Recall on some models of Mustang Survival inflatable PFDs 09 Oct 2015 13:55 #1

• BobS
  • BobS's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Richmond, VA
  • Thank you received: 48
From BoatUS:

Recall alert! Mustang Survival recalls select inflatable PFDs with fluorescent green inflation bladders. Check out the details.

www.mustangsurvival.com/advisories?country=25

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Bob
"Easy Living"
2007 Discovery 246, 5.0L MPI, CC, B3
Boating on the James River, Virginia

Recall on some models of Mustang Survival inflatable PFDs 02 Nov 2015 02:22 #2

• 706jim
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 62
Which once again begs the question: Will it or won't it inflate when the chips are down?

I would prefer a conventional lifejacket for just this reason.

2007 Discovery 246
300mpi BIII
Welcome island Lake Superior

Recall on some models of Mustang Survival inflatable PFDs 05 May 2017 19:51 #3

• CptCrunchie
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 150

BobS wrote: From BoatUS:

Recall alert! Mustang Survival recalls select inflatable PFDs with fluorescent green inflation bladders. Check out the details.

I have recent experience with this. Did you know that the older Crewfits were not USCG certified? They came out at a time when there were very few regulations for their use. I bought mine in 1996 as 'top of the line' for offshore sailing and happily used it every year since, even had it approved by the USCG Auxiliary through a number of boat inspections. The idea was, as long as the 'red' wasn't showing, and the cylinder hadn't been punctured, you were good to go.

This all came about when I finally decided to clean mine. I removed the cylinder and the collar, scrubbed it, let it completely dry, and put it back together. However, there must have been some moisture left in it, because it inflated overnight. When I did an internet search for a new arming kit, the recall notice for this model came up.

I sent an inquiry to Mustang and I received this from the QA department:

> 'Crewfits' were never USCG approved ...... due to the age of this unit and recall notice ..... please discontinue use of the PFD. Our recommendations for replacement is at the 10 years from date of manufacture as there can be a breakdown of material that can compromise the integrity of the lifesaving device.

Replacing them every 10 years is just their recommendation (for obvious reasons), but I believe their serviceable use is much, much longer.

I also learned that except for the new HIT (hydrostatic inflator technology), you are supposed to replace the white absorption collar in them every year. You can get them at WM for a couple of $$.

If you want to know about yours, look for a UL number on the stitched label. If it has one, you are good to go. If it doesn't and isn't one of the recalls, best you replace it due to its age.

Because mine was one of the complete recalls (not just the inflation device) even way back then, thanks to the QA department of Mustang, I am now the proud owner of their new 'top of the line' HIT offshore sailing inflatable pdf.

Mustang rocks!

"B on D C", is a 1989 2459 Trophy Offshore HT, OMC 5.7L, Cobra OD, Yamaha 15hp kicker. Lots of toys! I'm no mechanic, just a blue water sailer and woodworker who loves deep sea fishing.
MMSI: 367637220
HAM: KE7TTR
TDI tech diver
BoD, North Olympic Peninsula Puget Sound Anglers, Sequim, WA
Kevin
Last Edit: by CptCrunchie.
  • Page:
Moderators: JeffwAlaskanmutt
Time to create page: 0.135 seconds