• Page:

TOPIC: 185 Maintenance and Modification Questions

185 Maintenance and Modification Questions 22 Feb 2017 21:57 #1

• maddog49
  • maddog49's Avatar Topic Author
  • Chicagoland IL
  • Thank you received: 1
Hi Guys,
Thanks for all your help. This forum is great. Last summer we picked up a mint 07 185 Sport with 3.0tks late in the summer and have already had it out about 30 times (200 hours total on boat with all two owners). Great family fun. I've already done a fair amount of proactive maintenance and need a few opinions on the remaining items. I'm a fairly anal prepared person and want our family to have a fun safe experience. Never owned a boat before but have been diving in and seeing how it all works. Also had cousins who are certified captains give us lessons in the basics.

Current questions:
Prop Selection: Currently running a stock 3 bladed prop (832832A45P21 Mercury). that hits 42mph on calm water at 4800 rpm with 5 people on board with gear. Would like to keep that as a spare prop onboard and get a 14x21RH Blade Quicksilver Nemisis propeller with Spare FLO-Torq II hub kit. I believe this should offer better low end performance, and planing performance while losing a few MPH on the top end. It also appears it would keep us in the 4400-4800rpm range, but it would be great to confirm with others.

Secondary Bilge Pump -I would like to add a secondary high capacity bilge pump for emergency use in the highly unlikely scenario we take a wake over the top of the bow or the primary fails (it's only a stock 500gph). I was looking at rule 2000gph pumps (or 3700 if necessary), but the switch type and automatic floats seem to have a variety of reviews. Any strong recommendations, or folks that have already done this? Also looking for suggestions on adding a second thru-hull fitting as it does not seem practical to tie it into the original pumps line.

Depth Finder
I'm also looking for a good depthfinder (fish finder is ok too, but depth finder is the primary need). I'd like to mount it to shoot through the hull if possible.

Finally, I've completed the below projects but want to make sure there is nothing else proactive I may have missed:

Projects Completed
New Dual Batteries, ACR charging system, segmented circuits into house/start/battery switch/ blue seas fuses/onboard battery charger
Replaced all bellows /gaskets/shift cable/gimble bearing/impeller/lube spots/gear oil/regular oil/both fuel filters/spark plugs/rotor cap/belt/checked charging system
Buffed and cleaned entire boat/trailer/added led trailer lights/used 303 on fabrics and fixed any cosmetic issues
Added VHF radio/antenna/fixed nav lights
Added hour meter
Added 2 more speakers (easy project and sounds 100x better, not sure why the $90 speakers were not stock)
Added First Aid Kit/paddle/whistle/plenty of life jackets/ropes etc
Replaced both trailer tires, and added a spare, serviced the bearings. Still, need to purchase spare Hub Kit for roadtrips.

Thanks for all the help guys, looking forward to your opinions.

*Mods if this belongs in a general forum/maintenance forum please move and I appologize*

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

2007 Bayliner 185 Sport 3,0 Merc TKS Alpha 1 gen 2.
Last Edit: by maddog49.

185 Maintenance and Modification Questions 22 Feb 2017 23:53 #2

• RobMick
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 123
I can't help with the bilge pump issue, but concerning the prop...

I have the same engine...switched from the OEM three blade to a Solas Amita four blade prop. For every additional blade you are supposed to deduct two degrees in pitch. That being said, I run now with a nineteen inch pitch, four blade aluminum prop as we are on inland lakes. I would also seriously consider adding the Smart Tabs. You are obviously not afraid of much, and the install was very easy. It is incredible what the four blade prop and the Smart Tabs do for this boat. Once on plane, I can trim the drive to get back to the original WOT mph speed with no problem. The boat just jumps on plane, handles like it is glued to the water in turns without the chine walk that I was accustomed to and had no bow wander at slow speeds....definitely check into these Smart Tabs..

Concerning the depth finder thru hull....I have a Faria gauge that matches my dash gauges...Kronos style...works well in my opinion, I use it primary to look for swimming areas and to see how deep for anchoring...

