Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: deposit down, countdown to buy 2016 Element 16 has started!

deposit down, countdown to buy 2016 Element 16 has started! 16 Jun 2017 12:59 #1

• Bob H.
  • Bob H.'s Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0
Hello Everyone!
New member here, but I have been reading, lurking here and other sites (THT even!) to get as much info as we can on this model before we buy. It was a dealer trade-in for a larger boat. Engine has 44hrs (60hp BigFoot) and although it has some dock rash and a couple of small gelcoat chips, the overall condition is very good!
Now, I've read and researched all the issues/reviews/comments/rants-n-raves so we don't have to rehash any of that. Here's what I'd like to know;
Overall, has this boat lived up to your expectations?
We live on a older Chris Craft (1987 381) and want to have a small boat that our children and grandchildren can use to run to the beach, run a water toy around on calm days and for everyone to use for river runs and harbor neighbor visits.
Thanks in advance for your honest input!
Dealer is detailing the boat as part of the sale, completing all inspections, warrenty work before we sea trial next week. If this model doesn't live up to Bayliner's claims; I'd like to know before then.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

deposit down, countdown to buy 2016 Element 16 has started! 16 Jun 2017 13:14 #2

• oakplank
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • 2014 Element owner
  • Thank you received: 89
Mine also has the 60 Bigfoot and 40 hours. It's a 2014.
I have it tied up to our dock ready whenever I want to take a ride around the lake with my wife or friends. It serves my purpose and that's what any boat should do. If it fits your needs, great. If it doesn't fit your needs, it's the wrong boat for you. As far as issues, other than loosing a cushion bringing it home for the first time and water in the sponsons. I love the boat. A new free cushion was sent to my house by UPS and the extra plugs were installed free of charge. So I'm happy with the service I'm getting from Bayliner and the boat's performance.
take care, on and off the water
Oakplank
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bob H.

Parry Sound, Ontario Canada
2014 Bayliner Element with Mercury 60 HP EFI Big Foot OB
12 foot aluminum fishing boat with 5 HP Mercury OB

deposit down, countdown to buy 2016 Element 16 has started! 16 Jun 2017 15:02 #3

• Bob H.
Great input oakplank!
For the money I couldn't find anything new or used that has this boats function. I'm not dealing with rubber boats or leaky stern drives; just want a simple fun boat for the family that doesn't take all my time to maintain. Just pull the cover and go!
One question; did you bottom paint or barrier coat the bottom?

deposit down, countdown to buy 2016 Element 16 has started! 16 Jun 2017 19:47 #4

• oakplank
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • 2014 Element owner
  • Thank you received: 89

Bob H. wrote: Great input oakplank!
For the money I couldn't find anything new or used that has this boats function. I'm not dealing with rubber boats or leaky stern drives; just want a simple fun boat for the family that doesn't take all my time to maintain. Just pull the cover and go!
One question; did you bottom paint or barrier coat the bottom?

No bottom paint. However, I do wash/wax it when the season is over prior to putting it in storage.

Parry Sound, Ontario Canada
2014 Bayliner Element with Mercury 60 HP EFI Big Foot OB
12 foot aluminum fishing boat with 5 HP Mercury OB

deposit down, countdown to buy 2016 Element 16 has started! 16 Jun 2017 23:25 #5

• Professor
  • Thank you received: 1
2014 16' Element 60HP Bigfoot for 14 months, also purchased used. Currently @ 250 hours. Love it. No problems, no failures, so far. The closer you get to maxing out the weight limit the lower the performance. Duh, but 800 pounds is not that many big boys. Get the Smart Tabs SX60, Walmart online $99. Get a couple of 5 gallon gas cans with valves to refuel. Average 2 gallons/hour. Very stable boat with people moving from side to side or even jumping off the sides or swim platform. Tune the left/right (steering) trim tab on the motor above the prop to your preference, mine is two notches to the right for best steering at 20 mph.

deposit down, countdown to buy 2016 Element 16 has started! 17 Jun 2017 00:16 #6

• Bob H.
I'll order those Smart Tabs right away, extra gas cans too. Thanks! Mostly we will be 3 adults and two small children so I think we can stay under that 800#'s. Good advice on tab tuning too. I knew you guys would get me the info I need. Much Appreciated!

deposit down, countdown to buy 2016 Element 16 has started! 17 Jun 2017 16:38 #7

• fishbayers
  • Thank you received: 10
Sounds like you did your homework and know the common issues with this boat. Therefore, since it sounds like this boat has likely already spent time left on the water, you must find out if there is water in the sponsons. If there is ANY water, I would walk away. Also do a sea trial as some owners with water retention issues show lower performance due to the added weight.

deposit down, countdown to buy 2016 Element 16 has started! 18 Jun 2017 23:11 #8

• Bob H.

fishbayers wrote: Sounds like you did your homework and know the common issues with this boat. Therefore, since it sounds like this boat has likely already spent time left on the water, you must find out if there is water in the sponsons. If there is ANY water, I would walk away. Also do a sea trial as some owners with water retention issues show lower performance due to the added weight.

Sounds like good advice! The dealer we are purchasing this from is not an authorized Bayliner dealer, but they are inquiring into Bayliner on how to proceed if they find water while installing the Smart Tabs. Their service tech noted that the only reason this problem is an issue is because the water cannot get to the bilge area. He claims even high end models are never water tight! We will know for sure next week.......

deposit down, countdown to buy 2016 Element 16 has started! 19 Jun 2017 09:59 #9

• Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 32

oakplank wrote: Mine also has the 60 Bigfoot and 40 hours. It's a 2014.
Oakplank

40 hours since 2014?!?!?!? :ohmy:

Holy short Canadian season, Batman! Since April 1 of 2017 I have put 30 hours on the Element and another 25 hours on our 24 foot dual console. And the boats are at our summer cottage, 108 miles away.......

• Page:
Moderators: Download_Completehiggins_jr
Time to create page: 0.148 seconds