Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: 1986 2550st

1986 2550st 19 Sep 2017 00:53 #1

• Brunswickbmech
  • Brunswickbmech's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0
I have the chance to pick up an 86’ ciera designers edition w/trailer. First question I have is what makes it a designers edition. The boat has no motor but has the Penta outdrive, so what motor can I use to replace it. Over all it needs a crap ton of cleaning. The floor felt solid when I looked at it over the weekend, forgot about checking the transom. How hard are parts to come by?? And mainly I’m looking for opinions on the model before I pull the trigger.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Derby, Ct

BOAT- Bout Oh Another Thousand

1986 Bayliner Ciera 2550 St

1986 2550st 19 Sep 2017 01:37 #2

• Pcpete
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 325
Welcome! Please add kinda where you are to your signature. One of us may live nearby.
We had an 85 2450 with a 305 that was awesome.....until the twins came along and we went from two boys to three boys and a spoiled girl. When we were buying the 2450 we looked at the 2550 and I think the 305 was the standard, but a 350 would do a better job. Parts aren't a particular problem and you can do anything from building your own, buying a rebuilt marine engine to buying a complete new drop in. Do your research on the options, at the end of the day you may find that the cost of a drop in isn't that much more.
When I had to deal with a broken engine on our last boat, I decided to do complete packages including the drives. I found that the technology differences cut my fuel bill significantly. Just my experience.

P/C Pete
Edmonds Yacht Club (Commodore 1993)
1988 3818 "GLAUBEN"
1980 Encounter Sunbridge "Misty Blue" (Sold)
MMSI 367770440
1972 Chevrolet Nova Frame off Resto-mod in the garage
Boating on the Salish Sea since 1948

1986 2550st 19 Sep 2017 14:47 #3

• Brunswickbmech
Engine won’t be for a few months I want to shop around some. My biggest worry is if the front hatch and windows have leaked. I couldn’t tell on quick glance, the cabin smelled musty but it has sat for awhile. I didn’t go in over the weekend being that I’m a little girl about spider webs (sue me). As long as the cushions aren’t molded out and all or most of the electronics and accessories work im going to grab it. Worst case boat is a total loss, end up with a nice trailer to sell and 8 boat stands.

Derby, Ct

1986 2550st 19 Sep 2017 15:40 #4

• CptCrunchie
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 147

Brunswickbmech wrote: I have the chance to pick up an 86’ ciera designers edition w/trailer. First question I have is what makes it a designers edition. The boat has no motor but has the Penta outdrive, so what motor can I use to replace it. Over all it needs a crap ton of cleaning. The floor felt solid when I looked at it over the weekend, forgot about checking the transom. How hard are parts to come by?? And mainly I’m looking for opinions on the model before I pull the trigger.

Some good photos would help a lot. And if you have limited knowledge of boats, I strongly suggest you spend half a boat buck and get a full marine survey. Leaks can be fixed. De-laminations are something you want to know, as is whether your transom and stringers have integrity. Then there's the fuel tank. Indeed, much to consider. But, ......it's a boat; it knows how to suck up money, lots of money. I've also never seen a hearse being followed by an armored car ....pulling a boat, much less a rebuilt one.

If I had a blank canvas, I'd be looking at one of the new Volvo Pentas. Compact, powerful, easy on gas, easy on the environment, dual prop, well designed, .....

Here's a VP V8-350-C/DPS

I may never need one, so I have no clue how much one costs,....but hey, I can dream......

"B on D C", is a 1989 2459 Trophy Offshore HT, OMC 5.7L, Cobra OD, Yamaha 15hp kicker. Lots of toys! I'm no mechanic, just a blue water sailer and woodworker who loves deep sea fishing.
MMSI: 367637220
HAM: KE7TTR
TDI tech diver
BoD, North Olympic Peninsula Puget Sound Anglers, Sequim, WA
Kevin
Last Edit: by CptCrunchie.

1986 2550st 19 Sep 2017 17:43 #5

• Brunswickbmech
I’m not too worried if it needs some stringer work. I’m actually doing all new stringers, floor, and transom in a 76’ Crestliner Apollo. I’m actually a head mechanic for a bowling alley, so I am versed in a lot of different types of repair including fiberglassing. I will get some pics up in the next day or so. I’m actually set I’m going to get it so the next few days will be getting it ready to move, and I’m going to remove that damn radar arch for transport. Luckily in ct I believe it is just under the wide load size limit

Derby, Ct

1986 2550st 26 Sep 2017 04:17 #6

• Brunswickbmech
Ok here is a pic of when she was brought to where I’m picking it up

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Derby, Ct

1986 2550st 26 Sep 2017 04:41 #7

• Brunswickbmech
Here is current pics I took on Sunday. Its already mine, moving it on Saturday. Way dirtier from sitting.

This is about 30 seconds of cleaning with simple green

This message has attachments images.

