Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: VR6 Factory Tower

VR6 Factory Tower 30 Mar 2017 19:16 #1

• sierra112
  • sierra112's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0
Wondering if anyone has decided to go with an aftermarket tower instead of opting for the factory one. I'm ordering a '17 VR6 and want a tower, but I really don't like the looks of the factory one. I'm thinking about installing a Monster MTK instead. I'll need to reinforce the fiberglass at anchor points and probably add a couple access panels. I'd love to have some feedback (positive or negative) from anyone that has done this or is thinking about it. Pics would be greatly appreciated also! Thanks!

This is an MTK Tower on a VR5

MTK Tower Closeup

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

VR6 Factory Tower 30 Mar 2017 19:24 #2

• Download_Complete
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 544
I feel the VR tower is superior to the tower you posted. I have driven a VR with the tower and it's strong enough to do chin ups on with no creaking, shaking, or any movement of any kind.

Bayliner uses the VR series tower in the US, but uses the pictured tower on the VR boats over in the EU. No idea why.

In short, I would stick with stock.

Matt Train
BOC Admin
Chicagoland, IL

VR6 Factory Tower 30 Mar 2017 20:07 #3

• sierra112
I have heard that also. Do you know if the factory tower color is an option? I didn't see that as on option on the website, but I have seen pictures of the tower in both polished, and with a protective coating (black). I do like the one piece base compared to the other designs,it's just the appeal of the tower itself (and the $800 price difference). Stock is always a safer bet...thanks

VR6 Factory Tower 30 Mar 2017 20:41 #4

• Download_Complete
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
I believe it is one-color, and I am sure it's that way due to cost.

That said, there's no reason why you cannot "modify" the tower later on with a trusted vendor. I am sure the upper part of the bar can be removed/swapped out for a color bar at your cost.
The following user(s) said Thank You: sierra112

Matt Train
BOC Admin
Chicagoland, IL

VR6 Factory Tower 31 Mar 2017 03:09 #5

• sierra112
Here is one that must of been modified then. Too bad it's not an option. Thanks for the advice.

This message has an attachment image.

VR6 Factory Tower 31 Mar 2017 07:05 #6

• Steve Wallace
  • Thank you received: 2
I installed a Monster Tower MTK on my 2010 Bayliner 17.5 last year and love it. Bought the Kicker speakers, two racks and bimini top also. I put mine on the top of the rails for added head clearance. I'm 6'2'' and can walk under my tower without hitting my head. When I tried to install like Bayliner's photo's of Flight Series boats with the MTK tower, I was hitting my forehead. I can do pull-ups, my son climbs and sits on top of the tower and it's quite when wake boarding. You just have to install it correctly.

As for buying stock vs aftermarket, Monster was the supplied for Bayliner for their Flight series boats, and I thought I read Monster and Bayliner designed the VR6 tower. As far as color, powder coating is durable but will chip if hit with sharp edges like wake boards, skies, etc.

I say buy what you think looks good. We looked on line and just liked the way the MTK looks. As far as installation goes, Bayliner most likely already reinforced the areas if you go with the new designed tower. My boat had reinforcement for a tower model that I didn't like the looks of.

Heading off for a little R&R so no pictures for a couple of weeks. Good luck.

VR6 Factory Tower 31 Mar 2017 13:38 #7

• Download_Complete
  • Administrator
  • Administrator

sierra112 wrote: Here is one that must of been modified then. Too bad it's not an option. Thanks for the advice.

Not so fast.

That appears to be a new boat. Where did you get that picture?

It's possible that's the tower design for 2017, and I have seen that black tower on Heydays too, so it could be a running change.

Matt Train
BOC Admin
Chicagoland, IL
Last Edit: by Download_Complete.

VR6 Factory Tower 31 Mar 2017 15:06 #8

• RobMick
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 113
A bit off topic....I know that many "need" that tower for watersports they enjoy, but the "purist" in me looks at that pic and says "man is that hideous looking". Also not a fan of the "missing side or wrap around windshield either...but I know that's what is being made and selling in today's marketplace.....love the older styling of the boats...especially these smaller bowriders

Nice new boat though...

Hell, Michigan (yes we really live in a city named "Hell" in Michigan)
2012 BR 185 - 3.0 TKS
1999 Chaparral 233 Sunesta Ltd., 5.0 Volvo
1985 Harris Flotebote Classic 240
1993 Yamaha Waverunner III VXR
1993 Yamaha Waverunner III
1995 Yamaha Waverunner III GP
1995 Yamaha Waverunner III VXR PRO

VR6 Factory Tower 31 Mar 2017 15:06 #9

• Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 41
I did the same analysis with the "sports arch" on my new E18. I could have saved some coin by going aftermarket, but decided to have it all done at the factory, during assembly, all covered by the same warranty, etc. Very happy with my choice; the boat came all ready to go, no time wasted ordering and installing, or taking to a shop, etc.

