Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: 2013 element, another with water where it shouldn't be

2013 element, another with water where it shouldn't be 08 Jun 2017 01:04 #151

• oakplank
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • 2014 Element owner
  • Thank you received: 90

undieingbreed wrote: Well here's an update. My sponsons are dry.. I think because I caught it and covered the boat in time. It was pouring this past weekend, we had hoped to go on the boat so it was in the driveway uncovered.. rain stopped for a time, I dried it off, bilge pumed easily a few gallons out, covered and garaged it... Checked bilge today, had some water the bilge pump missed so I pulled the plug.....

With the help of a head light I saw a current.. yes a current at the bottom of the bilge... All hoses and pump were dry... Used my camera.... BOOM a hole at the very bottom port side UNDER the lip in the bilge. There is an odd lip so the hole is kind of hidden... Boat added cups of water that is brown, I assume from the wood.

That's the second hole I found in the bilge. First was near the top.

Have you poked the hole with a stiff wire to see where it leads to? I'm curious if it leads to the battery area. Any water from that compartment must go somewhere.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Parry Sound, Ontario Canada
2014 Bayliner Element with Mercury 60 HP EFI Big Foot OB
12 foot aluminum fishing boat

2013 element, another with water where it shouldn't be 08 Jun 2017 02:34 #152

• undieingbreed
  • Thank you received: 4
Oak, the hole is at the very bottom of the bilge area. Same level as the bottom of the bilge pump. I can probably put $$ that the hole leads to the lower sealed area where the stringers are located. It's well below the battery and on the other side. didn't bother poking or probing after I saw how much water came from the hole I knew it led below the sealed area.

Water that leaks through from the battery tray screws will definitely go below deck.

If you're able to see your boat when it's out of storage, do what I did if you can.. put your phone on video record mode with the light on and go through the boat with it. It'll give you an idea of the lay out. Without doing that, it's hard to describe how all water leads to be bilge pump and so forth.

I am very irritated that I found these two blatant holes in the glazing in the bilge of all places. I can easily see, how if unchecked daily use and water in the bilge would soak the boat.... Leaving the boat tilted till the weekend, then I'll caulk the hole.

2013 element, another with water where it shouldn't be 08 Jun 2017 14:28 #153

• Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 44

undieingbreed wrote: Oak, the hole is at the very bottom of the bilge area. Same level as the bottom of the bilge pump. I can probably put $$ that the hole leads to the lower sealed area where the stringers are located. It's well below the battery and on the other side. didn't bother poking or probing after I saw how much water came from the hole I knew it led below the sealed area.

Water that leaks through from the battery tray screws will definitely go below deck.

If you're able to see your boat when it's out of storage, do what I did if you can.. put your phone on video record mode with the light on and go through the boat with it. It'll give you an idea of the lay out. Without doing that, it's hard to describe how all water leads to be bilge pump and so forth.

I am very irritated that I found these two blatant holes in the glazing in the bilge of all places. I can easily see, how if unchecked daily use and water in the bilge would soak the boat.... Leaving the boat tilted till the weekend, then I'll caulk the hole.

I see one small "pencil-diameter" hole in the corner, and what possibly looks like a 1" or so cut hole on the left side of the photo? Or is that just a depression? Are those what you are talking about? Both seem odd, but neither seems accidental. I would want to wait to hear back from the rep or the dealer before caulking them. There are a bunch of drainage channels under the floor of the boat....I am not sure where they all lead, but it is possible that the holes you are talking about are intentional drainage channels or weep holes that have nothing to do with the sponsons (I have no idea; I will take a look at mine next time I have a chance). But if they are intentional, then caulking them could create new drainage problems, AND limit your hull warranty for any issues caused by your interfering with the drainage.

2013 element, another with water where it shouldn't be 08 Jun 2017 15:42 #154

• undieingbreed
The large hole is the drain plug from the bilge. I am waiting to hear back from the rep. As far as the drain holes from the compartments, if you look in the bilge there are channels molded into the main wood deck that the water follows, I do like that design at least. The pencil sized hole may be for a inner Hull drain. However I doubt that, it would be dumb to do that so low in the bilge, the bilge fills up and this drains into the hull. It does look intentional because it's so rounded.

