Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: I made a mistake and am looking for a solution... please take a minute and read

I made a mistake and am looking for a solution... please take a minute and read 18 May 2017 01:21 #1

• Andover_Ct
  • Andover_Ct's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • 860-978-9039
  • Thank you received: 45
Hello everyone,
let me start by saying this forum has been very friendly and helpful... I do not consider myself an expert or even very good / excellent when it comes to boating. My navigation skills are nadda... I run up and down the same 45 miles of river and enjoy the coves and beaches and such... my mechanical skill set is above average and I was a marine technician for along time.

With that said I have made a rather large mistake / bad decision and figured I would come here to try and solve it....

The engine in my 2850 Contessa lost a cylinder due to bad valves... I tore it all apart and left it... boat was clean as a whistle and very very nice.... while contemplating what to due I walked into a deal for a '93 3058 Command bridge--- so what do I do... I sell the 2850 for what I paid for it and watched it head to Maine.

The 3058 I have delivered and its on stands.... almost as soon as it was set down I started saying "what did I do..." there's no trailer and there's 2 of everything and it its a lot more boat than the 2850...

So... after sitting and thinking and thinking and so on I have decided to sell it and hope that someone with more time and such can put it to full use. I wish I never sold the 2850... wish I had bought a new Michigan motor and kept on going with it...

My family is disappointed, I'm disappointed and just frustrated with myself for getting all excited and not looking at the big picture before making the move. Bigger isn't always better and realizing your limitations is something we all need to consider.

With that said the 3058 will be in the for sale section and I would also consider trades for a 25--29 ft command bridge Bayliner... preferably with a single screw and a Volvo or Mercruiser... OMC's are not my thing and its nothing personal.

It took a lot to type this up and I feel like an idiot... but now I have to come up with a solution.

Tony Ruggiero

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

SO WHAT its not a Searay!! Bayliner Command Bridges for life!!!!!
'93 Cierra Cmd Brdge 3058 twin 250 hp Chvy-Merc Alpha 1 gen 2s
Ret.--87 Contessa Cmd Brdge 2850 350 Chvy 260hp Volvo 290
Commodore-Glastonbury Yacht Club, Portland CT
Dpty Harbor Mster--Wethersfield Cove / CT River to Rocky Hill

I made a mistake and am looking for a solution... please take a minute and read 18 May 2017 01:28 #2

• Amadaies
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 132
Your not the first person who has done this!.
Sounds like you already have a good plan. Sell the one you have and buy another 2850.

Pat. Sandpoint Ida
1984 Bayliner Ciera 24.5 Volvo Penta 5.7/290DP

I made a mistake and am looking for a solution... please take a minute and read 18 May 2017 01:43 #3

• ken51k
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Haddam ,CT
  • Thank you received: 63
Tony, I have the perfect answer to your problem. Buy my 1999 Bayliner Ciera 2655 with a 2007 trailer for only $14000. See my ad in Boats for sale section.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Andover_Ct

1999 Bayliner Ciera 2655
5.7 Bravo 3

I made a mistake and am looking for a solution... please take a minute and read 18 May 2017 01:51 #4

• Andover_Ct
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • 860-978-9039
Hi Ken,
Id love too... but 2 problems... the admiral has shut down the bank and rightfully so... and I'm really hoping to get another command bridge... once you have one they are near impossible to let go of.

Thanks

Tony

I made a mistake and am looking for a solution... please take a minute and read 18 May 2017 03:33 #5

• kwb
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 82
The 3058 isn't that much more of a boat - and while a bit harder to work on in the bilge it is a better running boat than the Contessa with a single engine.

Don't give up just yet. The costs aren't double on everything because you are working things half as hard and can stretch out intervals a bit.

1989 3888
Nobody gets out alive.