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Hell, Michigan (yes we really live in a city named "Hell" in Michigan)
2012 BR 185 - 3.0 TKS
1999 Chaparral 233 Sunesta Ltd., 5.0 Volvo
1985 Harris Flotebote Classic 240
1993 Yamaha Waverunner III VXR
1993 Yamaha Waverunner III
1995 Yamaha Waverunner III GP
1995 Yamaha Waverunner III VXR PRO

185 Maintenance and Modification Questions 25 Feb 2017 21:45 #3

• maddog49
  • Chicagoland IL
Thats Rob.

I'm definitely going to check out the smart tabs. They seem to be well reviewed here. What specific model are you using? Any particular DIY videos you would recommend? Also, what did you use to relocate your tie down straps?

Regarding the prop it sounds like a 14x21 or 14x19 will work well Lots of people seem to have gone with the 19 over the 21, so I think I'll stick with the 19. Did you have to relocate your little tab above the prop on the outdrive to fit the prop on?

I will check out the faria depthfinders. Glad to hear that it works ok through the hull. I don't care for the look of it hanging off the transom.

185 Maintenance and Modification Questions 26 Feb 2017 01:17 #4

• RobMick
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
Didn't relocate anything on the transom tie downs.....just ran a thru bolt and screw on the trailer itself.....now the tie down straps basically go at a 90 degree angle downward from the transom to the trailer....I don't trailer hardly at all, but this baby isn't going anywhere if I did...

I didn't recall what size tabs I have...you can either call Nauticus directly, or look further into the Forum. I would call though as they are very good at customer service and answering questions....

The trim anode, I did have to replace with an "offset" one....some have simply "ground" down the existing one to make room for the prop....I spent the $15 on a new offset one

This message has an attachment image.

2012 BR 185 - 3.0 TKS

185 Maintenance and Modification Questions 28 Feb 2017 18:29 #5

• maddog49
  • Chicagoland IL
Perfect. That helped a lot. I ordered a 14x19 spitfire prop, and a set of the 60lb Nauticus tabs. It's gonna be a whole new boat by the time we are done replacing stuff lol. Good stuff to do in the offseason I suppose. the transom tie down relocation also looks easy. We trailer all over the place so I want it setup well.

I'm trying to figure out a good way to mount a depth finder gauge. Unfortunately, I'm out of gauge space, and the overall cockpit surface area is limited in the 2007's. I'll have to get creative.

This image is hidden for guests.

For the bilge I think I'm just gonna get a 2000gph Rule, set it up so I can put it anywhere in the boat should it become necessary and stop worrying about it. Even in the sport config the bilge is pretty small on a 185. I'll post some pictures when I'm all done. I also am going to rig up a net for the ski locker, and storage on the sides. Seem like low $$ for high practicality items.

185 Maintenance and Modification Questions 28 Feb 2017 19:18 #6

• Download_Complete
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 553
I believe there is a Faria combination gauge that swaps out one of your gauges in those pods. You will need to look it up.

Matt Train
BOC Admin
Chicagoland, IL

185 Maintenance and Modification Questions 28 Feb 2017 19:56 #7

• maddog49
  • Chicagoland IL
Thanks Matt. I will definitely search that out, because that would be great! Good to see fellow chicagolanders here!

185 Maintenance and Modification Questions 11 Mar 2017 16:26 #8

• maddog49
  • Chicagoland IL
I ended up looking for a faria combo gauge but was not able to find one. I ended up with a Garmin Striker 4CV. For $180 it seems to offer a ton of features (gps/map/speed/depth/fishfinding/alarms/lat long location, etc) at a cost just slightly higher than the gauge itself. I'll post pics of that after its installed.

I also got the trim tabs installed. The transom was completely dry and it went smooth. Still nervewracking drilling into it. I could see how this could be done in a half hour if you did a lot of them, but I took 1-2 and triple checked everything as we went. The 4 dollar amazon syringes were great for the 3m 5200 and kept it from making any mess.

185 Maintenance and Modification Questions 11 Mar 2017 16:45 #9

• Ruffryder
  • Thank you received: 1418
gear lube changed?

