Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Hours Meter on VR5

Hours Meter on VR5 19 Apr 2017 13:03 #1

• wakeman84
  • wakeman84's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0
I just took out my new VR5 for the first time last night and loved it - other than the 10 your break in period for a new boat. For the life of me I can not locate the hours meter on this boat and the owners manual was not helpful. I suspect it is right in front of my face but I am a new boater. Please help.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Hours Meter on VR5 19 Apr 2017 13:23 #2

• Download_Complete
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 544
There is none. Bayliner traditionally does not equip their boats with hour meters. You will need to install one.

Thankfully, the engine hours are also stored in the engine computer, and the dealer can read that with an ECU reader.

Matt Train
BOC Admin
Chicagoland, IL

Hours Meter on VR5 19 Apr 2017 16:42 #3

• wakeman84
  • wakeman84's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0
Wow a $35,000 boat and it does not come with an hours meter! Being a first time boat owner I never thought to ask about that but live and learn. Love the boat after taking it out just once and I guess I will have to track the break in hours manually and check in to what is involved in installing one. Thanks for the information.

Hours Meter on VR5 19 Apr 2017 20:16 #4

• Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 41
Sendec makes single wire inductive hour meters that take about 5 minutes to install, and seem pretty accurate. The one I had was battery operated with a non-replaceable battery. I had mine for 10 years and the meter was still working when I sold the boat.

I paid about $25 when I bought mine in 2007.

Hours Meter on VR5 19 Apr 2017 21:38 #5

• Download_Complete
  • Administrator
  • Administrator

wakeman84 wrote: Wow a $35,000 boat and it does not come with an hours meter! Being a first time boat owner I never thought to ask about that but live and learn. Love the boat after taking it out just once and I guess I will have to track the break in hours manually and check in to what is involved in installing one. Thanks for the information.

The engine computer tracks it automatically. You can buy the Mercury VesselView Mobile unit and port it all into your smart phone.
The following user(s) said Thank You: rhythmpoetdonut

Matt Train
BOC Admin
Chicagoland, IL

Hours Meter on VR5 19 Apr 2017 23:39 #6

• RobMick
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 113

Download_Complete wrote:

wakeman84 wrote: Wow a $35,000 boat and it does not come with an hours meter! Being a first time boat owner I never thought to ask about that but live and learn. Love the boat after taking it out just once and I guess I will have to track the break in hours manually and check in to what is involved in installing one. Thanks for the information.

The engine computer tracks it automatically. You can buy the Mercury VesselView Mobile unit and port it all into your smart phone.

I'm with you....a 35k boat should have a $25 hour meter if nothing else...but dont feel slighted or special.....no one that has a Bayliner bowrider on is site had an hour meter from the factory...I got lucky and found a matching tach with and hour meter that matched my gauges

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Hell, Michigan (yes we really live in a city named "Hell" in Michigan)
2012 BR 185 - 3.0 TKS
1999 Chaparral 233 Sunesta Ltd., 5.0 Volvo
1985 Harris Flotebote Classic 240
1993 Yamaha Waverunner III VXR
1993 Yamaha Waverunner III
1995 Yamaha Waverunner III GP
1995 Yamaha Waverunner III VXR PRO

Hours Meter on VR5 20 Apr 2017 01:29 #7

• Waterdowg
  • Away
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 62
I felt the same way when I bought my 215 DB. Not only does it not have an hour meter, it does not come standard with a Automatic Bilge pump. I plan to install a the Vessel View Mobile Module.

2016 Bayliner 215 Deck Boat
Mercruiser 4.3 220 HP Alpha 1 Gen II

2003 SeaRay 176 SRX Bowrider
Mercruiser 3.0 135 HP Alpha 1 Gen II

1988 Sunbird 170 Bowrider
Evinrude 88 Special

1970 Salem Skiff 13.5 foot
1992 Johnson 40HP.
Last Edit: by Waterdowg.

Hours Meter on VR5 20 Apr 2017 01:40 #8

• green650
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 371
I use this style on all my toys that don't have odometers.
www.ebay.com/p/?iid=111950329438&lpid=82...53D711-117182-37290-
0%2526rvr_id%253D1203395299806&ul_noapp=true&chn=ps

It's self powered and all you do is wrap the wire a bunch of times around a spark plug wire. So it tracks actual running time, not time the ignition is on. If it's wired to the ignition the clock keeps ticking when you are sitting anchored listening to the stereo.

