Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Automatic Bilge, 2015 185

Automatic Bilge, 2015 185 17 Jul 2017 11:27 #51

• RobMick
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 104
The more I think about this, I am leaning towards the dealer install. The PO says to dealer before delivery of his brand new boat " I want an automatic bilge pump" dealer installs float switch, wires the float switch/pump to the "only hot when red battery key is inserted and turned to the on position" and also has wiring laying around shop that is factory labeled or imprinted with "bilge pump" written on it.

Still scratching my head though wondering how Bayliner would put in the owner's manual that my 2012 185 has an automatic bilge pump though....I guess I'll never figure that one out.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Hell, Michigan (yes we really live in a city named "Hell" in Michigan)
2012 BR 185 - 3.0 TKS
1999 Chaparral 233 Sunesta Ltd., 5.0 Volvo
1985 Harris Flotebote Classic 240
1993 Yamaha Waverunner III VXR
1993 Yamaha Waverunner III
1995 Yamaha Waverunner III GP
1995 Yamaha Waverunner III VXR PRO

Automatic Bilge, 2015 185 17 Jul 2017 14:41 #52

• 2850Bounty
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 1067

RobMick wrote: The more I think about this, I am leaning towards the dealer install. The PO says to dealer before delivery of his brand new boat " I want an automatic bilge pump"
1..... dealer installs float switch,
2..... wires the float switch/pump to the "only hot when red battery key is inserted and turned to the on position"
3.... and also has wiring laying around shop that is factory labeled or imprinted with "bilge pump" written on it.

4...... Still scratching my head though wondering how Bayliner would put in the owner's manual that my 2012 185 has an automatic bilge pump though....I guess I'll never figure that one out.

Rob, bare with me for a few minutes regarding what I've numbered 1 through 4 from your post above;

1..... and may we assume that the dealer also connects the float switch to the existing bilge pump's power circuit?

2...... Ok...... if you leave this boat in the water and un-attended, are you leaving the key inserted and the switch in the "ON" position?

3...... if it makes you feel good...... then it makes you feel good!

4...... don't waste any time trying to figure out what dealers do!

Rob, here's the deal as I see it.

For those of us who moor (or leave the boat in the water) during a period whereby the boat is Un-Attended, we want protection.
The protection is achieved via a Main Engine Bay Bilge Pump and it's fully functioning Float Switch!

Questions:

1...... Do we want the Float Switch to have the ability to operate the Bilge Pump if we encounter a water leak?
2...... If yes, how do we provide power to the Float Switch?
3...... Do we want this power to be turned OFF when we leave the boat unattended......, or do we want this power to be Un-Interruptible?
4...... If we power the Float Switch from a source that is CUT when we shut down all 12 VDC, how will the Float Switch operate the Bilge Pump if need be?
5..... wouldn't it be much better if the Float Switch's power was NOT CUT when we leave the boat un-attended?
6..... wouldn't it be nice if we could cut all 12 vdc Except for the Float Switch power?

Most of us here know how to achieve this.... but apparently some dealers DO NOT! :evil:

Rick E. Portland, Oregon
2850 Bounty Sedan Flybridge model
Twin 270 HP 5.7's w/ Closed Cooling
Volvo Penta DuoProp Drives
Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set
Last Edit: by 2850Bounty.

Automatic Bilge, 2015 185 17 Jul 2017 16:39 #53

• RobMick
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
Ron,

Agreed in all points. By me adding a connection to the existing wiring going over to the battery key switch, I have in fact made the bilge pump/float switch "uninterruptible" regardless of whether the red battery key is in the switch or not. The dealer or who ever wired it previously, did everything right EXCEPT connected it power source to the battery switch on the wrong terminal which only has power when the battery key is inserted and turned to the "on position.

So now, the ONLY thing receiving power in my boat with the red battery key removed is the bilge pump and float switch...

Thanks again for all your help

2012 BR 185 - 3.0 TKS

Automatic Bilge, 2015 185 17 Jul 2017 17:13 #54

• 2850Bounty
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

RobMick wrote: ............... So now, the ONLY thing receiving power in my boat with the red battery key removed is the bilge pump and float switch...

We DO NOT want Un-Interrupted power to the Bilge Pump!
Let the Float Switch power the Bilge Pump as needed!

The only items that should be receiving Un-Interrupted 12 vdc, will be your AM/FM radio Pre-Set memory and the Float Switch.

Rick E. Portland, Oregon
Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Automatic Bilge, 2015 185 17 Jul 2017 23:30 #55

• RobMick
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
I think we are on the same page, but I might not be on the same terminology as you.....please forgive me if I simply cannot get what you are saying thru my think skull.....

Before When I removed my red battery key, and I poured water into the bilge nothing happened. When I engaged the red battery, turned it on, and filled the bilge with water, then the bilge pump was started by the float switch which was tripped by the water level. Then I spliced into the wire labeled "bilge pump" that was connected to the back of the red battery key switch. Note....that there is also a wire labeled "stereo memory" that is connected to the same terminal as the wire labeled "bilge pump". Now when the red battery key is in, and turned to on, then and only then did my stereo have power. Every time I disengage the red battery key, my radio memory disappears. I really don't care about the stereo memory, but NOTHING in my boat had any power when the red battery key was turned off or removed...insert the red battery, and turn it to "on" now I had power to everything in the boat. So when you say not to provide uninterrupted power to the bilge pump, I don't believe that I am ....only to the float switch. The bilge pump does not run unless one of these 3 things happens....1) I physically turn it on from the helm (it will not work without the red battery key inserted and turned to "on) 2) the red battery key is inserted and turned to the "on" position then the bilge pump will automatically operate only if the float switch engages because there is eneough water 3) now even with the red battery completely removed, the bilge pump will come on automatically when the float switch engages because there is enough water. The bilge pump is not running unless the float switch engages....