Joon, Kathy, Jaden & Tristan
93 3058
92 2855
91 Fourwinns 205
Longbranch WA
Life is Good

185 Maintenance and Modification Questions 11 Mar 2017 23:28 #10

• maddog49
  • Chicagoland IL

Ruffryder wrote: gear lube changed?

Yep and thank you for asking! Seems super important to keep those outdrive internals fresh. Thankfully no evidence of water when it was changed.

Today I got the second bilge pump going, and did about 90% of the fishfinder install, until I broke a windshield mount and now have to wait for a replacement.

Pump

Battery

185 Maintenance and Modification Questions 18 Mar 2017 22:16 #11

• maddog49
  • Chicagoland IL
Got the GPS/fishfinder done, cargo nets and misc projects finished.

VHF up and mounted

GPS mounted up by near the windshield

Cargo nets by driver

New Rear Speakers

185 Maintenance and Modification Questions 19 Mar 2017 14:26 #12

• RobMick
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
Dog...looks good.
One mod that I did that I love is my "remote battery terminals" that I added under the stern seat. Now I don't have to pull seats apart to attach my inflator, or to hook up a battery tender or jumper box...

Lined my ski locker with antimicrobial liners and cut a pvc pipe to run on the bottom of the ski locker where water would travel from the bow to the stern. With the pvc pipe as a "bridge" nothing in the ski locker gets wet...

My problem is that during the winter here in HELL, I have nothing but time to think of stuff that I would to change/enhance...of which I am running out of which overall is a good thing

2012 BR 185 - 3.0 TKS

185 Maintenance and Modification Questions 18 Apr 2017 00:29 #13

• windman
  • Thank you received: 13
Wow that pic pipe is a great idea. Did you just cut the length need to fit and then seal it with some silicone or something else?

Bayliner 185 2014 4.3 TKS (190 HP) Sport seating,smart tabs#60, 4bl 14x19 Turning point. Ste-julie,Quebec,Canada
Water base lac Champlain VT

185 Maintenance and Modification Questions 18 Apr 2017 00:52 #14

• RobMick
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
Just cut to length and placed on bottom of hull. I did not seal it in any way as I cut the pvc pretty much to a tight fit in length. I also like the ability to be able to lift it up and check for water, which there never is any in my boat. I do remove it for winter storage and let everything air out

2012 BR 185 - 3.0 TKS

185 Maintenance and Modification Questions 18 Apr 2017 14:35 #15

• Mocoondo
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 9
Great assortment of mods. I used commercial grade rubber floor mat in the bottom of my bilge and it has been an excellent addition. www.rubberflooringinc.com/mats/kitchen/cushion-comfort.html It has holes in it for good drainage so it never has to come out. I've also found that because it is about an inch thick it has quieted the hull down considerably in choppy water.

One of the other mods I finally got around to doing is plumbing all the cupholder drains into the bilge with rubber tubing. For whatever reason Bayliner never completed this so I spent a couple hours with some rubber tubing and a few plastic tees and now all the cupholders drain into the bilge instead of onto the carpet.

Mocoondo
2002 Bayliner 195 Capri "Sport"
Mercruiser 5.0L V8 / Alpha I Gen II
MMSI: 338091755

185 Maintenance and Modification Questions 22 Apr 2017 18:34 #16

• maddog49
  • Chicagoland IL
Finished up with the rest of the mods. Changed Spark Plugs/Wires/Cap and rebuilt the carb (very easy to do surprisingly) and gave her a fresh tank of gas Now it runs great at 700rpm, and is perfectly smooth through the entire range, and starts smoothly (even when warm). The little 3.0 is really a nice motor when its running perfectly.

The trim tabs have been great (have not even tried new prop yet). Plane speed is about 16-18mph now, and comes up much faster (2-4 seconds maybe?) at moderate throttle. Overall speed is still around 43mph with gps. Ride quality is improved dramatically especially with passengers. Out in 2 foot waves a few days ago and the wife noticed the huge difference (ride may be a little wetter but totally worth it for the huge comfort increase).

Also have a video of the spare bilge pump draining a full bilge while the hose is running full tilt. It catches up to it and drains it faster than it can be filled so thats great.

• Page:
Moderators: Download_Completehiggins_jr
Time to create page: 0.129 seconds