2013 element, another with water where it shouldn't be 08 Jun 2017 16:31 #155

• Premium Member
  • Premium Member

undieingbreed wrote: The large hole is the drain plug from the bilge. I am waiting to hear back from the rep. As far as the drain holes from the compartments, if you look in the bilge there are channels molded into the main wood deck that the water follows, I do like that design at least. The pencil sized hole may be for a inner Hull drain. However I doubt that, it would be dumb to do that so low in the bilge, the bilge fills up and this drains into the hull. It does look intentional because it's so rounded.

Gotcha. Now I understand the orientation of your photo. Interested to hear what the rep says.

My Robalo has molded or cut drainage holes or channels that low in the bilge that drain into a central rear bilge area so that it get to the pump, but they are about an inch in diameter. That small channel on your Bayliner looks easily cloggable.....

2013 element, another with water where it shouldn't be 08 Jun 2017 18:04 #156

• undieingbreed
That's why I don't think that hole is meant to be there. I think it's a defective area I need to fix. The channels in the Bayliner deck are about an inch deep by an inch wide square and would be very hard to clog so I think they just missed sealing that corner. I still have yet to hear back

2013 element, another with water where it shouldn't be 08 Jun 2017 19:51 #157

• oakplank
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • 2014 Element owner
  • Thank you received: 90

undieingbreed wrote: That's why I don't think that hole is meant to be there. I think it's a defective area I need to fix. The channels in the Bayliner deck are about an inch deep by an inch wide square and would be very hard to clog so I think they just missed sealing that corner. I still have yet to hear back

Next time you are at your dealer, take a look at one of their Elements to see if they also have the same holes at the same place.

Parry Sound, Ontario Canada
2014 Bayliner Element with Mercury 60 HP EFI Big Foot OB
12 foot aluminum fishing boat

2013 element, another with water where it shouldn't be 09 Jun 2017 13:53 #158

• undieingbreed
I would but the dealer I got mine at, no longer deals with Bayliner... Yay, must be a sign..

2013 element, another with water where it shouldn't be 11 Jun 2017 16:42 #159

• undieingbreed
I advise all element owners to check their bilge areas. It's now been about a week since the rain filled the bilge and I discovered that hole. I do not have physical water in the sponson drains but I do have tangible moisture.

So that is one flaw with the bilge.

2013 element, another with water where it shouldn't be 11 Jul 2017 22:20 #160

• Premium Member
  • Premium Member

undieingbreed wrote: I advise all element owners to check their bilge areas. It's now been about a week since the rain filled the bilge and I discovered that hole. I do not have physical water in the sponson drains but I do have tangible moisture.

So that is one flaw with the bilge.

Any update on this? Any thoughts from Bayliner? I have checked the bilge in my 2017 element E18, and there is no such hole.

2013 element, another with water where it shouldn't be 14 Jul 2017 04:41 #161

• Pegasus_01
  • Thank you received: 17
Guys, quick info on the Element hull design:
The center hull and sponsons are sealed off from each other. I know this because my water intake came from badly sealed table holders in the deck. The center hull is completely soaked but no water is passing into the sponsons or through the stock drain plug (that's normal as the center hull is meant to be a sealed unit). Also, the center hull is full of open cell foam and structural non treated plywood. So any water whatsoever in this section will, in time, kill your boat. The foam will retain water and the ply will rot due to humidity.
So if you have water in your center hull it will not go into the sponsons. Which is good in a way as it prevents a leak on either the sponsons or the center hull to affect the entire boat (and sink it)

Nick
The following user(s) said Thank You: 6104696

2016 Bayliner Element XL with Mercury 115 four stroke Pro XS
Geneva, Switzerland
Last Edit: by Pegasus_01.

2013 element, another with water where it shouldn't be 17 Jul 2017 11:49 #162

• Pichy
  • Thank you received: 1

"Also, the center hull is full of open cell foam and structural non treated plywood."

You have untreated plywood? My dealer told me that any wood on the boat is pressure treated. Are you sure it's untreated?

2013 element, another with water where it shouldn't be 17 Jul 2017 17:27 #163

• Pegasus_01
Pichy,

Does this look like the way pressure treated plywood should react to water after a few months?

Somehow I don't think so...

Nick

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Geneva, Switzerland

2013 element, another with water where it shouldn't be 17 Jul 2017 22:13 #164

• Pichy
So is it covered? Lifetime hull warranty?

