Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: 4788 Davit Rotation Stuck

4788 Davit Rotation Stuck 08 Jun 2013 22:05 #1

• ckrahn
  • ckrahn's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 2
I'm just getting around to the davit on this recently purchased 1999 4788 and find that I cannot push the davit arm in any direction. I raised the arm and it seems to be "locked" from rotating and I find no release. If it was frozen due to lack of use, I would think there would be some movement instead of it hitting a "hard stop" both directions. I have no OEM manual and there are no labels.

Any info is appreciated.

Craig and Karen aboard Rahn de Vous

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

4788 Davit Rotation Stuck 08 Jun 2013 23:00 #2

• smitty477
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 899
These davits utilize synthetic bearing sleeves made of 'nylocron' which will swell when petroleum based lubricants are introduced.
In many cases the davits would get a little 'tight' and then an unsuspecting owner would lube the davit with products such as WD-40 or the like which would immediately make them much worse until they 'locked' in place.

We have a procedure written up (pdf) on how to disassemble, clearance, and reassemble the davit with pics but it is too large for posting.
If you want a copy please PM us with an e-mail address or state your e-mail on this post.

Hope this helps
The following user(s) said Thank You: carters cove, jsimpson

Northport NY

4788 Davit Rotation Stuck 09 Jun 2013 04:03 #3

• rich2452
  • Thank you received: 0
Please the information on the davit repair, replace etc. The one on our 4588 sounding and looking bad. Thanks Rich This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

4788 Davit Rotation Stuck 09 Jun 2013 04:10 #4

• mmichellich
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 373

rich2452;785778 wrote: Please the information on the davit repair, replace etc. The one on our 4588 sounding and looking bad. Thanks Rich This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

The 45 and 47 davits are totally different.

Started boating 1965
Bayliners owned: 26 Victoria, 28 Bounty, 32, 38, and 47 since 1996

4788 Davit Rotation Stuck 09 Jun 2013 04:18 #5

• mmichellich
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Over the winter, our 47 davit gets kinda stuck in the mud so to speak. Once I had to use a sail boat down haul tied to the dock cleat to get it moving and it has been sorta acceptable since. Whenever I need to move it, I use the dingy as lever to add length to the moment arm to start it moving. Just trying to move it alone is more difficult but easier using a longer moment arm. Just saying you should try harder to break it free and see what happens. The procedure to fix the bearing surface is not an easy task and you may get good use for while by just breaking it free. It is easier to break if with less down load. Make sure it is up as high as it goes and move the large elevation pin to the highest position.

Started boating 1965

4788 Davit Rotation Stuck 09 Jun 2013 11:06 #6

• ckrahn
  • ckrahn's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 2
Thanks - I'll give it a try.

4788 Davit Rotation Stuck 09 Jun 2013 11:06 #7

• smitty477
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
"The 45 and 47 davits are totally different."

Perfect answer - they share zero parts and the designs are totally different.

Northport NY

4788 Davit Rotation Stuck 10 Jun 2013 13:58 #8

• Jacob
I tied a line on the end of the arm and used the added leverage to pull the davit around.

1981 Bayliner 3270 (sold).
1998 Bayliner 4788 (sold)

1999 Sea Ray 48 Sedan Bridge.

4788 Davit Rotation Stuck 05 Aug 2013 04:41 #9

• hollieanna
Can I get a copy of the 4788 davit pdf? I am not sure what PM means. thanks.

4788 Davit Rotation Stuck 05 Aug 2013 13:21 #10

• Papa Charlie
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 162

smitty477;785807 wrote: "The 45 and 47 davits are totally different."

Perfect answer - they share zero parts and the designs are totally different.

With the exception of the bearing material that will swell if you use petroleum products on it.

Patrick and Patti
4588 Pilothouse 1991
12ft Endeavor RIB 2013
M/V "Paloma"
MMSI # 338142921

4788 Davit Rotation Stuck 05 Aug 2013 15:00 #11

• robster_in_edmonds
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 236
Craig,
+100 on what smitty said. The davit on my 1997 4788 was extremely difficult to swing. It took three large guys to move it, and that isn't good. The PDF file was a great help to understand how the davit works and how to disassemble it. I assisted my favorite mechanic and his helper as they took my davit apart. In my case an earlier "repair" by a well-known company had included embedding two screws into the bearings and then lubing them on a subsequent visit with a petroleum-based lubricant that just damaged the whole works.

My mechanic took everything apart and made two new bearings, measured, cut and fitted perfectly. He added two zerk fittings for ease of future lubrication (with SuperLube, a synthetic lubricant). We reassembled everything and now the davit works like a dream. My wife and I can swing the dinghy on and off the boat without any outside assistance.