2000 2859, Limited Edition, 7.4 MPI, Bravo II, Alaska bulkhead, Lewmar Profish 700, Wallas diesel stove/heater

Hours Meter on VR5 20 Apr 2017 04:53 #9

• rhythmpoetdonut
  • Thank you received: 4
You might have the dealer install it. That's what I did, because I want them to document the number of hours on the meter when installing. The meter is both for knowledge and resale. Yes, spent similar, no meter. But, remember you'll pay 300 for it to be already included, or 100 as an add on later.

It is when you give of yourself that you truly give - Kahlil Gilbran
New: 2015 Bayliner 642 in Red, 4.3L MPI, Alpha 1 Gen II
Former: 2010 Bayliner 175 BR in Blue, 3.0L TKS

Hours Meter on VR5 20 Apr 2017 11:20 #10

• Waterdowg
  • Away
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 62

rhythmpoetdonut wrote: You might have the dealer install it. That's what I did, because I want them to document the number of hours on the meter when installing. The meter is both for knowledge and resale. Yes, spent similar, no meter. But, remember you'll pay 300 for it to be already included, or 100 as an add on later.

The Automatic Bilge pump installed by the Factory has an MRSP of $40 and an Invoice of $30. To have a dealer install it would be much more. Bayliner installs an Attwood Sahara pump.For us to purchase and have installed from the Dealer is $80 for the pump and about 2 hours labor. So at my Dealer at $100hr, is $280... For the $30/$40 Bayliner should install it.
Now for the hour meter, that presents a different challenge for Bayliner depending on the Helm design and gauge selection. But now that Mercury has the Vessel View Mobile module that should be offered as an extra and worked into a Standard in the next year or two. Again this is just my opinion :)

2016 Bayliner 215 Deck Boat
Mercruiser 4.3 220 HP Alpha 1 Gen II

2003 SeaRay 176 SRX Bowrider
Mercruiser 3.0 135 HP Alpha 1 Gen II

1988 Sunbird 170 Bowrider
Evinrude 88 Special

1970 Salem Skiff 13.5 foot
1992 Johnson 40HP.

Hours Meter on VR5 21 Apr 2017 02:11 #11

• rhythmpoetdonut
  • Thank you received: 4
Well, I guess it's case by case. I think I paid more than $30 for mine and I didn't see it as an option at all (so dealer install or I do it). Funny, I believe a standard portapotty is a 250$ addition for my boat. You can buy one at WalMart for 80 bucks. It likely just depends, and like you imply, good to do the research.

The hour meter I had installed went on a bulkhead next to the engine. That way I don't need to find a place on the dash (although that's a nice option). I find I don't need to look at it all the time. That Vessel View sounds really cool.

I do wish mine would have come with a float switch for the bilge pump, too! Hopefully someone is taking note:)

It is when you give of yourself that you truly give - Kahlil Gilbran
New: 2015 Bayliner 642 in Red, 4.3L MPI, Alpha 1 Gen II
Former: 2010 Bayliner 175 BR in Blue, 3.0L TKS
Last Edit: by rhythmpoetdonut.

Hours Meter on VR5 21 Apr 2017 14:08 #12

• Download_Complete
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
Quick note here on things like auto bilge pumps, hour meters, etc...

Let us not forget Bayliner is a low price point boat. I had this conversation with a marine journalist at the Element XL intro who complained that the cockpit was not self-bailing. My response was "You DID notice the price, right?"

All these "little things" add up. If you start putting hour meters, auto bilge pumps, and self bailing cockpits on these boats, you will end up with Sea Rays.

Bayliner is very much a "everything ya need, nuthin ya don't" boat company...and to that end, the boats are blank canvases ready for your customization. In many ways they are the '57 Chevys, Honda Civics, and full size pickups of the boat world.....cheap, easy, and fun to modify.
The following user(s) said Thank You: TPerk274

Matt Train
BOC Admin
Chicagoland, IL

Hours Meter on VR5 21 Apr 2017 15:25 #13

• Banana Slug
  • Thank you received: 22

Download_Complete wrote: Quick note here on things like auto bilge pumps, hour meters, etc...