If there is power to the bilge pump, wouldn't it be "running"? It only runs now by either me turning it on manually at the helm, or the float switch activates the pump because there is enough water in bilge...

2012 BR 185 - 3.0 TKS

Automatic Bilge, 2015 185 19 Jul 2017 13:55 #56

• 2850Bounty
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

RobMick wrote: I think we are on the same page, but I might not be on the same terminology as you.....please forgive me if I simply cannot get what you are saying thru my think skull.....

Before When I removed my red battery key, and I poured water into the bilge nothing happened. When I engaged the red battery, turned it on, and filled the bilge with water, then the bilge pump was started by the float switch which was tripped by the water level.
OK..... this meant that your Float Switch power was Interrupted when the Key was removed...... correct????
We DO NOT want the Float Switch power to be Interrupted by ANY DEVICE or by ANY MEANS!

Then I spliced into the wire labeled "bilge pump" that was connected to the back of the red battery key switch. Note....that there is also a wire labeled "stereo memory" that is connected to the same terminal as the wire labeled "bilge pump".
OK..... I'm following you so far.

Now when the red battery key is in, and turned to on, then and only then did my stereo have power.
Stereo power and Stereo's Pre-Set memory power will be (or should be) two entirely different circuits.

Every time I disengage the red battery key, my radio memory disappears.
That means that this power is Interrupted.

I really don't care about the stereo memory, but NOTHING in my boat had any power when the red battery key was turned off or removed...insert the red battery, and turn it to "on" now I had power to everything in the boat.
That is Goofy to say the least!

So when you say not to provide uninterrupted power to the bilge pump, I don't believe that I am ....only to the float switch.
OK...... you are not differentiating between "Bilge Pump" and "Bilge Pump Float Switch".
The Bilge Pump will have two means of activation......
1.... the manual helm switch. When the hull has been powered, and when this switch is turned ON, the bilge pump should operate.
2.... the Float Switch. This switch should be capable of operating the bilge pump regardless of the key being IN or NOT.

The bilge pump does not run unless one of these 3 things happens....1) I physically turn it on from the helm (it will not work without the red battery key inserted and turned to "on)
Do you typically leave your boat Un-Attended with the key left in position? :whistle:
If so..... I guess that you're OK. :whistle:
(yes.... that was sarcastic)

2) the red battery key is inserted and turned to the "on" position then the bilge pump will automatically operate only if the float switch engages because there is enough water
This is what you want to occur.... but it should NOT be dependent on the key being inserted and turned ON!
You want this same thing to occur, even when the key has been removed!

3) now even with the red battery completely removed, the bilge pump will come on automatically when the float switch engages because there is enough water. The bilge pump is not running unless the float switch engages....
Unless I've mis-read your previous statements...... this appears to be a contradiction.

If there is power to the bilge pump, wouldn't it be "running"?
Yes.... it will operate when power is applied....... but again, we need to delineate between Bilge Pump and Bilge Pump Float Switch.

It only runs now by either me turning it on manually at the helm, or the float switch activates the pump because there is enough water in bilge...
Understood.
However, I'm still unclear as to whether or not the key must be inserted and turned ON in order for the Float Switch to activate the Bilge Pump!

Honestly, I've gone as far as I can with regard to explaining this.

Good luck..... I hope that your main bilge pump is able to operate if/when you were to encounter a water leak while the boat is un-attended.

Rick E. Portland, Oregon
Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Automatic Bilge, 2015 185 19 Jul 2017 15:21 #57

• oakplank
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • 2014 Element owner
  • Thank you received: 89

2850Bounty wrote:

RobMick wrote: ............... So now, the ONLY thing receiving power in my boat with the red battery key removed is the bilge pump and float switch...

The only items that should be receiving Un-Interrupted 12 vdc, will be your AM/FM radio Pre-Set memory and the Float Switch.

I'm not sure that I want the radio connected with un-interrupted power. My radio has a company logo lit 24/7, whether the radio is in the "off" or "on" position. If my boat is left unattended for a period of time, my battery drains.

Parry Sound, Ontario Canada
2014 Bayliner Element with Mercury 60 HP EFI Big Foot OB
12 foot aluminum fishing boat with 5 HP Mercury OB

Automatic Bilge, 2015 185 19 Jul 2017 15:28 #58

• 2850Bounty
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

oakplank wrote:

2850Bounty wrote:

I'm not sure that I want the radio connected with un-interrupted power. My radio has a company logo lit 24/7, whether the radio is in the "off" or "on" position. If my boat is left unattended for a period of time, my battery drains.

I'm speaking about the radio Pre-Set memory circuit...... not the radio power circuit!
Often this Pre-Set memory circuit is a yellow 16 or 18 ga wire.

Rick E. Portland, Oregon
Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Automatic Bilge, 2015 185 19 Jul 2017 20:58 #59

• RobMick
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
It works as you described Bounty! Thanks for all your help....even works without the key by activation of the float switch
It will only manually work with the helm switch, but the key has to be in and engaged to work...

I think we were talking about the same thing(s), just a breakdown on my part probably for not using "correct" words or descriptive notes.

2012 BR 185 - 3.0 TKS
Moderators: JeffwAlaskanmutt
Time to create page: 0.225 seconds