As noted in the PDF, this is a two or three person job. The davit arm is extremely heavy and the helper, a srong young guy, was sweating by the time the bolts were removed and we could lift the davit arm off. In addition if the bearings have been damaged you may need to find someone to craft new ones which will require synthetic material, a lathe, and accurate measurements. In my case the mechanic's shop was fifty yards from the boat and it required three trial fittings before everything was perfect. But now we are good to go! Good luck with your repairs.
The following user(s) said Thank You: toddlutt

Rob Meldrum
Commodore, Edmonds Yacht Club (2014-2015)
"Miss Maui" * 1997 Bayliner 4788 * Cummins 330s

4788 Davit Rotation Stuck 06 Aug 2013 03:10 #12

• Timberwolf
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 46

hollieanna;800912 wrote: Can I get a copy of the 4788 davit pdf? I am not sure what PM means. thanks.

PM, private message, used a lot on these forums for 2 members to chat to each other.

1996 4788 PILOTHOUSE
CUMMINS POWERED
"BEAR ESSENTIALS"
Maple Bay, Vancouver Island
LINK TO RENO's THREAD:
www.baylinerownersclub.org/~bayline1/ind...ics-and-a-video-link

4788 Davit Rotation Stuck 20 Oct 2013 16:38 #13

• hollieanna
Just an update on my Davit. I bought the SuperLube from Harbor Freight (great stuff, ended up using it all over). There is a small 3/16" hole on the back of the davit vertical round base which opens to the area around the bearings. It looks like the intent was for a zerk fitting. I took the Superlube tube and starting squirting it in the hole. Then I would move the davit to spread the superlube inside. Kept repeating until I almost used the whole tube. Now my davit works better then it ever has and I avoided the hassle of removal and replacement. Everyone should give this a try before more drastic measures. Best $6 I ever spent. Sorry for no pictures of the hole, not at the boat right now. P.S. Hollie Anna is now on the hard for sale at Bananabelt Boats in Anacortes, WA. Priced right. Time for us to move on, but it has been a great 10 years!

4788 Davit Rotation Stuck 20 Oct 2013 17:35 #14

• completelymobile
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 17

hollieanna wrote: Just an update on my Davit. I bought the SuperLube from Harbor Freight (great stuff, ended up using it all over). There is a small 3/16" hole on the back of the davit vertical round base which opens to the area around the bearings. It looks like the intent was for a zerk fitting. I took the Superlube tube and starting squirting it in the hole. Then I would move the davit to spread the superlube inside. Kept repeating until I almost used the whole tube. Now my davit works better then it ever has and I avoided the hassle of removal and replacement. Everyone should give this a try before more drastic measures. Best $6 I ever spent. Sorry for no pictures of the hole, not at the boat right now. P.S. Hollie Anna is now on the hard for sale at Bananabelt Boats in Anacortes, WA. Priced right. Time for us to move on, but it has been a great 10 years!

A marina friend a few years ago helped me drill and tap a zerk fitting in the same spot on our davit and I used Super Lube with great results as well.

1994 4788

4788 Davit Rotation Stuck 20 Oct 2013 18:28 #15

• steelwrk1
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • 2001- 4788 , Canada
  • Thank you received: 63
Hello,

After many years of never using my Davit, I went to use it earlier this month and it was seized. I put it in the upright position and with all my weight hit it with my shoulder. It would move a few inches at a time but was in no way good to go for a 675# dingy.

I tried the quick fix of drilling , tapping and installing two Zerk fittings, then greasing it with a synthetic grease but only had mild success.

Armed with Smitty 477's excellent step by step I disassembled it. READ it from end to end and all your questions will be answered

Point one,
I was alone and have heavy duty deck chairs on the bridge . I was able to place the arm of the davit on the arm rest of those SS deck chairs protected with old towels and did not have to lift anything 100%...only pivot. NOTE this was at dissasembly....when I reassembled I had my Admiral put in the pivot pin as I had to wiggle the davit arm to get proper allingment as it sat on the arms of my deck chair.

Point two,
My swivel assembly was so jammed I felt I was hitting against solid material as I tried to drive a wedge in to lift it a little. I thought it over an got two small bottle Jacks and some wood from the yard to act as shims and weight distributors.
I jacked each up easily from opposite sides and it came up extremely easily, no sweat and easily controllable.

Point Three,
As noted in Smitty's instructions there are two plastic/synthetic bearings . A lower one and an upper one. ON MY 2001 4788 the only bearing that was seizing was the lower one or the one near the deck. The upper one worked perfectly. I found this out by removing the lower one ( if you do this remove the small cotter pin that keeps the bearing in place) and then putting the svivel tube assy back together and observed the perfect smooth action when rotating

I only had to give some clearence to the ID of the lower plastic/synthetic bearing and then the unit worked fine.

I did not have Smitty's patience or wish to go to my Dads 20 miles away so I just used my small 4'' fein hand grinder with a flap disk and opened up the inside a little at a time. The lathe turning gives a nicer tighter finish but mine works just fine.