I made a mistake and am looking for a solution... please take a minute and read 18 May 2017 04:23 #6

• builderdude
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • "THE FIX"
  • Thank you received: 759
That 93 3058 is the cats meow according to Joon, I'd trust his opinion on it. It is a bit big to tow around but can be done and if you've been towing a 2850 then you probably won't have any issues towing the 3058. Sounds like you've got the mechanical skills to do the job, I say look for a trailer while you get the mechanicals sorted and don't look back.

Dave
Edmonds, WA
"THE FIX"
'93 Ciera 2556 Mercruiser 5.7 Bravo II
.030 over-Vortec top end-part closed cooled
***The rebuild of my 2556***
www.baylinerownersclub.org/index.php/for...ansom-repair-my-2556

I made a mistake and am looking for a solution... please take a minute and read 18 May 2017 05:30 #7

• Pcpete
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 275
Tony, if there's one thing I've learned and have to keep relearning is that I'm not nearly as in control as I think I am. Things and opportunities present themselves and sometimes I wonder how I'm going to get out of what seems to be a mess then I relax and just let it cook a while longer. Every time a solution presents itself that is better than anything I was doing on purpose. Don't let sellers remorse get you down, there's a reason you have that 3058. Like Builder said, get a trailer, make the 3058 yours.
I am confused about your comment about two of everything. Looking at your avatar I see a Command Bridge, so two helms, single engine, right. Is the 3058 a twin engine boat? Isn't it also a Command Bridge? My Admiral has been wondering about some of my ideas and projects for 43 years and I can't count the number of time the bank was shut down until a viable plan was developed. Like out purchase last summer of our 3818, I was looking at all new electronics and was promptly redirected. So the electronics are old but functional other more important things, like replacing the blackwater system, have been completed, the old boat finally sold and the moorage cost for it went away.
Tell the family it's time to make some new memories. Figure out some things they are going to like better, like maybe a larger water tank for longer showers or it has an electric flush toilet instead of a manual. If it doesn't work for you after a season or two, then sell it and go back to a Contessa. Just my stupid opinion.

P/C Pete
Edmonds Yacht Club (Commodore 1993)
1988 3818 "GLAUBEN"
1980 Encounter Sunbridge "Misty Blue" (Sold)
MMSI 367770440
1972 Chevrolet Nova Frame off Resto-mod in the garage
Boating on the Salish Sea since 1948

I made a mistake and am looking for a solution... please take a minute and read 18 May 2017 10:17 #8

• Andover_Ct
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • 860-978-9039

Pcpete wrote: Tony, if there's one thing I've learned and have to keep relearning is that I'm not nearly as in control as I think I am. Things and opportunities present themselves and sometimes I wonder how I'm going to get out of what seems to be a mess then I relax and just let it cook a while longer. Every time a solution presents itself that is better than anything I was doing on purpose. Don't let sellers remorse get you down, there's a reason you have that 3058. Like Builder said, get a trailer, make the 3058 yours.
I am confused about your comment about two of everything. Looking at your avatar I see a Command Bridge, so two helms, single engine, right. Is the 3058 a twin engine boat? Isn't it also a Command Bridge? My Admiral has been wondering about some of my ideas and projects for 43 years and I can't count the number of time the bank was shut down until a viable plan was developed. Like out purchase last summer of our 3818, I was looking at all new electronics and was promptly redirected. So the electronics are old but functional other more important things, like replacing the blackwater system, have been completed, the old boat finally sold and the moorage cost for it went away.
Tell the family it's time to make some new memories. Figure out some things they are going to like better, like maybe a larger water tank for longer showers or it has an electric flush toilet instead of a manual. If it doesn't work for you after a season or two, then sell it and go back to a Contessa. Just my stupid opinion.

Hi, heres what I mean.... the Contessa had 1 engine, 1 drive, 1 crank mounted raw water pump etc...

This 3058 has 2 engines, 2 belt driven raw water pumps, 2 raw water pumps in the Alpha gen 2s to keep them cool, the 4 cylinder Ford industrial turning the genset, the raw water belt driven pump for the genset, 3 strainers, 3 fuel filters, 4 batteries and on and on.... im the only "engineer" on board and I probably trippled the maintenance regiment.