VR6 Factory Tower 31 Mar 2017 15:08 #10

• Waterdowg
  • Away
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 62

Download_Complete wrote:

sierra112 wrote: Here is one that must of been modified then. Too bad it's not an option. Thanks for the advice.

Not so fast.

It's possible that's the tower design for 2017, and I have seen that black tower on Heydays too, so it could be a running change.

They have that tower on the 2016 215DB. It can be seen here www.baylinerownersclub.org/index.php/for...ts/74113-my-new-ride

2016 Bayliner 215 Deck Boat
Mercruiser 4.3 220 HP Alpha 1 Gen II

2003 SeaRay 176 SRX Bowrider
Mercruiser 3.0 135 HP Alpha 1 Gen II

1988 Sunbird 170 Bowrider
Evinrude 88 Special

1970 Salem Skiff 13.5 foot
1992 Johnson 40HP.

VR6 Factory Tower 31 Mar 2017 15:23 #11

• Download_Complete
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
I need to clarify -

ON the Deckboat thread, the "upper" part of the arch is anodized (silver). On that VR6, the arch is all black. That's changed from last year, and if that black VR is something that is sitting at a dealer as a 2017, then it tells me that there was a running change to the tower (I think Monster is the vendor) from silver to black. And I have seen a Heyday inboard with the all-black wakeboard tower.

I know for a fact they would not have two SKUs for colors - they will produce that tower only in one way and only in one color, so that tells me the wakeboard towers are all black for 2017. I don't think that black VR was modified.

Matt Train
BOC Admin
Chicagoland, IL
Last Edit: by Download_Complete.

VR6 Factory Tower 31 Mar 2017 17:46 #12

• Waterdowg
  • Away
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 62
Matt,
Thanks for the clarification. Bayliner should do a better job of using current pictures on the Website. There are the same pictures on there from 2015. Although the basics have not changed but the smaller thing have. So people see one thing and get another.

2016 Bayliner 215 Deck Boat
Mercruiser 4.3 220 HP Alpha 1 Gen II

2003 SeaRay 176 SRX Bowrider
Mercruiser 3.0 135 HP Alpha 1 Gen II

1988 Sunbird 170 Bowrider
Evinrude 88 Special

1970 Salem Skiff 13.5 foot
1992 Johnson 40HP.

VR6 Factory Tower 31 Mar 2017 19:56 #13

• Download_Complete
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
That;s been that way since the advent of Photoshop. GEtting photo shoots are time, resource, and money-intensive.

Matt Train
BOC Admin
Chicagoland, IL

VR6 Factory Tower 31 Mar 2017 22:12 #14

• RobMick
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
Photo Shoot? Hell pay me $100 and I'll walk out to the dock and snap away on my iPhone 7....I am sure that Brunswick has some sort of department that could handle at least taking current pics....print department/advertising, whatever. Maybe in the 80's cost big money to do a "photo shoot" not today with all the Tech that's available...I call BS......lazy, poor media/customer relations/advertising depts. all should be held responsible for the lack of professionalism....definitely would make me question spend boat bucks with them in a new boat if they can't even get the current model up on the website....the website....not print media...c'mon Bayliner...I'd be intersted to know if Sea Ray has "current" photos on their website....

2012 BR 185 - 3.0 TKS

VR6 Factory Tower 31 Mar 2017 22:44 #15

• Ruffryder
  • Thank you received: 1383
Looks like $$$$$$ to me...

Joon, Kathy, Jaden & Tristan
93 3058
92 2855
91 Fourwinns 205
Longbranch WA
Life is Good
Last Edit: by Ruffryder.

VR6 Factory Tower 31 Mar 2017 23:49 #16

• RobMick
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
That's what I sort of figured....Sea Ray ....... done right...but you pay for it too.....

2012 BR 185 - 3.0 TKS

VR6 Factory Tower 01 Apr 2017 01:42 #17

• wbm1000
They are not all black- here is my 190 db with the factory tower.

This message has an attachment image.

VR6 Factory Tower 02 Apr 2017 16:43 #18

• sierra112
That pic was from doing a google image search... "2017 Bayliner VR6 tower". I believe that pic was from a dealer advertising a '17 VR6. Here is another: www.tomstoys.net/vehicle-details/2017-ba...inton-oh-id-12698394

VR6 Factory Tower 03 Apr 2017 01:16 #19

• sierra112

Waterdowg wrote:

Download_Complete wrote:

Not so fast.

They have that tower on the 2016 215DB. It can be seen here www.baylinerownersclub.org/index.php/for...ts/74113-my-new-ride

Definitely a change for 2017. I have the 2017 VR6 on order now along with the Monster MTK tower. They are a Monster dealer anyway, so they will be installing the tower upon arrival. Your tower is also a Monster tower designed specifically for certain Bayliner models. The odd thing is in the UK the standard tower install IS the Monster MTK, but in the US, it's your tower?!

