Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: 2013 element, another with water where it shouldn't be

2013 element, another with water where it shouldn't be 06 Sep 2016 01:26 #51

• quik225
  • Thank you received: 0
New member here and this is my first post.
I am interested in purchasing a new Element 16, my local dealer has one in stock equiped the way I want (Green, 75hp). Doing a search for feedback before I buy, led me to BOC and the 2 threads about the water in the sponsons.
How hard can it be to find the water source? Compressed air can be blown into a sponson that has had a drain plug installed, then listen to where it comes out. If that fails, use a smoke generator to blow smoke into the sponson then watch where it escapes. With Bayliners resources, it should be simple to find a solution.
Buying a new boat that is not water tight is not what I want to do so my plans are on hold untill the water issue is solved.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

2013 element, another with water where it shouldn't be 06 Sep 2016 02:07 #52

• oakplank
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • 2014 Element owner
  • Thank you received: 90

quik225 wrote: New member here and this is my first post.
I am interested in purchasing a new Element 16, my local dealer has one in stock equiped the way I want (Green, 75hp). Doing a search for feedback before I buy, led me to BOC and the 2 threads about the water in the sponsons.
How hard can it be to find the water source? Compressed air can be blown into a sponson that has had a drain plug installed, then listen to where it comes out. If that fails, use a smoke generator to blow smoke into the sponson then watch where it escapes. With Bayliners resources, it should be simple to find a solution.
Buying a new boat that is not water tight is not what I want to do so my plans are on hold untill the water issue is solved.

The Element is a great boat in itself. However, the water in the sponsons can be a huge decision as to whether one should or should not purchase a new Element.
What I suggest is that you contact Brunswick/Bayliner directly and request two things.
1) the dealer must install the sponson drain plugs prior to delivery of your Element.
2) Brunswick must guarantee, in writing, that should water be found in the sponsons 90 days after delivery, you will have the option of receiving a full refund for your Element by your dealer.
If Bayliner wants your business and are confident that they have rectified the issue, they will agree to your request.
Good luck,
Oakplank

Parry Sound, Ontario Canada
2014 Bayliner Element with Mercury 60 HP EFI Big Foot OB
12 foot aluminum fishing boat
Last Edit: by oakplank.

2013 element, another with water where it shouldn't be 06 Sep 2016 16:16 #53

• Noxian
  • Noxian's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 5
The following user(s) said Thank You: Vic Stewart

Last Edit: by Noxian.

2013 element, another with water where it shouldn't be 06 Sep 2016 16:20 #54

• Download_Complete
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 549
Noxian: Where are you located and who is your dealer?

Matt Train
BOC Admin
Chicagoland, IL

2013 element, another with water where it shouldn't be 06 Sep 2016 16:38 #55

• Noxian
Winnipeg Manitoba Canada, Rond's Marine

2013 element, another with water where it shouldn't be 06 Sep 2016 18:26 #56

• Download_Complete
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 549
WHere do you stand with Bayliner and Rond's Marine?

I have a suspicion here that the issue is the dealer, not (to a full extent) Bayliner.

Matt Train
BOC Admin
Chicagoland, IL

2013 element, another with water where it shouldn't be 07 Sep 2016 18:31 #57

• TigerBoat
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 34

Noxian wrote: Yup now the tech thinks yes the extra water and possibly water damaged wood or fiberglass could be causing my planing problems , apparently bayliner is going to go so far as to remove the transom if they have to to fix the boat. I am not very happy about that,

Right now the dealer is removing everything including the motor and resealing everything and then water testing it.

Any updates? Removing the transom seems a bit extreme :huh:

2016 75hp Element 160 w/ Smart Tabs & Sponson Drains

2013 element, another with water where it shouldn't be 08 Sep 2016 15:47 #58

• Noxian
No updates yet, ill be calling them tomorrow if I dont hear anything, they were going to reseal everything and water test

2013 element, another with water where it shouldn't be 08 Sep 2016 16:02 #59

• koodebool
  • Thank you received: 1
Hello everybody. I am French and I have great difficulty reading information from your great forum.
Just to tell you that I have an element xl 2015 and I am in the same situation as you. Water in the hull discovered when installing my garmin .
The dealer is not aware of another problem. cordially.
The following user(s) said Thank You: TigerBoat

2013 element, another with water where it shouldn't be 08 Sep 2016 17:48 #60

• TigerBoat
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member

koodebool wrote: Hello everybody. I am French and I have great difficulty reading information from your great forum.
Just to tell you that I have an element xl 2015 and I am in the same situation as you. Water in the hull discovered when installing my garmin .
The dealer is not aware of another problem. cordially.