Im just wishing I had the Contessa back... shouldve stuck within my comfort zone.

Thanks all for the kind words

Tony

Last Edit: by Andover_Ct. Reason: Spelling

I made a mistake and am looking for a solution... please take a minute and read 18 May 2017 13:28 #9

• dmcb
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 587
So you have a little buyers remorse.
I think your over reacting. You had a good idea when you bought the new boat. Don't panic. Use that boat. I think you will learn to love it.
Yes you have 2 engines but its just more of the same. You do your own work so cost will be minimal.
Look at as a great safety feature if an engine quits.
Doug

Started boating 1955
Number of boats owned 32
Bayliners
3870 presently owned
Favorite boat. Toss up. 46' Chris Craft, 3870 Bayliner

I made a mistake and am looking for a solution... please take a minute and read 18 May 2017 14:18 #10

• builderdude
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • "THE FIX"
Tony I'm curious, what condition is the 3058 in? Does it need a ton of work or is it basically ready to go minus a trailer? Got any pics to share?

Dave
Edmonds, WA
"THE FIX"
Last Edit: by builderdude.

I made a mistake and am looking for a solution... please take a minute and read 18 May 2017 16:03 #11

• Jim Gandee
  • Retired Fireman, Los Angeles
  • Thank you received: 169
Tony,
I'm going to encourage you to make a go of it brother! You'll really like having two engines, well except for the fuel cost. The larger boat will be more comfortable and after a while the Admiral might even want a bigger boat! :)

Jim Gandee
1989 3888
Hino 175's
Fire Escape
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

I made a mistake and am looking for a solution... please take a minute and read 18 May 2017 16:31 #12

• Nikko
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 58
Launch the 3058 and make it yours. Enjoy it ! Life's too short for this type of angst - 'specially when it's boating related..!

Past Commander, Seymour Power and Sail Squadron
Current instructor North Shore Power and Sail Squadron

I made a mistake and am looking for a solution... please take a minute and read 18 May 2017 17:31 #13

• Andover_Ct
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • 860-978-9039

builderdude wrote: Tony I'm curious, what condition is the 3058 in? Does it need a ton of work or is it basically ready to go minus a trailer? Got any pics to share?

Hi, there are basic pics in the for sale section... I can get detailed pics and send to your email. Please message me with the address. Boat doesnt need a --ton-- of work . It does need wax , paint and a good detailing. Tony

I made a mistake and am looking for a solution... please take a minute and read 18 May 2017 18:29 #14

• TheBaalmans
  • Thank you received: 0
I think you're looking at the "2 of everything" in the "glass half empty" point of view. Maybe you should think of it as "I have a SPARE of everything". In my experience, when it comes to boating, having a spare is always a good idea.

1999 Bayliner Rendezvous 2459
5.7L Bravo III
"I'm Fine"
Lost Wages, NV

I made a mistake and am looking for a solution... please take a minute and read 18 May 2017 21:28 #15

• Shawnh
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
Oh! I understand your thought completely! I came from sailing where I trusted the wind to blow and my skills to get the boat home without an engine. The engine was a back up if the wind quit... I understood how to move a sailboat with very little wind and I trust my skills to get back to the dock safely even without an engine or any battery.

Now, I have a 41 foot sundeck trawler with two 210 HP Cummins engines, two props, two of all the parts on each engine, PLUS a 3 cylinder Onan generator (with a re-branded Yanmar engine on it). Not to mention the water and waist system on the boat, electrical system, refrigerator, electronics, fiberglass to keep up and then there is the dinghy/outboard...

If I think about it, it will make me sick! So.. I DON'T think about it and I enjoy the boat and find the maintenance to be fun to do. I have found the engine maintenance to be easy to keep up. I have found that there isn't' that much more to do to this boat than a sailboat of equal size. And I have learned to love our boat and how well it handles the seas and having a crowd of family and friends on it.