Derby, Ct

1986 2550st 05 Oct 2017 23:05 #8

• Brunswickbmech
So far I have pulled all of the cushions, seats, snap in carpets, and Bimini cab. I have some definite leaks on all of the windows as you can see by the staining in this pic. I know it could be many other things but I know both of the windows in the bow and the two on the sides are bad enough I can pick the silicone out with my fingers. The port side is actually popped loose from freezing. How do I remove the windows and reseal them? And I assume the other hatches and openings would be sealed the same way. I have also discovered more add on features. It has the macerator installed, xintex m2 fuel detector, and what I beilieve is a jabsco remote control light. Right now I’m mainly trying to tear the interior down and fix leaks do to the cold winters here in Connecticut. I have so many questions and more stuff I am discovering as I go. Next major removal will be the radar arch. It is in rough shape and needs some love (finally something I can get home to fix, repair, and fiberglass over the winter.

This message has an attachment image.

Derby, Ct

1986 2550st 06 Oct 2017 03:03 #9

• builderdude
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • "THE FIX"
  • Thank you received: 805
This guy has some excellent videos on boat repair, here's one on the portlights.
www.boatworkstoday.com/videos/installing-new-fixed-portlights/#

Dave
Edmonds, WA
"THE FIX"
'93 2556 5.7 Bravo II 2.0:1 18 1/4x19 P
.030 over-Vortec top end-part closed cooled
***The rebuild of my 2556***
www.baylinerownersclub.org/index.php/for...ansom-repair-my-2556

1986 2550st 06 Oct 2017 15:24 #10

• Download_Complete
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 551
Something is off. The first pic you posted is a 1986 2450 Ciera - the kink on the blue stripe is the giveaway. 2550s don't have those. Your other pics are clearly a 1986 2550 - anchor locker and side dinette.

Here's the 1986 spec sheet on the 2550:

bayliner.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/07/...ition-Spec-Sheet.pdf

Designer's Edition was just a marketing gimmick for 1985 and 1986, denoting uplevel equipment that the lower end Cieras didn't get. For 1987 it was just a Ciera Sunbridge.

As for engines, the 2550 wide beam really needs 260 hp or more, preferably a 5.7L with 300+ hp and a DuoProp outdrive. What you do depends on your budget.

Regarding leaks, all 1980s Cieras were poorly sealed and leaked profusely. Plan on resealing the deck hatch and windows, and possibly the side windows as well.

Matt Train
BOC Admin
Chicagoland, IL
Last Edit: by Download_Complete.

1986 2550st 07 Oct 2017 03:44 #11

• Brunswickbmech
I went back and looked, and your right. The original pic was the one they had on Craigslist. Any others I took myself on the boat. I also noted the registration numbers are in different locations. Currently I would take any v8 I can find in my price range. Out drive is going to be a rebuild, steering is stuck, and doesn’t shift into either gear. And I will be resealing everything I can find.

Derby, Ct

Last Edit: by Brunswickbmech.

1986 2550st 09 Oct 2017 23:13 #12

• Brunswickbmech
I finally got her off the trailer and dry docked. Now it’s time for some heavy cleaning and resealing the whole boat

This message has attachments images.

Derby, Ct

1986 2550st 12 Oct 2017 22:09 #13

• Brunswickbmech
Hitting problems already. I went to remove the front hatch to reseal, and I get drips of water when removing inner plastic. WTF is this. After removing rest of hatch, and wood between the two layers of plywood is soaked like a sponge. There was zero caulk/adhesive on the mating surface of the hatch. My question is can I remove the whole inside fiberglass, clean both surfaces of fiberglass, epoxy it back together and just tab it in. Or do I have to redo all of the inner fiberglass. And what type did the use on Bayliners of this era, polyresin or epoxy resin?

Derby, Ct

1986 2550st 12 Oct 2017 22:29 #14

• builderdude
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • "THE FIX"
  • Thank you received: 805
So the deck core is wet around the hatch? Find out how far ithe wet core goes beyond the hatch area. It can be repaired from inside but can be a bit tricky. Polyester was used originally but personally I'd go with epoxy for the repair.

Dave
Edmonds, WA
"THE FIX"
'93 2556 5.7 Bravo II 2.0:1 18 1/4x19 P
.030 over-Vortec top end-part closed cooled
***The rebuild of my 2556***
www.baylinerownersclub.org/index.php/for...ansom-repair-my-2556

1986 2550st 12 Oct 2017 23:12 #15

• Brunswickbmech
Oh it’s the whole piece of plywood. It appears to only be about 24” wide and about three feet or less top to bottom. But can I take the whole sheet of fiberglass down epoxy everything and just tab the sheet back in. The wood looks like it was either 1/2” or 3/4 plywood but with the expansion from water it is hard to tell. I will try for pics tomorrow, but I have to pick up another boat that has my new engine and outdrive in it

Derby, Ct

Last Edit: by Brunswickbmech. Reason: More info
  • Page:
Moderators: JeffwAlaskanmutt
Time to create page: 0.127 seconds