• Page:

TOPIC: Sun Shade material

Sun Shade material 13 Mar 2010 03:11 #1

• BLCarl
  • BLCarl's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 2
Many of the crusiers in the marina have Black/White/Beige screen over the outside of the windows. From the inside you can see out but it looks solid from the outside and you can't see in. I see similar material in the hardware store garden department but I don't think it's the same. Does anyone know the brand name of this material and where you can get it.

Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Carl

Sun Shade material 13 Mar 2010 03:17 #2

• whiskywizard
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Out exploring the waters of the Kawartha Lakes
  • Thank you received: 252
Phifertex is one of the more common trade names for it.

Most fabric stores have it.
http://www.jackson.ca/Product%20Pages/Sample%20cards/phifertex.htm

Regards
Whiskywizard
[/COLOR]

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while you could miss it.
- Ferris Bueller

Sun Shade material 13 Mar 2010 05:41 #3

• SomeSailor
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 258
I was getting ready to use Pfifertex, but have you looked at Sunbrella Sunshade?

It's supposed to be more UV stable than Pfifer.

Sun Shade material 13 Mar 2010 10:31 #4

• Screwloose
  • Thank you received: 0
Textilene is another one.

We put screens on our 2850 CB about 5 years ago and did a lot of researching before going with navy blue vs. white and with the medium weave vs the tight. Consensus was that the darker colors cut glare better than white but at the time I was worried about heat build up since we are in a warm climate. Last November I spent 6 days on a Grand Banks 42 with white screens. That experience confirmed to me that the darker colors do cut the glare and make seeing out from the interior more comfortable. Heat build up has never been a problem.

If you can I would recommend getting on a few boats that have them and looking at the weave and color before making that investment.

Sun Shade material 13 Mar 2010 17:04 #5

• Papa Charlie
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 165
I have the Black Sunbrella shades covering the salon exterior windows. They truely do reduce the heat build up inside, protect the fabrics and wood on the interior and you can see to operate during the day. Tried to operate at night but it really reduced too much light to do so safely unless your making open water passage.
I had thought about adding curtains of Sunbrella around the cockpit cover for air flow during the summer. But have decided to wait as I hope to install a hard top at a later date.

Patrick and Patti
4588 Pilothouse 1991
12ft Endeavor RIB 2013
M/V "Paloma"
MMSI # 338142921

Sun Shade material 07 Dec 2010 00:54 #6

• 20miler
  • Thank you received: 0
What about privacy? Would you run around naked in there with mesh and does black or white matter?

Silver Lining (new boat)

Sun Shade material 07 Dec 2010 01:21 #7

• Saintjon
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 54

20miler;526762 wrote: What about privacy? Would you run around naked in there with mesh and does black or white matter?

Only if you have a great bod.;)

46' 1991 Holiday Mansion
1998 Chaparral 2835 SS Limited Edition
β€œThe truth is,eveyone is going to hurt you.You just have to find the one worth suffering for.”
― Bob Marley

Sun Shade material 07 Dec 2010 01:45 #8

• Go Aweigh2452
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Olalla, WA
  • Thank you received: 534
There are two types of mesh in Phifertex material. Most you see covering boat windows is 50% viewable and the Phifertex Plus is 90%.

No you can not see inside if you have the plus. You can see inside with the regular stuff though it is hard to determine what you are looking at ;)

We just finished installing the plus... we like it a lot. Word of warning from friends that have canvas for coverings up in the PNW, canvas is more susceptible to mold as it holds in moisture. So if you are in a wet climate... think twice about canvas... Phifertex does not hold moisture and is more resilient to UV damage

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

Doug ;}
MMSI: 338068776
"Go Aweigh to" Photos < click on red letters... 2001 Bayliner 2452 w/6.2 HO (paid for)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Sun Shade material 07 Dec 2010 01:54 #9

• SomeSailor
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 258

20miler;526762 wrote: What about privacy? Would you run around naked in there with mesh and does black or white matter?

I would imagine the white would reflect away more sunlight, but I think the black looks better. I bought material for both black and white when doing mine (I sewed them myself) and opted for the black for the outside. I also built a set of white snap in mesh covers for the inside for those days when you just want to block the direct sunlight.

The Pfiffertex stuff is really fun to work with too.

Sun Shade material 07 Dec 2010 02:46 #10

• SwampNut
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 215
The black radiates heat, which it has absorbed from the sun. The light colors, like tan, gray, and white, do not. I don't think there's any difference in light blocking value, at least I've never noticed any. We have tan and the boats around us have all sorts of different colors. Obviously this is a popular add-on in AZ.

"With or without religion, good people can behave well and bad people can do evil; but for good people to do evil β€” that takes religion."
-Steven Weinberg

Sun Shade material 11 Aug 2017 21:13 #11

• rbrauerei
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Chesapeake Bay, MD
  • Thank you received: 63
Resurrecting this vintage topic on sun shade. We've been attaching beach towels to the bimini with "bimini clips" for shade, but thinking of a more refined solution that can also allow some air to flow. Basic research led me to Sailrite website with the Phifertex mesh material. Decided to do a BOC search and see if there are any opinions on the material and found this topic. Opinions from AZ regarding sun/shade and PNW regarding mold/mildew are very valuable and appreciated! Looks like this material is the thing. Now to get some material and put the wife to work on making some "custom" shades!

Any other recommendations or ideas welcome too!