So this problem occurs in the Element XL's as well.

The plot thickens.

2013 element, another with water where it shouldn't be 09 Sep 2016 00:36 #61

• oakplank
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • 2014 Element owner
I believe that the problem is in the M design. If water gets in either of the sponsons, the water can't move to the bilge area and is therefore trapped. Hence, why you need the extra drain plugs.

This explains why the water can't get out. But, this doesn't explain why water is getting in there in the first place

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

2013 element, another with water where it shouldn't be 09 Sep 2016 14:03 #62

• Noxian
Yup that's exactly the problem, and because they are drilling through bare wood when they install those drain plugs the transom will probably start to rot very quickly.

I think bayliner has a bigger issue on their hands then they would like to admit.

I am seriously considering taking legal action to resolve the issues with my boat .
The following user(s) said Thank You: sncc3

2013 element, another with water where it shouldn't be 09 Sep 2016 17:38 #63

• Noxian
heard back from the dealer, they took the motor off , swim platforms etc resealed everything on the back of the boat. Water tested it for about a half hour,

They took it out of the water and still water came out of the drains, about half a cup. So they have contacted bayliner again to find out what to do.

2013 element, another with water where it shouldn't be 09 Sep 2016 18:10 #64

• TigerBoat
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member

Noxian wrote: Water tested it for about a half hour.

They took it out of the water and still water came out of the drains, about half a cup. So they have contacted bayliner again to find out what to do.

Do you know what the 30 minute water testing involved?

Last Edit: by TigerBoat.

2013 element, another with water where it shouldn't be 09 Sep 2016 21:52 #65

• oakplank
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • 2014 Element owner
Check to see if you find water in the anchor locker. It may be that water from the front will move to the back under the floor and will go left or right. Which would explain why water finds its way to these sponsons.

2013 element, another with water where it shouldn't be 10 Sep 2016 12:11 #66

• TigerBoat
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member

oakplank wrote: Check to see if you find water in the anchor locker. It may be that water from the front will move to the back under the floor and will go left or right. Which would explain why water finds its way to these sponsons.

I believe that the anchor locker as well the other gear compartments onboard the vessel have been designed to accept wet gear and direct that water to the bilge. Anchors, ropes, life jackets, etc are typically wet after use so it is expected that water will often end up in these storage compartments and need to be directed elsewhere.

The only compartment onboard that does not seem to drain freely to the bilge by design is the gas tank compartment. This particular compartment does however seem to collect a lot of water and attempt to hold it until it can be vacuumed out.

2013 element, another with water where it shouldn't be 11 Sep 2016 00:47 #67

• oakplank
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • 2014 Element owner
Does anyone have a drawing of the "below deck"architecture of the Element? Would love to see how they did the hull "compartments". Might help us (customers) understand how water is finding its way into the sponsons. Something they (Bayliner) have not looked into, or are not saying.

Last Edit: by oakplank. Reason: Spelling

2013 element, another with water where it shouldn't be 29 Sep 2016 22:12 #68

• TommyJodi
  • Thank you received: 31

Noxian wrote: heard back from the dealer, they took the motor off , swim platforms etc resealed everything on the back of the boat. Water tested it for about a half hour,

Any updates?

2015 Bayliner 160 Element 75 HP, Smart tabs, Tach, Lowrance Elite-5 HDI.

2013 element, another with water where it shouldn't be 06 Dec 2016 01:53 #69

• undieingbreed
  • Thank you received: 4
This is the second thread I'm responding to. I just bought a brand new 2016 element 160. And this thread is freaking me out. Never been in the water but I'm coming from an all fiberglass 95 seadoo speedster.