Very nice ride!
The cup holder mount is also a nice touch...will be getting one of those for my iPAD (navigation).

VR6 Factory Tower 11 Apr 2017 16:17 #20

• Hawk
  • Away
  • Thank you received: 9
I have the MTK Tower and Bimini on my UK VR6, it was supplied factory fitted, however my UK dealer informs me that although they were originally standard fitment, all future UK/Euro boats will now be standard Bayliner specified towers as supplied to the US.
As a note of routine maintenance, the mounting base components especially the Heim Joints need to be well protected from salt water as they are prone to corrode very quickly.

Current Boat: 2016 Bayliner VR6 4.5L 250
Previous Boat: 2015 Bayliner 175 3.0L TKS 135

VR6 Factory Tower 12 Apr 2017 12:04 #21

• sierra112

Hawk wrote: I have the MTK Tower and Bimini on my UK VR6, it was supplied factory fitted, however my UK dealer informs me that although they were originally standard fitment, all future UK/Euro boats will now be standard Bayliner specified towers as supplied to the US.
As a note of routine maintenance, the mounting base components especially the Heim Joints need to be well protected from salt water as they are prone to corrode very quickly.

I'm currently waiting for delivery on my 2017 VR6. The dealer will be outfitting it with the MTK Tower (same boat/tower color combo as yours).
Interesting... I wonder why they switched over to the US version. It's likely the mounting base exposure to salt that you mentioned. I just really liked the MTK design. Ideally, Bayliner should of worked with Monster to build an MTK design with the current factory durable plastic base.

As far as salt exposure goes, my boat will be 90+% salt water run, so that is a big concern. My plan is to lube all bases with Bombardier or Tri-Flow before and after each launch.

VR6 Factory Tower 12 Apr 2017 20:35 #22

• Hawk
  • Away

sierra112 wrote:

Hawk wrote: I have the MTK Tower and Bimini on my UK VR6, it was supplied factory fitted, however my UK dealer informs me that although they were originally standard fitment, all future UK/Euro boats will now be standard Bayliner specified towers as supplied to the US.

I'm currently waiting for delivery on my 2017 VR6. The dealer will be outfitting it with the MTK Tower (same boat/tower color combo as yours).
Interesting... I wonder why they switched over to the US version. It's likely the mounting base exposure to salt that you mentioned. I just really liked the MTK design. Ideally, Bayliner should of worked with Monster to build an MTK design with the current factory durable plastic base.

As far as salt exposure goes, my boat will be 90+% salt water run, so that is a big concern. My plan is to lube all bases with Bombardier or Tri-Flow before and after each launch.

I doubt it was the corrosion that was the reason to switch, my dealer is sure that Bayliner only fitted a few of the MTK until the version they specified was fully available, so only a limited number produced with the MTK, in fact it was the only one they took delivery off, so I was lucky to get it.
As for the MTK as a tower, IMHO it is one of the nicest looking towers available, mine also has the anchor light fitted and switched from the dash, it is very well constructed and sturdy, the finish is excellent and it is not showing any signs of corrosion to the main frame, or the mounting bases, or the chrome Bimini framework and fixings, the only problem is with the Heim swivel joints and the nut/bolt fixings, my original ones (un protected for only 3 months)corroded with rust so bad they had to be replaced, I now keep them coated with a light film of grease and they seem to be ok.
While on the subject of corrosion have a look at my post on the rear engine compartment vents.

Last Edit: by Hawk.

VR6 Factory Tower 13 Apr 2017 19:47 #23

• sierra112
www.baylinerownersclub.org/index.php/for...bad-corrosion#782874

What a mess... Thanks for the heads-up. I will give those grills some extra attention on wash down. I'm sure they will be the same grills on the 2017 too.

VR6 Factory Tower 15 Apr 2017 07:14 #24

• Hawk
  • Away

sierra112 wrote: www.baylinerownersclub.org/index.php/for...bad-corrosion#782874

What a mess... Thanks for the heads-up. I will give those grills some extra attention on wash down. I'm sure they will be the same grills on the 2017 too.

Yes when I first noticed them it was a bit of a shock! But they have been changed now and I keep them protected with anti corrosion spray, and wipe them over with fresh water after each trip out.

You will love your VR6, we got ours mid last year, so this is our first full season, still learning her many good and very few not so good points, if there are any questions that you have when you take delivery I will try and reply to your post, or send me a PM if you prefer,.

VR6 Factory Tower 24 Jun 2017 13:34 #25

• sierra112
Update... took delivery on our new VR6 a couple weeks ago. Here is a pic with the Monster MTK tower. Very happy with the tower choice...solid tower with zero play!

This message has attachments images.

• Page:
Moderators: Download_Completehiggins_jr
Time to create page: 0.144 seconds