Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:
  • 1

TOPIC: New E18 delivered; a few Q's

New E18 delivered; a few Q's 30 Mar 2017 15:13 #1

  • 6104696
  • 6104696's Avatar Topic Author
  • Offline
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Posts: 296
  • Thank you received: 41
Hey all. Finally took delivery of the new E18. Got the 115....had the dealer add a tach and a trim gauge (see photos). The Lowrance fish finder is "factory." I decided NOT to have them add the sponson drains unless and until I note a problem. All seems good, but I have a few Q's for others who also have an E18 or Element XL.

1) Battery Switch: The Delivery tech told me (but we didn't eyeball it) that there was a battery switch in the battery compartment. The owners manual supplement, page 26, says that there is a battery switch. My boat does not have a battery switch. The red wire that is hooked to the battery says "battery switch load side"....but it is connected directly to the battery. Do any of you have a battery switch? Did somebody in Mexico or perhaps the dealer when they ran the new harness for the tach make a mistake? I did not order the stereo option, if that matters.

2) The boat came propped from the factory with a 17" pitch prop. As you can see form the last photo, the diameter of the prop hub is slightly less than the diameter of the bullet. Normal?

3) There is a black wire that is disconnected from the battery that days "Auto bilge pump." The bilge pump works fine on the switch; I have not filled the bilge to test it. I assume that this was a tech error and I need to hook it up to the battery?

4) Power trim/tilt; there is not limit switch on the power trim/tilt except at the fully tilted "up" and out of the water position; I guess that's normal but I am used to my I/O's having a "trim limit" in addition to the tilt, and my Yamaha audibly switches from a low speed trim motor to a high speed tilt motor once the trim level is exceeded.

5) I got the auxiliary fuel tank, but can't figure out which position on the crossover switch for which tank. I assume the big tank is tank #1, and the smaller tank is tank #2?

That seems be all for now; overall, pretty happy. It has been 10 years since buying a new bayliner; a couple of items I noted:

Overall, fit and finish seems to have improved somewhat, but there are still a LOT of divots or undulations in the mold. The galvanizedKaravan trailer seems a little more robust that my previous Karavan trailer; the folding mechanism on the tongue seems beefier, and the axle is now galvanized instead of some sort of coated steel......






This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

New E18 delivered; a few Q's 30 Mar 2017 19:05 #2

  • Pegasus_01
  • Pegasus_01's Avatar
  • Offline
  • New Member
  • New Member
  • Posts: 60
  • Thank you received: 16
Hi 6104696,

I can't answer all your questions as I have the European (Poland) manufactured 2016 Element XL but regarding your first question, you must have a battery switch. On both the US and EU the switch is located normally right at the back of the aft starboard storage bin, on the partition with the battery hold. Have a look but I think this is mandatory, even in the US.
I actually decided to reposition my switch because it was such a pain to always have to lift the seat, move all the stuff around in the storage and then bend in all sorts of ways to access the switch. So I moved it to below the captain's seat.



Much easier access.

Can't help you on the prop front as I have the Pro XS 115 and we installed a 20'' stainless Enertia.

Regarding the disconnected bilge pump wire, it is probably the automatic function (versus the manual operation with the helm switch). I would take a hose and fill the bilge with the switch off to see if it turns on automatically when the water level is high enough. If it doesn't, reconnect the wire and check.

Outboards of this size don't have built in trim limiters like IO drives. You trim motor operation is normal.

Enjoy!

Nick

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

2016 Bayliner Element XL with Mercury 115 four stroke Pro XS
Geneva, Switzerland

New E18 delivered; a few Q's 30 Mar 2017 23:24 #3

  • 6104696
  • 6104696's Avatar Topic Author
  • Offline
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Posts: 296
  • Thank you received: 41
Thanks Nick. Definitely no battery switch in this boat.

Another anomaly that I just noticed today. There is no fuel bulb in the fuel line. Manual says there should be one...but it's not there. Again, this a a 2017 E18 with the 115 and auxiliary tank.....

