Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Boat trailer for my 185 Bayliner - very rough on boat whepassing over road bumps

Boat trailer for my 185 Bayliner - very rough on boat whepassing over road bumps 10 Apr 2017 03:30 #1

• Skyloran
  • Skyloran's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi, I have a 2005 18.5 foot Bayliner that came with a single axis trailer and carpeted boards. So here is my problem.
My trailer is very rough on my boat when I cross over road bumps.

When I go over speed bumps or any bump for that matter with the boat on the trailer it makes a terrible noise like the boat is going to come off the trailer. I double check that the boat straps are properly snugged to the trailer but it still sounds like the boat is taking quite a shock when driving the trailer over bumps. The supporting boards also look good and the boat is fully rested on the boards.
I wondered if others had similar experiences with their single axis trailers. It just seems like the trailer springs are so stiff that all the energy is transferred to the boat. Almost like not having springs. Does anyone have any recommendations. I am getting ready for a long trip and want to resolve this problem.

Thanks ahead of time.
Sky

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Boat trailer for my 185 Bayliner - very rough on boat whepassing over road bumps 10 Apr 2017 03:44 #2

• builderdude
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • "THE FIX"
  • Thank you received: 695
Could be the slop in the ball mount to receiver your hearing. My 1800 sat on a single axle as well, it too was noisy over speed bumps etc, never hurt the boat any ;)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Skyloran

Dave
Edmonds, WA
"THE FIX"
'93 Ciera 2556 Mercruiser 5.7 Bravo II
.030 over-Vortec top end-part closed cooled
***The rebuild of my 2556***
www.baylinerownersclub.org/index.php/for...ansom-repair-my-2556

Boat trailer for my 185 Bayliner - very rough on boat whepassing over road bumps 10 Apr 2017 11:24 #3

• 2850Bounty
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 1026
Sky, if this trailer has a single torsion axle, that may explain the rough ride.

Torsion axles suspensions do not offer the smooth action as found in leaf spring suspensions.

Rick E. Portland, Oregon
2850 Bounty Sedan Flybridge model
Twin 270 HP 5.7's w/ Closed Cooling
Volvo Penta DuoProp Drives
Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Boat trailer for my 185 Bayliner - very rough on boat whepassing over road bumps 10 Apr 2017 11:38 #4

• RobMick
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 97
I love my 185, don't get me wrong or take this the wrong way.....entry level boat, entry level trailer....

Hell, Michigan (yes we really live in a city named "Hell" in Michigan)
2012 BR 185 - 3.0 TKS
1999 Chaparral 233 Sunesta Ltd., 5.0 Volvo
1985 Harris Flotebote Classic 240
1993 Yamaha Waverunner III VXR
1993 Yamaha Waverunner III
1995 Yamaha Waverunner III GP
1995 Yamaha Waverunner III VXR PRO

Boat trailer for my 185 Bayliner - very rough on boat whepassing over road bumps 10 Apr 2017 11:59 #5

• bisho123
  • Thank you received: 3
With the trailer off the truck, put the receiver in and shake it. If your hitch has a lot of play from being old and used that might be it. Then put the ball under the hitch and latch it not hooked to the truck. See if there is play in the coupler. If there is there is a nut on the bottom of the coupler that can be tightened.

Bob
1988 Bayliner 1950 Capri Bow Rider
3.0 omc

Boat trailer for my 185 Bayliner - very rough on boat whepassing over road bumps 10 Apr 2017 12:31 #6

• Norton Rider
  • Away
  • Thank you received: 536

2850Bounty wrote: Sky, if this trailer has a single torsion axle, that may explain the rough ride.

Torsion axles suspensions do not offer the smooth action as found in leaf spring suspensions.

+1

I have a torsion axle trailer for my 13' Boston Whaler. It bounces quite a bit over bumps. There's not much that can be done about it.

