Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
12 May 2017
We've received enough money to cover our site hosting fees for another 6 months (with a 6 month reserve).
For those who donated, the BOC Admin Team thanks you. We will strive to maintain the BOC as a place where you want to visit and interact.

Thanks again,
The BOC Volunteer Staff
  • Page:

TOPIC: Catalina Bound - Memorial Day Weekend 2017

Catalina Bound - Memorial Day Weekend 2017 18 May 2017 23:05 #1

• Shrekito
  • Shrekito's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0
Good afternoon all,

We are making our first Catalina Trip in our 4588. This will also be our first time taking any boat besides the Flyer to the Island. I've researched both Avalon & Isthmus ( Two Harbors ). I know Isthmus takes reservations for anything over three days, and Avalon is first come first serve. We were thinking about leaving Oceanside on Friday the 26th at 3:30 am, And heading to Isthmus. But being its our first trip we are temped to leave Thursday the 25th, maybe at 11:00 pm and trying for Avalon. Does anyone have any experience traveling at night to Catalina? I've heard Avalon can also fill up early on a Holiday weekend. Or should I play it safe and head to Isthmus with a reservation and try Avalon on a non-Holiday weekend? Any info is always appreciated.

P.S. if your also going to be in Avalon or Isthmus for Memorial Day. Our boat is Miss California II.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Miss California II
Oceanside, CA
1992 Bayliner 4588

Catalina Bound - Memorial Day Weekend 2017 18 May 2017 23:12 #2

• Douggy
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 69
Watch out for Bird Rock

2003 Bayliner 245
2007 Sedona F21

Catalina Bound - Memorial Day Weekend 2017 18 May 2017 23:37 #3

• HUSKEY BAY
  • Away
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 82
I go often
Avalon Harbor patrol has a web site with real time mooring availability so you know nexactly how many moorings your size are open...prior to your departure. The boats leaving that morning are supposed to be off the mooring by 9am. If you arrive and all moorings in the harbor are booked, you can use Descanso or Hamilton Cove which also have moorings. ...with your back up position being Two Harbors. I just checked and for boats your size they have 28,30 and 14 respect....at this moment just to give you an idea.
Really depends on the kind of experience you're after....quiet seclusion or busy hot spots with night life.

Go to cityofavalon.com or Avalon Harbor patrol for mooring updates.

good luck.

Be safe
The following user(s) said Thank You: Oakland4788

• Page:
Moderators: JeffwAlaskanmutt
Time to create page: 0.128 seconds