I just pulled every seat, compartment, even cup holders. And i think I'm found a reason why so few people see the issue... all the seats, anchor compartment, cup holders all go to the bilge. I reached in with my phone with its light on on video. I see no way the bilge sloshing can ever make it to the sponson. I see no way any water from above deck can make it to a sponson.

I do see entirely too much wood, I think if I saw this post beforehand I may have thought again o. The boat. Under cup holders, transom, behind battery, near captains console, and I actually think that the entire horizontal floor under all of the storage areas is laminated or just painted wood...

I come to the conclusion that any water in the sponson is from the hull line and is impossible to get out aside from drilling drains...

I hope I'm wrong.

Last Edit: by undieingbreed.

2013 element, another with water where it shouldn't be 06 Dec 2016 19:01 #70

• sncc3
  • Thank you received: 10
Just want to add I too have had water in sponsons after every outing.Unfortunately I paid to have drains installed when I should have insisted Bayliner foot the bill.
I really feel for the individuals out there that have purchased this boat (without sponson drains) and are not aware of this issue.

2014 Boston Whaler 130 Sport
2017 Bayliner Element 75hp (with may more into it than I should admit & the list is growing ;))

In beautiful central Florida.
Wife & I are always available weekends for exploring our beautiful water ways.
Shoot me a message if would like to plan a meet-up :)
Last Edit: by sncc3.

2013 element, another with water where it shouldn't be 06 Dec 2016 23:06 #71

• fishbayers
  • Thank you received: 11
What does an Element owner do if they leave their boat on the water? Sponson drains only help when you pull the boat onto the trailer and open the drains. For those that leave their boat on the water for any length of time, it does not sound like there is any known solution. I have not been able to determine from this forum whether it is known where the water enters, but Bayliner needs to address the root cause. My opinion is that drains should not be the solution.

2013 element, another with water where it shouldn't be 06 Dec 2016 23:22 #72

• oakplank
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • 2014 Element owner

fishbayers wrote: What does an Element owner do if they leave their boat on the water? Sponson drains only help when you pull the boat onto the trailer and open the drains. For those that leave their boat on the water for any length of time, it does not sound like there is any known solution. I have not been able to determine from this forum whether it is known where the water enters, but Bayliner needs to address the root cause. My opinion is that drains should not be the solution.

My Element is in the water from May to early October.
However, my plugs were installed mid-August. At that time, the marina told me they did not find any water when they drilled the holes in my sponsons. I, therefore, did not worry about leaving the boat in the water for the rest of the summer. Then, when I took my Element out of the water and prepared it for storage, I was surprised to find water coming out of the sponsons.
Not sure how I will deal with this next year. I might just pull it out once a month at the launch ramp, remove the plugs, let the water out, replace and re-launch.

Last Edit: by oakplank.

2013 element, another with water where it shouldn't be 07 Dec 2016 03:25 #73

• undieingbreed
Does anyone know what material is inside the sponson? Fiberglass or just bare wood? I am getting sponson drains installed this weekend. I will be trying to use an inspection camera to look in there as well. Just curious if anyone knows what is really in there as of yet? I emailed a Rep and was they are thinking bad caulking jobs....

2013 element, another with water where it shouldn't be 07 Dec 2016 15:26 #74

• undieingbreed
There has to be something going on to get water in there. I doubt it's a hull crack issue externally, I can't see anything with the rub rail causing it, it's simply too high from the water.

I haven't used my yet but for those that have... what about the plastic cap at the seem near the motor, does that ever get submerged or is it always splashed?

2013 element, another with water where it shouldn't be 07 Dec 2016 16:25 #75

• oakplank
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • 2014 Element owner

undieingbreed wrote: Does anyone know what material is inside the sponson? Fiberglass or just bare wood? I am getting sponson drains installed this weekend. I will be trying to use an inspection camera to look in there as well. Just curious if anyone knows what is really in there as of yet? I emailed a Rep and was they are thinking bad caulking jobs....

If they suspect it's bad caulking, why not re-caulk the effected area when installing the plugs.

Moderators: Download_Completehiggins_jr
Time to create page: 0.156 seconds