I would like to go to the dealer and compare with other E18's....but they are far away......what about other owners of US E18's? Battery switch? Fuel bulb? other items questioned in my original post?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last Edit: by 6104696.

New E18 delivered; a few Q's 31 Mar 2017 00:22 #4

  • Jpray72
  • Jpray72's Avatar
  • Offline
  • New Member
  • New Member
  • Posts: 16
  • Thank you received: 4

6104696 wrote: Hey all. Finally took delivery of the new E18. Got the 115....had the dealer add a tach and a trim gauge (see photos). The Lowrance fish finder is "factory." I decided NOT to have them add the sponson drains unless and until I note a problem. All seems good, but I have a few Q's for others who also have an E18 or Element XL.

1) Battery Switch: The Delivery tech told me (but we didn't eyeball it) that there was a battery switch in the battery compartment. The owners manual supplement, page 26, says that there is a battery switch. My boat does not have a battery switch. The red wire that is hooked to the battery says "battery switch load side"....but it is connected directly to the battery. Do any of you have a battery switch? Did somebody in Mexico or perhaps the dealer when they ran the new harness for the tach make a mistake? I did not order the stereo option, if that matters.

2) The boat came propped from the factory with a 17" pitch prop. As you can see form the last photo, the diameter of the prop hub is slightly less than the diameter of the bullet. Normal?

3) There is a black wire that is disconnected from the battery that days "Auto bilge pump." The bilge pump works fine on the switch; I have not filled the bilge to test it. I assume that this was a tech error and I need to hook it up to the battery?

4) Power trim/tilt; there is not limit switch on the power trim/tilt except at the fully tilted "up" and out of the water position; I guess that's normal but I am used to my I/O's having a "trim limit" in addition to the tilt, and my Yamaha audibly switches from a low speed trim motor to a high speed tilt motor once the trim level is exceeded.

5) I got the auxiliary fuel tank, but can't figure out which position on the crossover switch for which tank. I assume the big tank is tank #1, and the smaller tank is tank #2?

That seems be all for now; overall, pretty happy. It has been 10 years since buying a new bayliner; a couple of items I noted:

Overall, fit and finish seems to have improved somewhat, but there are still a LOT of divots or undulations in the mold. The galvanizedKaravan trailer seems a little more robust that my previous Karavan trailer; the folding mechanism on the tongue seems beefier, and the axle is now galvanized instead of some sort of coated steel......






My XL battery switch is in the Battery compartment open the door and it is in the upper left corner. It is a red key that you can turn and remove.

The tilt trim I believe will only use trim setting through a few degrees. Then it will tilt all the way up in no wake speed or when off.

There are no fuel bulbs on these it is a fuel injected fuel demand valve. You here the fuel pump start when you turn the key to the run position when the doat beeps. When it starts pumping start the boat.

The fuel switch is not intuitive you have to figure out which setting goes to which tank. Mine weren't even labeled

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

New E18 delivered; a few Q's 31 Mar 2017 00:29 #5

  • Jpray72
  • Jpray72's Avatar
  • Offline
  • New Member
  • New Member
  • Posts: 16
  • Thank you received: 4
Here is a picture of my fuel switch. Hope it helps. www.baylinerownersclub.org/media/kunena/...mage_2016-06-19.jpeg

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

New E18 delivered; a few Q's 01 Apr 2017 00:23 #6

  • 6104696
  • 6104696's Avatar Topic Author
  • Offline
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Posts: 296
  • Thank you received: 41

Jpray72 wrote: Here is a picture of my fuel switch. Hope it helps. www.baylinerownersclub.org/media/kunena/...mage_2016-06-19.jpeg


Thanks JPray. Attached is a photo of the valve arrangement. The downward connection is connected to the main supply line. The right connection goes to the auxiliary tank, and the left connection goes to the primary (12 gallon) tank. Can someone explain to me how this valve should be oriented to access each tank? Thanks.

Also, attached is a photo of my battery compartment. No battery switch. Can someone post a picture of their battery compartment, showing the switch setup?

