Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: 3055 Swimplatform Extensions

3055 Swimplatform Extensions 16 Jan 2010 07:04 #1

• Captain Chaos
  • Captain Chaos's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0
I have a 1999 3055 with twin 5.7 and am looking at these extensions to increase swimplatform area. Concerned about adding extra weight to stern as I also want to carry a transom mounted tender (120-150#) along with the extension (160-175#). Just wondering if anybody has a setup like this and how it affects their performance? swimplatforms.com

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

3055 Swimplatform Extensions 16 Jan 2010 14:19 #2

• Brutus
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
I have setup like this and also added additional equipment in the stern.

See my Photo Album

It does impact the performance of the boat but not as much as you would think.

PM me if you would like specific questions answered.

"Scarborough"
Bayliner 305 - 2005
Twin 5.7L 350 MAG MPI Horizon
Kohler 6KW Genset
Navman 4KW Digital Radar
Navman 8084 GPS MFDs x 3
Northstar Autopilot Dual Head
Interphase 180 Forward Sonar
Webasto Aircon
S&K 100 LPH Watermaker
Intellian 45cm Satellite Receiver
FLIR Navigator II Pan Tilt Thermal...

3055 Swimplatform Extensions 16 Jan 2010 17:53 #3

• SwampNut
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 215
That company's gelcoat color does NOT match the Bayliner gel coat. The platform looks bluish while the Bayliner color is creamy. Looks awful. My neighbor has one on his 3055. Also the checkered pattern they use on their platform is murder on bare feet. And finally, the coring they use is very heavy.

There's another company making platforms that uses a light balsa core, will color-match the Bayliner gel coat, and their non-skid is comfortable: swim-platform.com

Both companies are local to me so I visited them before deciding on my platform. The one from swim-platform.com was superior in every way. The cruiser platform photo on their site is actually my boat. It was the first time they had done a 4' extension on a small cruiser.

"With or without religion, good people can behave well and bad people can do evil; but for good people to do evil — that takes religion."
-Steven Weinberg

3055 Swimplatform Extensions 16 Jan 2010 19:21 #4

• Jeffw
  • Arizona Coast
  • Thank you received: 451
I also visited the company that made Carlos' platform and was impressed. He e-mailed me a file of pictures on a 3055/305 that he had done. Pm your e-mail address and I will forward them to you.

Jeff & Tara
(And Ginger too)
Lake Havasu City, AZ
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
2000 Bayliner 2858
"GETA WAY"
MMSI: 338094599
In memory of Shadow, the best boat dog ever. Rest in peace, girl. July 2, 2010

3055 Swimplatform Extensions 16 Jan 2010 23:38 #5

• SwampNut
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
This shows the color mismatch:

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

"With or without religion, good people can behave well and bad people can do evil; but for good people to do evil — that takes religion."
-Steven Weinberg

3055 Swimplatform Extensions 18 Jan 2010 11:59 #6

• cmagic99
Gee, I installed one from swimplatforms.com and have yet to notice a mismatch in color or the non-skid hurting my feet (although it does seem to bother my knees if I kneel on it too long). I carry my dink back there while underway (flat on its bottom; not on its side) and haven't noticed a significant decrease in performance. I can still get up on plane, but it now takes a little longer without using the tabs, so now I drop the tabs for a moment while getting up on step and then adjust. Haven't noticed an increase in fuel consumption (as measured on the Twinscan), although it has to have some affect with the extra weight. The extra space back there has seriously altered our enjoyment while on the hook, though. When anchored, we put up a small camping table and a tabletop grill for cooking out, we put our deck chairs out there to enjoy the view, and run our generator from back there, and with all still have room to get around or use it while swimming, etc. Best buy and improvement I've done to the boat. We love it.

Cheers,
Randy
2003 305SB, "Sea Magic"
Middle River, MD

3055 Swimplatform Extensions 18 Jan 2010 13:21 #7

• Impactg
I've purchased two platforms from swimplatforms.com and have been very pleased with their platforms and their service. They are a top-notch product.

Todd
2008 320
Raystown Lake

3055 Swimplatform Extensions 18 Jan 2010 14:10 #8

• BrianM
Can't say how it will affect performance since your boat is much bigger than
mine. Can say that the platform is one of my favorite, most used items on mine. So glad I have it.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Brian
Southern California
2008 Maxum 1900 SR3, 4.3V-6, Alpha 1

3055 Swimplatform Extensions 18 Jan 2010 23:56 #9

• SwampNut
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

Gee, I installed one from swimplatforms.com and have yet to notice a mismatch in color

How long ago did you get yours? Did they do a specific color match? Our neighbor got his six months ago and the color mismatch is obvious and annoying to all.

the non-skid hurting my feet

Our neighbor put a rug on his so people could stand it.

