

• smitty477
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
"Bill maybe the 47 has a different shaped wake than the 32??? "

FWIW - picture above in post #6 is the 47 wake at about 17 knots for comparison.

Hope this helps

Northport NY

Length of tender towline for 3988 26 Mar 2014 04:45 #20

• builderdude
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • "THE FIX"
  • Thank you received: 806

billsguns wrote: The second wave changes it's position as the speed changes I also adjust for sea conditions. If we are in calm seas I like my dinghy surfing on the crest of the wave. This eliminates a lot of the drag, however you dont want your dinghy sliding down the face of the wave. As sea conditions get worse I let out more line and let it ride on the backside of the wave.

+1
Adjustment may be necessary with different speed and sea condition.

Dave
Edmonds, WA
"THE FIX"
'93 2556 5.7 Bravo II 2.0:1 18 1/4x19 P
.030 over-Vortec top end-part closed cooled
***The rebuild of my 2556***
www.baylinerownersclub.org/index.php/for...ansom-repair-my-2556
Last Edit: by builderdude.

Length of tender towline for 3988 26 Mar 2014 13:49 #21

• aspen1880
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 119
I recently played with towing my 11 foot dingy and its 30 hp outboard. I put the
outboard as far as it goes in the up/out position. the prop is about 6 inches
out of the water...

are there sea conditions where you'd want to tow with the dinghy outboard in
the water? perhaps the extra drag would be useful in some contexts?

Novurania 335DL. 30HP. WKRP in cincinnati. Previously: Bayliner 3818 in PNW.

Length of tender towline for 3988 26 Mar 2014 14:01 #22

• smitty477
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
":are there sea conditions where you'd want to tow with the dinghy outboard in
the water? perhaps the extra drag would be useful in some contexts?"

Usually done when you are trying to deter the 'swinging' side to side affect under tow.
although this can help that affect the drag is immediately 'let go' and then 'comes back hard' when the dinghy catches any air.
This of course will add drag and also tension to all the tow points and the towing boat.

The other methods to avoid 'swinging' side to side include : Towing on the back of the 2nd following wave, using a "V" or "Y" bridle, avoiding towing shorter length boats with heavier (relative to size) outboards.

Hope this helps
The following user(s) said Thank You: aspen1880

Northport NY

Length of tender towline for 3988 26 Mar 2014 14:31 #23

• billsguns
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Camano Island WA
[/quote]

Bill maybe the 47 has a different shaped wake than the 32???[/quote]

That could be it and I do not use a bridal. My boat for sure does not have the typical Bayliner Wake

Length of tender towline for 3988 26 Mar 2014 14:36 #24

• billsguns
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Camano Island WA

aspen1880 wrote: I recently played with towing my 11 foot dingy and its 30 hp outboard. I put the
out of the water...

I towed my Whaler with the engine up because it wouldnt track straight. I tow my Scout with the engine up. If you want more drag because of sea conditions let out more line so it sets on the back side of the second wave

Length of tender towline for 3988 26 Mar 2014 20:04 #25

• mmichellich
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

aspen1880 wrote: I recently played with towing my 11 foot dingy and its 30 hp outboard. I put the
out of the water...

I think it is more a function of the boats hull you are towing. We have towed every single boat we have towed but one, the 17 foot Arima cuddy cabin, with the engines up. That boat had a hull that was a lot more flat than most. That allowed a smaller engine to get the boat on plane but rough water created a lot more pounding. Now towing that boat, the engine had to be down. If you did not tow it engine down, the boat fish tailed all over the place at all speeds and tow line length. If you accidentally left the switch on, engine down and off, you got the embarrassing experience of docking, shutting off you Bayliner engine and still had an engine running somewhere. Towing created enough force to crank over the engine and start it while towing it. It gives you an idea of the extra drag on the Bayliner.

Started boating 1965
  • Page:
Moderators: higgins_jrJim Gandee
Time to create page: 0.148 seconds