Thanks.



This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

New E18 delivered; a few Q's 01 Apr 2017 02:42 #7

  • ChopperXL
  • ChopperXL's Avatar
  • Offline
  • New Member
  • New Member
  • Posts: 9
  • Thank you received: 2
Gas tank-- right now you are using the smaller 6-gallon tank. a quarter-turn clockwise will switch to the larger 12-gallon tank. Notice the "1" and "2" carved into the wood around the switch? those are your indicators. The small part of the switch is the arrow while the longer part is the handle.

As for the battery switch, you look like you are missing yours or they relocated it from mine-- I have a 2016 XL model.


This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

New E18 delivered; a few Q's 01 Apr 2017 09:27 #8

  • 6104696
  • 6104696's Avatar Topic Author
  • Offline
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Posts: 296
  • Thank you received: 41
Thanks Chopper. I am trying to find out from the dealer and from Bayliner if the switch was an assembly line mistake or if they have done away with it. There is a 4mA draw on the engine supply line, so the switch seems like it would be helpful for long term storage......

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

New E18 delivered; a few Q's 03 Apr 2017 17:17 #9

  • 6104696
  • 6104696's Avatar Topic Author
  • Offline
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Posts: 296
  • Thank you received: 41

6104696 wrote: Thanks Chopper. I am trying to find out from the dealer and from Bayliner if the switch was an assembly line mistake or if they have done away with it. There is a 4mA draw on the engine supply line, so the switch seems like it would be helpful for long term storage......


So it appears that the battery switch is only provided if you order the stereo or dual batteries or if it is a CE boat. I thought $500 was steep for a stereo; had I known that it was stereo, battery switch, storage cubby, and maybe 12V plug, then I would have ordered it. live and learn.

Can you do me one more huge favor? Can you post a pic of the backside of your switch, showing the connections, and a picture showing your positive battery terminal connections? In view of the 4mA draw and that the hole is already there for the switch, I am gonna add one........but I want to do it just like the factory, if possible.

Thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

New E18 delivered; a few Q's 04 Apr 2017 12:34 #10

  • pepperjack
  • pepperjack's Avatar
  • Offline
  • New Member
  • New Member
  • Posts: 52
  • Thank you received: 2
I'm in the same "boat" as you 6104696. We just got our e16 without any accessories (for the same reasons) and our battery was direct wired with an in-line fuse holder. Nowhere was this mentioned as being part of the stereo option. Also our chrome logo on the back was missing and the sticky back part was all that was there.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

2017 Element e16 - 75hp Mercury

New E18 delivered; a few Q's 05 Apr 2017 00:16 #11

  • 6104696
  • 6104696's Avatar Topic Author
  • Offline
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Posts: 296
  • Thank you received: 41
P-Jack: No chrome logo on mine.....just decals, as shown.

Hopefully someone will post some wiring photos of the battery switch connections.....I want to add one. The hole is already there.....

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

New E18 delivered; a few Q's 05 Apr 2017 12:17 #12

  • pepperjack
  • pepperjack's Avatar
  • Offline
  • New Member
  • New Member
  • Posts: 52
  • Thank you received: 2
Interesting. So to date I have seen a few like ours, ones with the raised chrome letters and some without anything at all like some of the marketing photos.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

2017 Element e16 - 75hp Mercury

New E18 delivered; a few Q's 05 Apr 2017 12:20 #13

  • pepperjack
  • pepperjack's Avatar
  • Offline
  • New Member
  • New Member
  • Posts: 52
  • Thank you received: 2
Our 75hp came with a 4 bladed black Mercury Spitefire prop. I was under the impression they came with 3 bladed ones.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