-Steven Weinberg

3055 Swimplatform Extensions 19 Jan 2010 05:12 #10

• chucksberg
The non skid on my platform is identical to the nonskid all over my boat. The color also matches.

If you friend was not satisfied, why didn't he return it? Can't imagine that Scott would not take it back and give a credit or replace it.

Chuck S.
License to Chill Columbus, Ohio
2001 2252 5.0 V8 A1
1992 270 Sea Ray Sundancer
7.4 Bravo II

3055 Swimplatform Extensions 19 Jan 2010 11:32 #11

• cmagic99

SwampNut;406958 wrote: How long ago did you get yours? Did they do a specific color match? Our neighbor got his six months ago and the color mismatch is obvious and annoying to all.

Our neighbor put a rug on his so people could stand it.

Let's see, I guess this will be the 3rd season, coming up, with it. They didn't do a specific color match; just asked me if I had the Bayliner white gelcoat. I do put down a small rug at the swim ladder for when I'm climbing out of the water so my knees have something softer to kneel on.

Cheers,
Randy
2003 305SB, "Sea Magic"
Middle River, MD

3055 Swimplatform Extensions 20 Jan 2010 17:38 #12

• SwampNut
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member

If you friend was not satisfied, why didn't he return it?

I didn't ask that question, so I don't know. It's a custom job so he probably assumed it was a done deal.

I guess maybe something has changed since Randy got his. Certainly our other 3055 owner is not going to the same guy to find out.

-Steven Weinberg

3055 Swimplatform Extensions 20 Jan 2010 21:18 #13

• CapriSS2050
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
After reading this post i looked at their website and in some of the pics you do see a blue/aqua tint to them.

3055 Swimplatform Extensions 20 Jan 2010 21:41 #14

• Just-a-vacation
Mine was from swimplatforms.com

not one issue, other than they sent the wrong installation kit. Had the correct kit before I planned to install anyway. Not a big deal. And I got to keep the incorrect kit. Just need to find a project to use the stainless steel hardware and rods.

Here is a pic. Color and texture is exactly the same. Istalled in about 1.5 hours with a little help from my wife to position correctly.

Best mod I have ever made to a boat. The AC/Heat is a close second.

1994 2855 7.4l BII (SOLD !!!)
1998 Towmaster Tri-axle Trailer
2008 Silverado 3500HD Duramax/Allison:worth
"Just-a-vacation" - Cicero, NY
http://www.photobucket.com/ryanjb01

3055 Swimplatform Extensions 20 Jan 2010 21:48 #15

• cmagic99
Hhmm....now that I think about, maybe replacing my manual Jabsco head with a Vacuflush was the best improvement I've done with the swim platform being a very close second. Regardless where you get the platform, though, it is well worth the investment IMHO. Maybe I just got lucky about the color matching.

Cheers,
Randy
2003 305SB, "Sea Magic"
Middle River, MD

3055 Swimplatform Extensions 21 Jan 2010 14:47 #16

• Impactg
Color match on my 2655... looks right to me.

Todd
2008 320
Raystown Lake

3055 Swimplatform Extensions 21 Jan 2010 18:34 #17

• VanIsle Bay
cmagic, Do you have any pics? What was cost? How long/complicated to install? I have a 2001 3055 and would love to make this addition

3055 Swimplatform Extensions 21 Jan 2010 18:45 #18

• cmagic99

VanIsle Bay;408168 wrote: cmagic, Do you have any pics? What was cost? How long/complicated to install? I have a 2001 3055 and would love to make this addition

I'm not sure if I have any good pics, but I'll see. I didn't do the install;I had the yard do it. I think the cost of the platform was around $2400, shipping was about $400, and installation was around $600, for a grand total of $3400 or less. I didn't think I had the time nor the talent to install it myself, so I ponied up the $$$$. Personally, beside the Vacuflush, this was money well spent. (note: I did install the Vacuflush myself though).

Cheers,
Randy
2003 305SB, "Sea Magic"
Middle River, MD

3055 Swimplatform Extensions 21 Jan 2010 19:48 #19

• waynepj3
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 1
Hmm..a swim platform extension would make it easier bbq'n off the back of the boat. I hook my magma up to the back of the boat and bbq steaks, brats, burgers etc...lessen for the wise..dont put cheese on the burger while its still on the grill. I had to dismantle the entire grill to clean all the cheese off...no fun.