It worked for me and the Captain Morgan Spicy tasted better at happy hour when I was easily able to raise my 675# dingy up to my upper deck at the end of the day for the first time.

Hope this gives you some ideas,
Best Regards,
Pete

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Alan Teed

Last Edit: by steelwrk1.

4788 Davit Rotation Stuck 21 Oct 2013 01:52 #16

• mmichellich
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

hollieanna wrote: Just an update on my Davit. I bought the SuperLube from Harbor Freight (great stuff, ended up using it all over). There is a small 3/16" hole on the back of the davit vertical round base which opens to the area around the bearings. It looks like the intent was for a zerk fitting. I took the Superlube tube and starting squirting it in the hole. Then I would move the davit to spread the superlube inside. Kept repeating until I almost used the whole tube. Now my davit works better then it ever has and I avoided the hassle of removal and replacement. Everyone should give this a try before more drastic measures. Best $6 I ever spent. Sorry for no pictures of the hole, not at the boat right now. P.S. Hollie Anna is now on the hard for sale at Bananabelt Boats in Anacortes, WA. Priced right. Time for us to move on, but it has been a great 10 years!

Which Super Lube product did you use?

Started boating 1965

4788 Davit Rotation Stuck 25 Oct 2013 02:18 #17

• Ben Anderson
Hi Smitty, My name Ben, email This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. I would appreciate the info on repair for a had to move, laterally, the Davit on a 4788. Someone (Bayliner) told me to remove Davit arm, Davit Base, and have the base grommet milled down about 20/1000. Said a descent auto brake shop could do this??? Do you concur.
Thanks, Ben Anderson

4788 Davit Rotation Stuck 25 Oct 2013 16:14 #18

• smitty477
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
"Someone (Bayliner) told me to remove Davit arm, Davit Base, and have the base grommet milled down about 20/1000. Said a descent auto brake shop could do this??? Do you concur."

The procedure we wrote up should be in your 'in box' at the address you provided.
I could not tell you how much machining is required without knowing the dimensions of the existing parts upon removal.
Aiming for a 'gap' of about 0.010-0.015" between the two Nylacron parts would be a good target but any decent clearance will strand up well if they are lubricated with a non petroleum based grease like 'Superlube'.
The key is to not let petroleum based lubes in there which can and will swell the parts to the point where there is a large interference or negative 'gap' left.

Hope this helps

Northport NY

4788 Davit Rotation Stuck 28 Mar 2014 16:02 #19

• tester
I would like to get a copy of the pdf and also smittys information on the 4788 davit if someone could forward it to me at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. it would be greatly appreciated.

4788 Davit Rotation Stuck 28 Mar 2014 16:22 #20

• smitty477
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Hello Jim,

Welcome to the BOC - should be in your inbox now.

Hope this helps

Northport NY

4788 Davit Rotation Stuck 29 Mar 2014 15:53 #21

• vinomaker
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 81
Please send me a copy of the 4788 davit instructions.

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Cheers!
Vinomaker
Jerome Robbins
2001 Bayliner 4788
Twin 370 Cummins
1994 Bayliner Ciera 2855 454 V8-7.4L
1994 Bayliner Classic 2252 V6-4.3L

4788 Davit Rotation Stuck 29 Mar 2014 21:41 #22

• smitty477
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
Done...

Hope it helps

Northport NY

4788 Davit Rotation Stuck 30 Mar 2014 01:59 #23

• Coastrider
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 124
We bought our 1997 4788 10 years ago now and the second year we had our 47 it was all we could do to move the davit in either direction. The info I got from this site was great and if I remember correctly we used the instructions that Smitty477 posted.

We have not used our Davit for about 4 seasons now but it still swings freely and easily. The big thing was honing out the bearing just enough to make it move freely but not too loosely. If I remember correctly that was a little trial and error but to date is still great and has required zero maintenance since.

Good luck with your repair.

Cheers,

Mark
"Our Song"
1997 4788

4788 Davit Rotation Stuck 30 Mar 2014 02:31 #24

• Alan Teed
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 92
Smitty, while you have it handy can you please email me the PDF for the 4788 at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. I don't need it yet, but its not getting any looser and want to be prepared and ready to go when it's time.

Thanks.

Alan

Alan Teed
MOONDANCE
'94 4788
Gig Harbor, WA

Previously:
2006 Hylas 49' blowboat
Bayliner 2855
1977 Cal 34' blowboat
1981 Hunter 33' blowboat

4788 Davit Rotation Stuck 30 Mar 2014 11:30 #25

• smitty477
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
On its way Alan.

Hope it helps
The following user(s) said Thank You: Alan Teed

Northport NY
Moderators: higgins_jrJim Gandee
Time to create page: 0.235 seconds