2017 Element e16 - 75hp Mercury

New E18 delivered; a few Q's 07 Apr 2017 00:59 #14

  • metz123
  • metz123's Avatar
  • Offline
  • New Member
  • New Member
  • Posts: 62
  • Thank you received: 11
No battery switch on mine either. I chose not to have the stereo. The auto bilge pump wire is only used if you have selected the auto bilge pump option. It changes the toggle on the dash from on/off to on/auto. Auto requires a float on the bilge pump and unlike every other auto bilge pump in existence, bayliner decided that auto bilge pump means it's only auto when the key is in the ignition, not wired up to run the bilge as needed (like, for example, if you want to leave your boat unattended on a dock and a storm comes in. )

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

New E18 delivered; a few Q's 07 Apr 2017 11:48 #15

  • 6104696
  • 6104696's Avatar Topic Author
  • Offline
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Posts: 296
  • Thank you received: 41

metz123 wrote: Auto requires a float on the bilge pump and unlike every other auto bilge pump in existence, bayliner decided that auto bilge pump means it's only auto when the key is in the ignition, not wired up to run the bilge as needed (like, for example, if you want to leave your boat unattended on a dock and a storm comes in. )


I did order, and pay for, the auto bilge pump option. There is no visible float....I assumed it was internal. However, if it is set up as up as you say above, then it is not an automatic bilge pump at all and I will want my money back! But first they need to get the thing working in the first place.....stay tuned.

Still hoping someone will post photos of their battery switch connections.... :whistle:

EDIT: Since I had to go to the dealer to get the bilge pump fixed (not working at all), I took some photos of the back and front of the battery switch on a e18 with a radio. the thick black wire going to the seemingly negative battery terminal goes to the battery switch, and the yellow wire would seem to be for the bilge pump. maybe.




This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last Edit: by 6104696.

New E18 delivered; a few Q's 07 Apr 2017 20:45 #16

  • Jeffw
  • Jeffw's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Moderator
  • Moderator
  • Arizona Coast
  • Posts: 5646
  • Thank you received: 431
Yellow is ground/negative on a boat. Yeah, makes no sense to me either...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Jeff & Tara
(And Ginger too)
Lake Havasu City, AZ
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
2000 Bayliner 2858
"GETA WAY"
MMSI: 338094599
In memory of Shadow, the best boat dog ever. Rest in peace, girl. July 2, 2010

New E18 delivered; a few Q's 18 Apr 2017 18:57 #17

  • 6104696
  • 6104696's Avatar Topic Author
  • Offline
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Posts: 296
  • Thank you received: 41

metz123 wrote: No battery switch on mine either. I chose not to have the stereo. The auto bilge pump wire is only used if you have selected the auto bilge pump option. It changes the toggle on the dash from on/off to on/auto. Auto requires a float on the bilge pump and unlike every other auto bilge pump in existence, bayliner decided that auto bilge pump means it's only auto when the key is in the ignition, not wired up to run the bilge as needed (like, for example, if you want to leave your boat unattended on a dock and a storm comes in. )


As an update to this, I got my e18 back from the dealer. They added a battery switch, so now my wiring looks just like the other battery switched wiring. Also, they repaired the automatic bilge pump. Without any prompting from me, they wired it "properly" so that it is always in "automatic" mode, and will function even when the battery switch is off. Flipping the dashboard switch turns it to manual "on" mode, but only when the battery switch is "on."

I also went ahead and had them add sponson drains. The sponsons seemed dry inside and filled with foam. I will Teflon-tape the sponson drain plugs and check them periodically.

For those of you with battery switches, did you get a spare "key?" I have only one key which I tied to the inside of the battery compartment...but would like to get a spare. The switches/keys that I find online look similar....but slightly different.....

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

New E18 delivered; a few Q's 18 Apr 2017 23:51 #18

  • oakplank
  • oakplank's Avatar
  • Away
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • 2014 Element owner
  • Posts: 809
  • Thank you received: 89
Only one key with mine.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Parry Sound, Ontario Canada
2014 Bayliner Element with Mercury 60 HP EFI Big Foot OB
12 foot aluminum fishing boat with 5 HP Mercury OB
  • Page:
  • 1
Moderators: Download_Completehiggins_jr
Time to create page: 0.176 seconds
Powered by Kunena Forum