Rick
"Our Dream" -- 2015 21' Bayliner 642, 4.3 MPI Mercruiser

"Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates." Mark Twain

Last Edit: by rbrauerei.

Sun Shade material 11 Aug 2017 22:16 #12

• Norton Rider
  • Thank you received: 606
Leta made a windshield cover out of a similar material for my boat. I really like the shade it provides. I also like that it is not totally opaque, I can see out when the cover is on.

I can't comment on mold/mildew because I've never had it on in the rain. Also, since mine is a windshield cover, I can't comment on the air flow.
The following user(s) said Thank You: rbrauerei

1999 3788, Cummins 270 "Freedom"
2013 Boston Whaler 130 SS
Anacortes, WA

Sun Shade material 11 Aug 2017 22:50 #13

• rbrauerei
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Chesapeake Bay, MD

Norton Rider wrote: Leta made a windshield cover out of a similar material for my boat.

The thought did cross my mind to have a canvas shop make an enclosure using the shade material and the full canvas enclosure that attaches to the bimini as a pattern, including zippers and snaps. Could easily attach just the sections necessary for shade. But cost would likely be way more than I want to pay.

Although, I think the full enclosure might also be a mosquito protection option, but it might cut down too much on air flow which is limited already in the cuddy. We already have a DIY mosquito net that goes over the cuddy hatch that we are still refining.

Rick

"Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates." Mark Twain

Sun Shade material 11 Aug 2017 23:40 #14

• Don77
  • Thank you received: 12
I am thinking of using Shade cloth from H.D. and clip it to the top with those heavy duty metal clips that are used to clip papers together!
Only need enough to cover 2 to 3 sides and can be moved as needed and removed with ease!
Don

1995 Maxum 2400 SCR LUNA DE MIEL
1988 Bayliner 2455 (sold)
1976 Tahiti 16.5 I/O (sold)
10 ft livingston (lost in fire )
1987 18ft. Seaswirl cuddy (lost in fire)
"Is it better to be on a boat thinking about God, or be in church thinking about boating?"

Sun Shade material 12 Aug 2017 00:34 #15

• rbrauerei
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Chesapeake Bay, MD
Don, I looked at the shade cloth available from Home Depot or online from gardening/landscaping suppliers, even Amazon. It certainly is an option and inexpensive. Although it does seem thinner and more tarp-like than some of the sun shade materials I've seen used in marine applications. Of course, "marine grade" always adds a cost factor.

Rick

Sun Shade material 12 Aug 2017 14:31 #16

• Pcpete
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 326
The HD stuff would certainly work for a proof of concept.

P/C Pete
Edmonds Yacht Club (Commodore 1993)
1988 3818 "GLAUBEN"
1980 Encounter Sunbridge "Misty Blue" (Sold)
MMSI 367770440
1972 Chevrolet Nova Frame off Resto-mod in the garage
Boating on the Salish Sea since 1948

Sun Shade material 12 Aug 2017 14:45 #17

• rbrauerei
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Chesapeake Bay, MD

Pcpete wrote: The HD stuff would certainly work for a proof of concept.

That is a fantastic suggestion! I hadn't thought of that. Make some patterns before cutting the expensive stuff.

Rick

Sun Shade material 13 Aug 2017 03:04 #18

• Don77
  • Thank you received: 12
We have been using this cloth from H.D. for about 3 years at our house and it has worked well! We take it down in the late fall when the sun has moved far enough south!
It has stood up very well! And cuts the heat very well!
Don

1995 Maxum 2400 SCR LUNA DE MIEL
1988 Bayliner 2455 (sold)
1976 Tahiti 16.5 I/O (sold)
10 ft livingston (lost in fire )
1987 18ft. Seaswirl cuddy (lost in fire)
"Is it better to be on a boat thinking about God, or be in church thinking about boating?"

Sun Shade material 13 Aug 2017 07:42 #19

• Solandri
  • Thank you received: 38

SwampNut wrote: The black radiates heat, which it has absorbed from the sun. The light colors, like tan, gray, and white, do not. I don't think there's any difference in light blocking value, at least I've never noticed any. We have tan and the boats around us have all sorts of different colors. Obviously this is a popular add-on in AZ.

For anyone wondering what's going on with the color, the black absorbs light and radiates it as infrared (heat). The white absorbs less light and radiates it as infrared, reflects more of the light as white. So the black has less glare because it's eliminating more light from bouncing around inside the cabin.

If the material were inside the cabin, the black would cause the interior to heat up more. But because it's outside, the heat stays outside. If you touched it outside, the black would be hotter than the white.* But glass is mostly opaque to infrared (hence why greenhouses are made of glass), so the additional radiated heat from the black stays outside. Do note that acrylic is transparent to infrared, so if you have plexiglass windows the extra heat will go right through them.

*It's a bit of a misnomer to think of black as absorbing more heat. Black acts like a heat conductor. White like a heat insulator. So during the day when there's an external heat source, the black will be hotter. But at night it will be cooler because it radiates away latent heat faster than white.

1994 2556, 350 MAG MPI Horizon, Bravo 2

Sun Shade material 13 Aug 2017 13:04 #20

• rbrauerei
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Chesapeake Bay, MD
Solandri, this is a a great explanation! I understood the light absorption/reflection aspects of black/white, but not really the relationship to heat as you explain. Thanks!

Rick

• Page:
Moderators: JeffwAlaskanmutt
Time to create page: 0.166 seconds