3055 Swimplatform Extensions 21 Jan 2010 19:54 #20

• BrianM
Ok...that's it....I gotta stop looking at these types of threads with photos of the 28-32 footers. Getting severe case of 8-12 footitus even though I have only had my boat since August and have been very pleased with it. Can say....my factory installed platform matches up beautifully. Just happens to be on too small of a boat LOL.

When is the LA boat show? (don't tell the admiral I asked).

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Brian
Southern California

3055 Swimplatform Extensions 21 Jan 2010 21:02 #21

• waynepj3
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member

BrianM;408194 wrote: Ok...that's it....I gotta stop looking at these types of threads with photos of the 28-32 footers. Getting severe case of 8-12 footitus even though I have only had my boat since August and have been very pleased with it. Can say....my factory installed platform matches up beautifully. Just happens to be on too small of a boat LOL.

When is the LA boat show? (don't tell the admiral I asked).

I had the itis and the 3055 cured it. I know longer look at larger boats..well..the Meridian 341 actually looks pretty clean...saw it on youtube..boattest..but it probably guzzles too much gas. Any who...itis can be cured with a larger boat and now is a good time. I saw a 3055 for $18k on www.yachtauctions.com . Check it out!! Bid 14k and see if they take it. Seatrial that puppy...surveys dont appear to be worth it unless its an engine survey. Even still they cant do destructive inspection and take things apart. Sea trialing it and making sure it runs to spec (wot rpms, engine temp etc) will tell you more than a $300 survey.

3055 Swimplatform Extensions 22 Jan 2010 01:51 #22

• 3 wide
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 14

waynepj3;408234 wrote: I had the itis and the 3055 cured it. I know longer look at larger boats..well..the Meridian 341 actually looks pretty clean...saw it on youtube..boattest..but it probably guzzles too much gas. Any who...itis can be cured with a larger boat and now is a good time. I saw a 3055 for $18k on www.yachtauctions.com . Check it out!! Bid 14k and see if they take it. Seatrial that puppy...surveys dont appear to be worth it unless its an engine survey. Even still they cant do destructive inspection and take things apart. Sea trialing it and making sure it runs to spec (wot rpms, engine temp etc) will tell you more than a $300 survey.

Sounds like that boat is beat!

3 WIDE
02 Ciera 2855
350 Mag MPI
w/ Bravo III
New Jersey

3055 Swimplatform Extensions 22 Jan 2010 03:47 #23

• BrianM

waynepj3;408234 wrote: I had the itis and the 3055 cured it. I know longer look at larger boats..well..the Meridian 341 actually looks pretty clean...saw it on youtube..boattest..but it probably guzzles too much gas. Any who...itis can be cured with a larger boat and now is a good time. I saw a 3055 for $18k on www.yachtauctions.com . Check it out!! Bid 14k and see if they take it. Seatrial that puppy...surveys dont appear to be worth it unless its an engine survey. Even still they cant do destructive inspection and take things apart. Sea trialing it and making sure it runs to spec (wot rpms, engine temp etc) will tell you more than a $300 survey.

Thanks for the link. Ironic, that 3055 is going for less than I paid for my new 1900SR3. Think I am good for a while!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Brian
Southern California

3055 Swimplatform Extensions 22 Jan 2010 14:03 #24

• cmagic99

VanIsle Bay;408168 wrote: cmagic, Do you have any pics? What was cost? How long/complicated to install? I have a 2001 3055 and would love to make this addition

Turns out the only decent picture I have doesn't really show the platform, just what I carry on it (the dinghy) and how. Gives a good feel for the size of it, though.

Attached files [img]/media/kunena/attachments/vb/408520=8837-Sea Magic 2009 Raftup.JPG

Cheers,
Randy
2003 305SB, "Sea Magic"
Middle River, MD

3055 Swimplatform Extensions 24 Jan 2010 23:56 #25

• dolphin1
Here,s a pic of my 2655 with a swim-platform.com add-on.I installed it myself in about 3 hrs.

Attached files [img]/media/kunena/attachments/vb/409794=8866-pics 038.jpg [img]/media/kunena/attachments/vb/409794=8865-pics 039.jpg

Tom
2655 Little River,SC
2150 Jupiter, FL
  • Page:
Moderators: JeffwAlaskanmutt
Time to create page: 0.157 seconds