Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
12 May 2017
We've received enough money to cover our site hosting fees for another 6 months (with a 6 month reserve).
For those who donated, the BOC Admin Team thanks you. We will strive to maintain the BOC as a place where you want to visit and interact.

Thanks again,
The BOC Volunteer Staff
  • Page:

TOPIC: Draining and disinfecting fresh water tank for 1995 Bayliner Classic 2452

Draining and disinfecting fresh water tank for 1995 Bayliner Classic 2452 23 Feb 2014 18:45 #1

• JPC
  • JPC's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0
How do I drain the fresh water tank? also best way to dis-infect tank at start of season?
This boat does not have a water pump, only manual at sink

JPC

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Draining and disinfecting fresh water tank for 1995 Bayliner Classic 2452 23 Feb 2014 22:57 #2

• Go Aweigh2452
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Olalla, WA
  • Thank you received: 531
Your water tank may have a plug near the bottom that can be opened and drain into the bilge. If not, pull the top plug and or hose connection and gravity drain into the bilge. Once empty, refill with clean water and add a tablespoon of bleach and let stand overnight. Drain again into the bilge, refill and your tank ought to be clean and fresh. You could add 1/2 bottle of peppermint or spearmint cooking flavoring found in the local supermarket baking aisle... Really small bottles and it does not take a lot to get a "neutral" fresh flavor of water...

Doug ;}
MMSI: 338068776
"Go Aweigh to" Photos < click on red letters... 2001 Bayliner 2452 w/6.2 HO (paid for)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Draining and disinfecting fresh water tank for 1995 Bayliner Classic 2452 23 Feb 2014 23:25 #3

• JPC
  • JPC's Avatar Topic Author
Thanks for your reply, I'll have to see in the spring if I can even see the water tank, I've had this boat for 2 years and never had to look to see where it is, I know I have bacteria in the tank, I can smell it, but it was winterized and covered before I could do anything about the water tank. JPC

Draining and disinfecting fresh water tank for 1995 Bayliner Classic 2452 15 May 2017 05:03 #4

• Fokemon
  • Thank you received: 2
Even this is an old topic, but I do have the same issue... In which end the drain plug could be found? My 2452 is bit rebuild, and access to tank is really restricted. I can see it, but even touching is bit difficult.
Can I gravity drain tank from fill hole? I have the boat docked now, so it would be really easy to get the height correct.

Bayliner 2452 Classic / BMW M57
www.facebook.com/ruodollarokotettu/?fref=ts

Draining and disinfecting fresh water tank for 1995 Bayliner Classic 2452 16 May 2017 02:45 #5

• Chief Alen
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Manalapan N.J
  • Thank you received: 1002
You can use compressed regulated air put to the hose feeding your sink, remove it off the bottom, the water will shoot out the vent. Say you have hand pump it's easy.

Say you have a water pump you can remove the hose off the pump that feeds it.

Be good, be happy, for tomorrow is promised to no man !

1994 2452, 5.0l, Alpha gen. 2 drive. Sold ! Sold ! Sold !

'86 / 19' Citation cuddy, Merc. 3.0L / 140 hp 86' , stringer drive. Sold ! Sold ! Sold !

Draining and disinfecting fresh water tank for 1995 Bayliner Classic 2452 16 May 2017 03:19 #6

• Patrevan
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 44
I'd add to Rick's comments... ( I do the following every spring). I add a bit more bleach (1/4 cup). Add when the tank is empty. Fill the tank til its running out the fill. If you have any lines that feed off that tank (bathroom, rear washdown, hotwater tank?), its important at this point to get treated water flowing through all those points and that the bleach treated water has a while to let stand. Then refill again. To the extent possible, we want '0' air left in that tank and that the treated water is filling all the voids of the tank,lines and fixtures. Drain, rinse, repeat if you think its bad enough. Personally, we don't drink the water on the boat, though will shower, cook and clean with it.

Mike & Dixi
2006 265 5.0 MPI B3
Closed Cooling

Draining and disinfecting fresh water tank for 1995 Bayliner Classic 2452 16 May 2017 07:25 #7

• Fokemon
Thanks , Chief Alen
So, if I shoot air from tab line, water will come out from vent? Need to try that, after I find a compressor from somewhere :D

Last Edit: by Fokemon.

Draining and disinfecting fresh water tank for 1995 Bayliner Classic 2452 16 May 2017 08:26 #8

• Chief Alen
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Manalapan N.J
  • Thank you received: 1002
The idea is to get 1-3 psi into the tank.

I have an adaptor for a tube, I placed that against the fill and shot air into my tank it came out the vent.

Hand pump for a camping mattress would work.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Fokemon

Be good, be happy, for tomorrow is promised to no man !

1994 2452, 5.0l, Alpha gen. 2 drive. Sold ! Sold ! Sold !

'86 / 19' Citation cuddy, Merc. 3.0L / 140 hp 86' , stringer drive. Sold ! Sold ! Sold !

