• Page:

TOPIC: UPDATE New boat purchase

UPDATE New boat purchase 18 Apr 2017 23:34 #1

• Davidlyne
  • Davidlyne's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 82
We have a contract on our 2655, when it settles we are looking for a new to us boat. We are downsizing to a bow rider. Looking for advise on a 2001 185 Capri with 90HP 4 stroke Mercury.
Is this motor big enough or will it be underpowered? Pros and cons on this model, any known problems I should be aware off. Any advise appreciated.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

David
1999 Bayliner 1750 Capri. 3l Mercruiser Alpha

2014 Yamaha VX Cruiser
Last Edit: by Davidlyne.

New boat purchase 19 Apr 2017 01:11 #2

• RobMick
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 113
Although we have an I/o, the 3.0 on our 185, based solely on my boat, I would think that 90hp is not enough to do much other than. A little cruising around. I have not used ours to ski, but I think it could pull someone out of the water based on passenger count. The 135 hp is fine for our needs, some tubing, but that's it really. The 3.0 really works when pulling the tube and carrying a full boat.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Davidlyne

Hell, Michigan (yes we really live in a city named "Hell" in Michigan)
2012 BR 185 - 3.0 TKS
1999 Chaparral 233 Sunesta Ltd., 5.0 Volvo
1985 Harris Flotebote Classic 240
1993 Yamaha Waverunner III VXR
1993 Yamaha Waverunner III
1995 Yamaha Waverunner III GP
1995 Yamaha Waverunner III VXR PRO

New boat purchase 19 Apr 2017 01:38 #3

• Away
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 41

Davidlyne wrote: We have a contract on our 2655, when it settles we are looking for a new to us boat. We are downsizing to a bow rider. Looking for advise on a 2001 185 Capri with 90HP 4 stroke Mercury.
Is this motor big enough or will it be underpowered? Pros and cons on this model, any known problems I should be aware off. Any advise appreciated.

Back in the day I had an 85 hp two stroke on a 19 foot Marquis. It was fine, even with 6 people on the boat. Not a racehorse, but adequate for skiing (slalom with a light load only). Top speed was around 35 mph.

More recently I rode an Element E18 with the merc 90 4 stroke. It too had adequate power, though I chose the 115 since there is no such thing as too much HP, IMO.

To some extent it depends what you are looking for. You might be able to play with props to give you a better holeshot or better cruise/WOT, depending on your preferences.

In this case, if I were a power freak I would keep looking. If "adequate" is good enough, then I would try to arrange a sea trial either on this boat or an equivalent. I also had a 175 with the 3.0 and it really doesn't compare to the outboard powered boats; different weight, different torque curve, different everything. IMO the Element XL with the 90 seemed comparable to the 175 with the 3.0, except that the 175 had a higher top speed because of the different gearing.

New boat purchase 19 Apr 2017 01:47 #4

• Davidlyne
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

6104696 wrote:

Davidlyne wrote: We have a contract on our 2655, when it settles we are looking for a new to us boat. We are downsizing to a bow rider. Looking for advise on a 2001 185 Capri with 90HP 4 stroke Mercury.

Back in the day I had an 85 hp two stroke on a 19 foot Marquis. It was fine, even with 6 people on the boat. Not a racehorse, but adequate for skiing (slalom with a light load only). Top speed was around 35 mph.

More recently I rode an Element E18 with the merc 90 4 stroke. It too had adequate power, though I chose the 115 since there is no such thing as too much HP, IMO.

To some extent it depends what you are looking for. You might be able to play with props to give you a better holeshot or better cruise/WOT, depending on your preferences.

In this case, if I were a power freak I would keep looking. If "adequate" is good enough, then I would try to arrange a sea trial either on this boat or an equivalent. I also had a 175 with the 3.0 and it really doesn't compare to the outboard powered boats; different weight, different torque curve, different everything. IMO the Element XL with the 90 seemed comparable to the 175 with the 3.0, except that the 175 had a higher top speed because of the different gearing.