We went from a 3288 to a 41 foot sundeck. We couldn't be happier with the change. Sure the systems are larger, but not that much. Sure the engines are larger, but again not that much. Sure, the haul out and paint is more, but again not that much. Plus, my wife is MUCH happier with this boat for how we use the boat.

I will tell you, I was not excited about selling our 3288 (even though we wanted a larger boat). And I wasn't too excited when we bought the Symbol 41 we now have. Almost 2 years later, I am very happy with the change and am pleased we did it. And the maintenance is almost the same between these two boats. Oh, and the Symbol 41 is easier to handle in all aspects than the 3288 was.

Good luck with your boats. If you haven't used your new to you boat, get it out on the water and enjoy it before it sells :) And stop thinking like an engineer!

1992 3288, twin Hino 150's sold
Symbol 41 Sundeck, twin Cummins 210's
S. Puget Sound
Last Edit: by Shawnh.

I made a mistake and am looking for a solution... please take a minute and read 18 May 2017 22:56 #16

• Dadrock33
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • SE of York, PA
  • Thank you received: 72
Guess we can "commiserate" over a couple of barley pops one of these days . . . . . we traded in our 2452 as a down payment on a 3685 Avanti . . . . WOW! . . wondering what I've done . . . yep, two of everything . . . but I like that, in my own way. Somethings just can't be forgotten and in my case, it's the roar of those 454's when you punch'er. . . . . AND, I can "pretty-darn-near" live on this one and have room to spare for the princesses (two small yap dogs) . . . even let the wife come along if she behaves herself . . . lol :S

. . . do what I'm doing - stop complaining and dig into it with both paws . er, claws . . . well, whatever you have. Procrastination is something for the millennials. I have a feeling you're from better stock than that. Enjoy and revel in completing something that is gonna put memories in your, and everybody else's, brain forever. ;)

1998 Avanti 3685 - "Dad's Dream" w 454 Mercs - just a rockin' an'a rollin'
Former - "Home Aweigh" 2003 - 2452 Bayliner Cierra Classic Hardtop Cruiser
WQQM835 MMSI: 338147209
James H. Stradling
Last Edit: by Dadrock33.

I made a mistake and am looking for a solution... please take a minute and read 19 May 2017 23:45 #17

• Lorimer
  • Thank you received: 4
Hey Tony,
Through the purchase of three vessels we thought we knew what we wanted in the next boat but found the reality of each boat was different than our expectations. Nothing serious just different.
Sounds like you can manage the maintenance yourself and fuel shouldn't be too big an issue in that you don't travel far.
Soooo.....why not clean her up, put her up for sale, enjoy it until it sells and start a search for a new contessa once it's gone?

Wjm

I made a mistake and am looking for a solution... please take a minute and read 20 May 2017 12:51 #18

• HotwireJim59
  • Thank you received: 3
Two motor is built in safety! More room, more water, more friends or family. I went from a 2452 to a 4788. I have worked on it from Dec to now. Only really been out twice. More then once I had said what the hell. But the guys are right. Don't look back, take it around the block a few times. You have skills that will save you money and time. As they say its the journey, part of that is the process.

jim and Anna 1994 4788 Refresh 310 Hinos

I made a mistake and am looking for a solution... please take a minute and read 21 May 2017 16:24 #19

• 360 mafia
  • Thank you received: 15
Tony,relax and use the new boat.Trailer or not.Give it 2 years then sell.think of the family not your regrets.

I made a mistake and am looking for a solution... please take a minute and read 22 May 2017 13:27 #20

• Andover_Ct
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • 860-978-9039
Thank you all for the encouraging words. I did start working on it and sat back (on deck) and "talked" to her... said---listen if the two of us are gonna get along we have to work together. Then I started thinking things through and decided that I needed to pull out the waste tank (starboard side almost against transom) in order to get full clear access to the starboard engine and start tidying things up.