2013 element, another with water where it shouldn't be 18 Jul 2017 05:41 #165

• Pegasus_01
At the moment I'm waiting for the marine expert to pass. These were installed by the dealer so the insufficient sealant around the holder base is his fault. I don't think this will be a warranty case. More of a dealer liability one.
For me the hull is dead (it's less than 18 months old) and should be replaced. But we'll have to wait and see what the insurance experts say...

Nick

Geneva, Switzerland

2013 element, another with water where it shouldn't be 19 Jul 2017 02:44 #166

• Pichy
Best of luck to you. Keep us posted.

2013 element, another with water where it shouldn't be 21 Jul 2017 02:36 #167

• undieingbreed
As far as the plywood. I've been told it is kiln dried.... Not the same as pressure treated as far as I know. Just means it's cooked wood.

I am not sure about the sponson and center vee not being connected. I think they are. I had a good amount of water go from the bilge through a hole in the bilge area, into the center vee. Drained it, let it dry for days then caulked it. I was still feeling moisture in the sponson drains.

The boat has been in the water at the lake for a week, for our vacation. I'll know shortly how the boat has handled being in the water and if we will be keeping it after this.

If we have water issues I will be contacting Bayliner. I hope not but I will not keep a boat that is defective.

Oh, as a side note, bulb on nav light burnt on first trip. Battery had to be replaced after first trip, foam has come unglued from the hull on the port side, speedo gets stuck at times, the rubber at the base of the wake tower is cracking already.

So either way I will be going after several warranty issues.

The battery was covered, just an FYI. Love the boat other wise, but the build quality is really lacking.... Entry level or not.

Last Edit: by undieingbreed. Reason: Spelling

2013 element, another with water where it shouldn't be 21 Jul 2017 13:25 #168

• Premium Member
  • Premium Member

undieingbreed wrote: As far as the plywood. I've been told it is kiln dried.... Not the same as pressure treated as far as I know. Just means it's cooked wood.

I am not sure about the sponson and center vee not being connected. I think they are. I had a good amount of water go from the bilge through a hole in the bilge area, into the center vee. Drained it, let it dry for days then caulked it. I was still feeling moisture in the sponson drains.

The boat has been in the water at the lake for a week, for our vacation. I'll know shortly how the boat has handled being in the water and if we will be keeping it after this.

If we have water issues I will be contacting Bayliner. I hope not but I will not keep a boat that is defective.

Oh, as a side note, bulb on nav light burnt on first trip. Battery had to be replaced after first trip, foam has come unglued from the hull on the port side, speedo gets stuck at times, the rubber at the base of the wake tower is cracking already.

So either way I will be going after several warranty issues.

The battery was covered, just an FYI. Love the boat other wise, but the build quality is really lacking.... Entry level or not.

I will probably bring mine in at the end of the season to have them try to seal the sponsons, or at least my port sponson which seems to be the only one getting wet. I thought that water was getting in through the screws for the gas tank hold downs, but I no longer think that this is the case.

I think almost all plywood is "kiln dried," and that, I think, merely prevents warping and generally reduces moisture content and does not have anything to do with pressure treating or marinizing the wood. Not my area of expertise, though.

Some random thoughts on your issues noted above:

1) Bulbs are usually not covered by warranty. Up to the dealer or Bayliner, I suppose, if they want to replace it as a courtesy.
2) Batteries are, I think, dealer supplied. Not really a "build quality" issue though. Glad to hear that they replaced it for you.
3) Foam; I guess you are referring to one of the foam blocks that visible from the storage lockers? On my 2017 I think that they are actually strapped in place (though I only recall seeing it on the starboard side). Is there no strap?
4) I too noted the rubber cracking on mine almost immediately. I think I may leave it alone rather than have someone unbolt and re-bolt the tower.
5) Speedo getting stuck? Stuck at zero or stuck at some number higher than zero? Pitot tube getting clogged or blocked? Bayliner sources the speedo but likely does not "make" them. So this might be a vendor quality issue.

Maybe I have been buying boats for too long but this is not a big list of warranty items. The real biggie of course is the sponson issue...I am sure that Bayliner will try to fix it, the question is.....can they?

Last Edit: by 6104696.

2013 element, another with water where it shouldn't be 22 Jul 2017 01:01 #169

• Pichy
I too had water in my sponsons, discovered after drilling to install my Bennet tab to correct the porpoising. Dealer said Bayliner is aware of this problem and they installed sponson drains. I asked about the source of the water. He said they would check all the screw penetrations into the deck and see what's up. I said I'm worried about the wood inside the sponsons being constantly wet and rotting. He told me it's all pressure treated, so "it won't rot for at least 15 to 20 years even if it's wet, and the hull has a lifetime warranty. You're covered if it ever rots." I need to read my warranty and see exactly what is covered.