1999 3788, Cummins 270 "Freedom"
2013 Boston Whaler 130 SS
Anacortes, WA

Boat trailer for my 185 Bayliner - very rough on boat whepassing over road bumps 10 Apr 2017 15:46 #7

• oakplank
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • 2014 Element owner
  • Thank you received: 89
At one time my boat seemed to bounce more than usual. It turns out that the bow was not resting on the trailer's bow roller property. What was happening was that the boat would bounce up and back down on the bunks every time the trailer hit a rough part of the road. It probably only lifted about an inch or two. But that was enough to hear and feel the banging. Having towed the boat previously, I knew right away that there was something not right.

Parry Sound, Ontario Canada
2014 Bayliner Element with Mercury 60 HP EFI Big Foot OB
12 foot aluminum fishing boat with 5 HP Mercury OB

Boat trailer for my 185 Bayliner - very rough on boat whepassing over road bumps 10 Apr 2017 16:10 #8

• cfoss1
  • Thank you received: 33
Check your tongue weight. If there is not enough it will try to lift the hitch off the ball.

Also make sure the front of the boat is snugged into the bowreat as suggested. I like to add a ratchet strap in support of the winch dog to extend its life and have a backup besides the last resort chain

Chay

Boat trailer for my 185 Bayliner - very rough on boat whepassing over road bumps 11 Apr 2017 02:36 #9

• 2850Bounty
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 1026

oakplank wrote: At one time my boat seemed to bounce more than usual. It turns out that the bow was not resting on the trailer's bow roller property.
What was happening was that the boat would bounce up and back down on the bunks every time the trailer hit a rough part of the road. .......

Good point.
The boat's hull should become part of the triangulation; I.E., the portion where the bunks support the hull, an imaginary angled line from the stern up to the bow eye and winch tower's attachment point, and then back down to the main frame.

When this is tight, you should be able to invision triangulation.

Rick E. Portland, Oregon
2850 Bounty Sedan Flybridge model
Twin 270 HP 5.7's w/ Closed Cooling
Volvo Penta DuoProp Drives
Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set
Last Edit: by 2850Bounty.

Boat trailer for my 185 Bayliner - very rough on boat whepassing over road bumps 11 Apr 2017 11:49 #10

• bisho123
  • Thank you received: 3
Also check your trailer. My friend has double rollers like this one. She knows everything, and had the cable line go over the top of the top roller. Her boat was on the trailer but back to far. After I found the problem she had no problems towing. The cable should go in the middle of the rollers if you have one like this.

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Bob
1988 Bayliner 1950 Capri Bow Rider
3.0 omc

Boat trailer for my 185 Bayliner - very rough on boat whepassing over road bumps 21 Apr 2017 00:58 #11

• Skyloran
Good point about the ball mount. I will check it.

Boat trailer for my 185 Bayliner - very rough on boat whepassing over road bumps 21 Apr 2017 01:00 #12

• Skyloran
I have leaf springs. I ended up writing the trailer manufacture today for some ideas and suggestions also.
Many thanks

Boat trailer for my 185 Bayliner - very rough on boat whepassing over road bumps 21 Apr 2017 01:02 #13

• Skyloran
Funny, we have had many boats but the wife wanted to downsize. I still expect certain standards however. I like the boat and it has performed well over the years except for some gage problems and a slave solenoid I had to replace.
Cheers and thanks

Boat trailer for my 185 Bayliner - very rough on boat whepassing over road bumps 21 Apr 2017 01:03 #14

• Skyloran
All good ideas, I will check. I have checked all the rest except for the mount so I will do that soon.
Thanks

Boat trailer for my 185 Bayliner - very rough on boat whepassing over road bumps 21 Apr 2017 01:04 #15

• Skyloran
I will make sure the supports and the bow is resting on the roller. Thanks for the ideas.

Boat trailer for my 185 Bayliner - very rough on boat whepassing over road bumps 21 Apr 2017 01:05 #16

• Skyloran
Clay, thanks for those suggestions. I will make a check of those items. Appreciate it.