Let us not forget Bayliner is a low price point boat. I had this conversation with a marine journalist at the Element XL intro who complained that the cockpit was not self-bailing. My response was "You DID notice the price, right?"

All these "little things" add up. If you start putting hour meters, auto bilge pumps, and self bailing cockpits on these boats, you will end up with Sea Rays.

Bayliner is very much a "everything ya need, nuthin ya don't" boat company...and to that end, the boats are blank canvases ready for your customization. In many ways they are the '57 Chevys, Honda Civics, and full size pickups of the boat world.....cheap, easy, and fun to modify.

When Bayliner states in their literature that the Elements have automatic bilge pumps, they better start installing them. I contacted Bayliner directly and told them that if the literature said it has an automatic bilge pump, then it better be there when I took delivery. I got an email within 24 hours stating that hey contacted my dealer and authorized an automatic bilge installed at no charge.

~Joe
2015 Element XL
Mercury 115

Hours Meter on VR5 21 Apr 2017 15:54 #14

• griff
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 31
It's OK, Wakeman. Our $170,000 boat diden't get hour meters either. It's that the Bayliner is the Chevrolet of boats. Good driveline, but money saving on trim. We are getting along just fine without hour meters. Wishing you the best, Griff.

This image is hidden for guests.

http://s1127.photobucket.com/albums/l633/griffi20/ ...

Hours Meter on VR5 21 Apr 2017 16:25 #15

• Download_Complete
  • Administrator
  • Administrator

Banana Slug wrote:

Download_Complete wrote: Quick note here on things like auto bilge pumps, hour meters, etc...

When Bayliner states in their literature that the Elements have automatic bilge pumps, they better start installing them. I contacted Bayliner directly and told them that if the literature said it has an automatic bilge pump, then it better be there when I took delivery. I got an email within 24 hours stating that hey contacted my dealer and authorized an automatic bilge installed at no charge.

On this, I agree with you. If the literature says it should be there, it's pretty black and white to me....it needs to be there.

But hour meters are one of those things that aren't strictly necessary, especially now that the ECUs track it internally and can be read with a scan tool.

Matt Train
BOC Admin
Chicagoland, IL

Hours Meter on VR5 21 Apr 2017 17:30 #16

• Mocoondo
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 6

Banana Slug wrote: When Bayliner states in their literature that the Elements have automatic bilge pumps, they better start installing them. I contacted Bayliner directly and told them that if the literature said it has an automatic bilge pump, then it better be there when I took delivery. I got an email within 24 hours stating that hey contacted my dealer and authorized an automatic bilge installed at no charge.

It does have an automatic bilge pump. Turn the switch on and the bilge pump automatically comes on. :)

My boat came with a factory installed hourmeter...but that was in '02.

Mocoondo
2002 Bayliner 195 Capri "Sport"
Mercruiser 5.0L V8 / Alpha I Gen II
MMSI: 338091755

Hours Meter on VR5 20 Jul 2017 09:48 #17

• freechip
  • Thank you received: 13
Up until couple days ago I've been using my automotive gps to not only track my route but also use its trip info like speed, max speed, avg speed, total time, moving time and stop time.

After every run I took picture of screen info and would later transfer the data to my phone's notes.

I sometimes rounded off the time to be on safe side of maintenance schedule meaning if ever my time was 1:50 I rounded off to 2hrs.

Well when I found out about Mercury's VVM I decided to get and i was extremely impressed how easy it was to install and of course even on dry ground I was super excited to see all the info I was getting from this thing. I can't wait to get out on water.

Here's my thread about installing it on my 2017 VR5

baylinerownersclub.org/index.php/forum/b...ry-vesselview-module

And since this thread's topic is VR5 hour meter here's the reason why I posted here.

I manually logged in my phone I had accumulated
+/- 29hrs and here's what VVM showed me on very first start of App.

This message has attachments images.

Hours Meter on VR5 20 Jul 2017 13:58 #18

• Download_Complete
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
I love engines with ECUs.

Matt Train
BOC Admin
Chicagoland, IL
  • Page:
Moderators: JeffwAlaskanmutt
Time to create page: 0.133 seconds