Then is when it got funny in a sad way---
The idiot previous owner left me with 30-40 gallons of P.P. to deal with.... not a huge deal but just another thing to make me sigghhhh.

Boat is for sale and I am working on it---I will get it running and use it and go from there... maybe it never sells or maybe it does. I'm not pushing terribly hard.
I just need an extra arm and a whole bunch of time to get it completely right the way I want it.

Tony

Last Edit: by Andover_Ct.

I made a mistake and am looking for a solution... please take a minute and read 22 May 2017 14:41 #21

• Pcpete
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 275
Our current Fleet Captain had the same thing happen on a boat he purchased. He dutiful took it to the pump out and went through a well practiced and utilized routine of emptying the tank. At some point, something happened that caused him to remove the hose from the deck plate. Then....the volcano erupted! Yup! He got covered. The Admiral would not allow him any dignified way of getting his clothes off so he could shower. Oh, the things that keep us humble.

P/C Pete
Edmonds Yacht Club (Commodore 1993)
1988 3818 "GLAUBEN"
1980 Encounter Sunbridge "Misty Blue" (Sold)
MMSI 367770440
1972 Chevrolet Nova Frame off Resto-mod in the garage
Boating on the Salish Sea since 1948

I made a mistake and am looking for a solution... please take a minute and read 22 May 2017 15:33 #22

• builderdude
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • "THE FIX"
That's a lot of chit to deal with :sick: your boats on stands now? I'd disconnect the macerators outlet hose from the through hull fitting and extend it with a coupler and longer length of hose so you could macerate the poo juice into a bucket (5 gall bucket 1/3rd full or so) then dump it down your toilet. Did something similar when I needed to removed my holding tank that was 1/2 full.

Dave
Edmonds, WA
"THE FIX"

I made a mistake and am looking for a solution... please take a minute and read 23 May 2017 16:23 #23

• Ruffryder
  • Thank you received: 1388
Tony since you pulled the trigger, yes use her.
You are going to need a big trailer for that 3058 if you're planning on towing.
Minimum 16,000 lbs trailer... probably as much as what you are asking for her or more possibly, then you will need a big truck that is capable towing more than 16,000 pounds.
Although I have both big enough trailer & truck, I don't like to tow her...
Yes it can be done, but it is a chore & hassle to me.
I'm trying to get out there, not trying spend all morning towing, launching, still getting ready.
So I strongly suggest you to mooring her.
Yearly Moorage fee, insurance, haul out, maintenance X 2 should have all been included in your budget.
She is a thirsty beast...filling up a 200 gallon gas tank does not come cheap.
I just came back from a 5day cruise :cheer:
@$ 3.50 per gallon, I spent almost $700 filling her up, $300 on food, $200 alcohol,
$1200 out the door, we are not even there yet...barely getting ready.
But once you are out there & your family having a blast,
Who cares about all that? It all simply becomes priceless.
Good luck with her!

Joon, Kathy, Jaden & Tristan
93 3058
92 2855
91 Fourwinns 205
Longbranch WA
Life is Good
Last Edit: by Ruffryder.

I made a mistake and am looking for a solution... please take a minute and read 23 May 2017 16:52 #24

• Shawnh
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member

builderdude wrote: That's a lot of chit to deal with :sick: your boats on stands now? I'd disconnect the macerators outlet hose from the through hull fitting and extend it with a coupler and longer length of hose so you could macerate the poo juice into a bucket (5 gall bucket 1/3rd full or so) then dump it down your toilet. Did something similar when I needed to removed my holding tank that was 1/2 full.

I also recommend wearing rubber gloves and a respirator to keep from smelling it... Something like this:

www.homedepot.com/p/3M-Medium-Profession...62023HA1-C/202080144

These come in handy for a multiple projects on a boat so it is nice to have on hand anyway.

1992 3288, twin Hino 150's sold
Symbol 41 Sundeck, twin Cummins 210's
S. Puget Sound
  • Page:
Moderators: JeffwAlaskanmutt
Time to create page: 0.145 seconds