Thanks. I had heard that it is difficult to compare the 3l sterndrive with an outboard. We won't be skiing, maybe tow a tube although we have a Waverunner for that. It is mainly for getting from A to B approx. 30 minute run. There is normally just 3 of us of slight build, but we will sometimes have 6 people on board. When I have the money for our boat I will take the 90HP for a run and see how it goes. I really want to go with an outboard if I can get one. After having the MPI V8 I really don't want an antique running a carb

David

2014 Yamaha VX Cruiser

New boat purchase 19 Apr 2017 07:12 #5

• Davidlyne
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
It is an 1800 Capri not a 185. Sorry for any confusion

David

2014 Yamaha VX Cruiser

New boat purchase 19 Apr 2017 13:26 #6

• Download_Complete
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 544
A 90 hp OB equates to a 3.0L 4 cylinder stern drive. It depends on how you will use the boat, but if it were me, I'd want more engine on the back.

Matt Train
BOC Admin
Chicagoland, IL

New boat purchase 19 Apr 2017 18:16 #7

• green650
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 371
Your wallet will thank you every time you go to the gas station with that 90 hp. I had a Bayliner 1952 with the 3.0 and used to go to lunch at Friday Harbor all the time. That's about a 30 mile run so about an hour at 30 mph, and about 10 gallons round-trip with that 3.0. So about 30 bucks in fuel to go to lunch. When I got the Bayliner 2252 with a 5.7, that was way funner to drive with 330 hp and thru hull exhausts. But, that lunch trip to Friday Harbor now cost $90. So, no more trips just for lunch.
Point is you will boat a lot more if you're not burning $100 fuel every time you take the boat out. A 90hp outboard with 3 normal adults will do fine. Getting on plane will take longer when you have more people, but balancing the load on a bow rider is easier. I had to make my fatter friends get cozy up front in the vberth of the 1952 cuddy to get on plane when I had 4 or more people. But that's just a problem with cuddy cabins, no one sits upfront when you're under way.

2000 2859, Limited Edition, 7.4 MPI, Bravo II, Alaska bulkhead, Lewmar Profish 700, Wallas diesel stove/heater

Last Edit: by green650.

New boat purchase 19 Apr 2017 22:09 #8

• Davidlyne
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

Download_Complete wrote: A 90 hp OB equates to a 3.0L 4 cylinder stern drive. It depends on how you will use the boat, but if it were me, I'd want more engine on the back.

Thanks Matt. I am going to drive the 90HP and see how it performs. I would be happier with a 115 but they are as scarce as rocking horse sh!t here. and I really don't want the 3l stern drive.
With your knowledge is there anything about his model I should be looking at as in build quality or known problems?

David

2014 Yamaha VX Cruiser

New boat purchase 19 Apr 2017 22:10 #9

• Davidlyne
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

green650 wrote: Your wallet will thank you every time you go to the gas station with that 90 hp. I had a Bayliner 1952 with the 3.0 and used to go to lunch at Friday Harbor all the time. That's about a 30 mile run so about an hour at 30 mph, and about 10 gallons round-trip with that 3.0. So about 30 bucks in fuel to go to lunch. When I got the Bayliner 2252 with a 5.7, that was way funner to drive with 330 hp and thru hull exhausts. But, that lunch trip to Friday Harbor now cost $90. So, no more trips just for lunch.
Point is you will boat a lot more if you're not burning $100 fuel every time you take the boat out. A 90hp outboard with 3 normal adults will do fine. Getting on plane will take longer when you have more people, but balancing the load on a bow rider is easier. I had to make my fatter friends get cozy up front in the vberth of the 1952 cuddy to get on plane when I had 4 or more people. But that's just a problem with cuddy cabins, no one sits upfront when you're under way.

Thanks Green, that is the sort of feedback I was looking for.

David

2014 Yamaha VX Cruiser
  • Page:
Moderators: JeffwAlaskanmutt
Time to create page: 0.094 seconds