Boat trailer for my 185 Bayliner - very rough on boat whepassing over road bumps 21 Apr 2017 01:09 #17

• Skyloran
I wanted to thank everyone for the replies. I will follow up on them as they were helpful.
I have also email the trailer manufacture. It will be interesting to learn what they have to say. I also am getting ready for a long trip so I want to get new tires, bearings and other maintenance items taken care of.
Again thanks to everyone. If I learn anything different from the manufacture I will let you know.
Sky

Boat trailer for my 185 Bayliner - very rough on boat whepassing over road bumps 21 Apr 2017 02:00 #18

• Morecoffee
  • Thank you received: 17
When I had a long haul to do with my boat trailer I would hammer in the wood wedges you use for hanging a door to remove all the wiggle room between the receiver and the hitch. They do not last forever but long enough... You can get them at any home improvement lumber yard.

1979 32 Uniflite Sport Sedan twin 270 crusaders
2003 Bayliner 2152 210 Classic 5.0 mercruiser - sold
I wish I knew now what I didn't know then
Last Edit: by Morecoffee.

Boat trailer for my 185 Bayliner - very rough on boat whepassing over road bumps 21 Apr 2017 02:31 #19

• rhythmpoetdonut
  • Thank you received: 2
The single axel Karavan trailer that came with my 2010 175 was always squeaky and kinda bouncy. It never seemed to hurt the boat, always secure on the bunks with back straps taught and up at the roller. Please let us know if you find a solution!

It is when you give of yourself that you truly give - Kahlil Gilbran
New: 2015 Bayliner 642 in Red, 4.3L MPI, Alpha 1 Gen II
Former: 2010 Bayliner 175 BR in Blue, 3.0L TKS

Boat trailer for my 185 Bayliner - very rough on boat whepassing over road bumps 27 May 2017 04:02 #20

• Skyloran
I will and thanks

Boat trailer for my 185 Bayliner - very rough on boat whepassing over road bumps 27 May 2017 14:10 #21

• Clirry
  • Thank you received: 7
I got 2005 175 with a bouncy trailer as well. But, I found a solution and threw some Fulton Transom Tie Down With Retractable Ratchet on the bottom of the trailer to hold the boat.

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

2005 Bayliner 175

Boat trailer for my 185 Bayliner - very rough on boat whepassing over road bumps 27 May 2017 15:28 #22

• JosephM
Mine is bouncy as well. It squeaks but it has always done it, and I had the free check by Les Schwab.

I like the idea of the strap holding the front like that.

Boat trailer for my 185 Bayliner - very rough on boat whepassing over road bumps 27 May 2017 15:36 #23

• Mocoondo
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 5
Your boat should not move while on the trailer. When properly secured, it should become one with the trailer. Make sure the bow is firmly resting on the bow roller and that the winch strap is tight. Also be sure that your two stern tiedowns are secure and tight. Check that your tires are in good condition and properly inflated. Your coupler probably takes a 2" ball so make sure that the ball and the coupler are matched, which if it weren't, you would know that by now. There will be some fore/aft slop in the coupler for the operation of the surge brakes. This is also normal and makes a little bit of a clunk when it actuates. Also, for grins, take a level to a horizontal member of the trailer and make sure the ball centers. If not, you need to adjust your hitch drop so you are fore/aft level. The trailer and boat will make some noise going down the highway, especially if you hit bumps. The leaf springs will squeak. You can grease them, spray them, or whatever, but they will squeak again shortly after dunking the trailer. A good bang from time to time is not unusual if you hit a bump in the road. What you are hearing is *probably* normal, but check the above things just to make sure everything is configured properly.

Mocoondo
2002 Bayliner 195 Capri "Sport"
Mercruiser 5.0L V8 / Alpha I Gen II
MMSI: 338091755
  • Page:
Moderators: JeffwAlaskanmutt
Time to create page: 0.135 seconds