Draining and disinfecting fresh water tank for 1995 Bayliner Classic 2452 16 May 2017 12:39 #9

• elmerfud
  • 1996 2452 bayliner
as I have a 96 2452 I am interested in procedure for draining tank/ as a 25 year recreational vehicle dealer I have some experience-the water system is a non-pressurized demand type and I think the best solution for tank draining is to have a valve allowing it to flow into the forward bilge pump sump and pumping it overboard-you could also pull the supply line to sink and drain it into a dishpan-using two and dumping it into sink alternating. Trying to get the water to flow up and out the vent line is fighting gravity.Putting a tee in the supply line and having a drain valve into the forward bilge sump is a permanent solution.The water heater has a pressure relief valve that drains into the forward bilge so I would also add a drain valve for the water heater tank. Walmart has an aquafresh product for purifying tank and preventing algae growth.Rv dealers should have the fittings.

From amber waves of grain in Wyoming to Venice Florida: From 30 below zero to 80+above--I love the sunshine: I live in Wyoming but have a 2452 bayliner stored in venice florida- I have had runabouts in fresh water and have a 1989 17' Bayliner capri but am totally new to saltwater boating.'

Draining and disinfecting fresh water tank for 1995 Bayliner Classic 2452 16 May 2017 14:47 #10

• builderdude
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • "THE FIX"
  • Thank you received: 664
I'm not understanding how pressurizing the potable water tank with air will drain the tank. The fill and vent connections are located at the top of the tank. Air pressure will only remove a small amount of water and only if the tank is full to the point the fill and vent hoses have water in them also.
If all you have is a hand pump you could disconnect the line that feeds it (this line will come off the bottom of the tank) and pull the water out with a shop vac. Make sure your vent line is clear and remove the fill cap also while using this method.

Dave
Edmonds, WA
"THE FIX"
'93 Ciera 2556 Mercruiser 5.7 Bravo II
.030 over-Votec top end-part closed cooled
***The rebuild of my 2556***
www.baylinerownersclub.org/index.php/for...ansom-repair-my-2556

Draining and disinfecting fresh water tank for 1995 Bayliner Classic 2452 16 May 2017 14:55 #11

• Jeffw
  • Arizona Coast
  • Thank you received: 422
Or, you could just turn on the pump, open the galley sink faucet, and let the water drain overboard...B)

Jeff & Tara
(And Ginger too)
Lake Havasu City, AZ
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
2000 Bayliner 2858
"GETA WAY"
MMSI: 338094599
In memory of Shadow, the best boat dog ever. Rest in peace, girl. July 2, 2010

Draining and disinfecting fresh water tank for 1995 Bayliner Classic 2452 16 May 2017 15:17 #12

• builderdude
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • "THE FIX"
  • Thank you received: 664

Jeffw wrote: Or, you could just turn on the pump, open the galley sink faucet, and let the water drain overboard...B)

That's how I'd do it Jeff but it's a hand operated pump on op's boat, not sure if it's the same for Fokemon

Dave
Edmonds, WA
"THE FIX"
'93 Ciera 2556 Mercruiser 5.7 Bravo II
.030 over-Votec top end-part closed cooled
***The rebuild of my 2556***
www.baylinerownersclub.org/index.php/for...ansom-repair-my-2556
Last Edit: by builderdude.

Draining and disinfecting fresh water tank for 1995 Bayliner Classic 2452 16 May 2017 16:30 #13

• aluxury1
  • Thank you received: 3
This works.

Take a quarter cup of house hold bleach for every fifteen gallons of water that your fresh water tank holds. Mix the bleach, with water, into a one-gallon container and pour it into the fresh water holding tank. Fill the fresh water tank almost completely full of water. Turn the water pump on, open all hot and cold faucets and run the water until you smell the bleach at each faucet. Close the faucets. Let it sit for at least 12 hours. Drain the entire system again and re-fill the fresh water tank with potable water. Open all of the faucets and run the water until you no longer smell any bleach. Flush the system with a vinegar solution of 1 quart vinegar to 5 gallons of water then refill twice and drain twice. Remember to be running a phases of these procedures through the hot water tank also, so use the hot water faucets the majority of the time to drain the system. This work excellent, but easy to do in phases while you are messing around with other projects on the boat.

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Brett
2001 2858 EC
2007 Mercruiser D'Tronic 250
Sane people, tossing good money into a hole in the water!
Last Edit: by aluxury1.

Draining and disinfecting fresh water tank for 1995 Bayliner Classic 2452 17 May 2017 09:38 #14

• Fokemon
My pump is also manual, so I can leave it open, but nothing happens unless I do something :lol:
I think I am gonna do an gravity drain system by extending the feed line and bringing it out of the window. I have to dock the boat on my yard every 6 months anyway, so this would just be part of maintenance.
Just bought Puratank to clean it!

Draining and disinfecting fresh water tank for 1995 Bayliner Classic 2452 19 May 2017 02:04 #15

• aluxury1
  • Thank you received: 3

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Brett
2001 2858 EC
2007 Mercruiser D'Tronic 250
Sane people, tossing good money into a hole in the water!

Draining and disinfecting fresh water tank for 1995 Bayliner Classic 2452 23 May 2017 03:34 #16

• Fokemon
So, I did cut the hose coming to tab, and made a T-fitting there, about 10cm from tab. To 3rd end of T-fitting I inserted a 3m garden hose. It dried the tank nicely on the yard, out of the window, with gravity. Just needed a bit of pressure to start. I used puratank (Hydrogen peroxide), and after flushing "spiced" water with some other stuff that helps to preserve water. And, of course, plugged the garden hose. So far seems to be nice solution, as the hose is already in place for autumn.

Last Edit: by Fokemon.
  • Page:
Moderators: JeffwAlaskanmutt
Time to create page: 0.197 seconds