I have not lake tested it yet to see if water enters the sponsons again, but I believe it will.

Last Edit: by Pichy.

2013 element, another with water where it shouldn't be 22 Jul 2017 01:37 #170

• undieingbreed
610 - I've had boats for years as well.. are they "big" issues, no. However on a new boat, within it's first year I look at even small things as unacceptable. I replaced the festoon bulb with an LED, that was just an irritation.

The battery was covered and we purchased a second deep cycle as a spare to keep onboard.

The speed does what it wants, sticks at 10 which is the minimum, sticks at 20 when slowing and so on. I think it's a sticking issue because if I tap the dial it will adjust.

The foam is not the stapped in rear ones but the one by the port side front "d seat" I guess, near the speaker. The glue didn't hold and now the foam falls in the storage area.

Also, a snap screw pulled out today on the front anchor seat. Didn't take it off all week, and we barely do and yes we're easy on it. Just pulled out, stripped the hole. That, I deme unacceptable on a new boat.

I'm not sure how I feel about the rubber on the wake tower, not sure why it cracked so fast but I do feel taking it out may be worse than leaving.

On a plus, after a week of in water storage, and wakeboarding, so wet lifejackets and people... Sponsons were dry.

So you know, I pulled and caulked all holes holding the fuel tank, fuel lines, battery compartment plywood and so on. Using 5200. I also Teflon the plugs and for this week added a very small ring of 5200 aroubd the plug once tight for good measure.

I think water in sponson area is bilge related.

Pichy, did you look at your bilge area like I mentioned here on the forum? I found 2 sizable holes that let so much bilge water in, that when I pulled the bike plug they actually flowed from the hole in the bike area, past the bilge pump and out the plug hole... I was furious.

The warranty from what I've seen covers the general use of the boat. Seems like they go by, if the boat becomes unsafe or no longer performs properly, like getting on plane. They cover it. Seems at least that part they stand by.

2013 element, another with water where it shouldn't be 24 Jul 2017 23:45 #171

• BuffaloElement
  • Thank you received: 0
I also have water in the hull. I just purchased a 2017 Element, and decided to install trim tabs because of the problem getting on plane with no weight in the bow of the boat. The first hole I drilled water began shooting out and it was pretty high up as well. Had to completely change the location I originally was going to install the trim tabs because now I have to install drain plugs at the bottom of each now. Not happy with this. Wish i could take the boat back with all the problems I have been having with it getting on plane. Now this.... Guess I am SOL now for taking in for warranty on the hull now that I installed the trim tabs, but I really didnt have an option.
Also anyone with the swim platforms might want to drill holes in the bottom where the bolts go in. Water collects in there as well..

2013 element, another with water where it shouldn't be 25 Jul 2017 01:59 #172

• Pichy

Pichy, did you look at your bilge area like I mentioned here on the forum? I found 2 sizable holes that let so much bilge water in, that when I pulled the bike plug they actually flowed from the hole in the bike area, past the bilge pump and out the plug hole... I was furious.

Undieingbreed, no, I have not yet looked in the bilge area for holes. I did take the boat out for three hours after draining the sponsons using the plugs the dealer had just installed. When I was done and pulled the boat out, I unscrewed all three plugs and the sponsons had about a half cup of off-colored water in each one. Also, the dealer had said that they would pull screws in the floor and caulk the holes and reinstall, but I see no evidence of that. I'll check the bilge area soon for any holes that shouldn't be there.

2013 element, another with water where it shouldn't be 27 Jul 2017 19:37 #173

• Pegasus_01
Update (for those interested)

Reminder: Table holders on the deck of my 2016 XL had been badly sealed when the dealer installed them causing water to seep into the central sealed hull.

Experts from both parties (mine and the dealer's) spent 3 hrs yesterday examining the boat. Conclusion is that the dealer is 100% at fault. 1st option for fixing is getting a shipyard to disassemble the deck and hull this winter and do whatever is necessary to dry / restore the hull to its normal dry status. 2nd option (depending on the cost of the 1st option) is replacing the entire hull (boat).

While this is merely interesting for most of you guys, please note that I was fortunate enough to see the complete construction plans and details of the Element XL. This could be very interesting to a lot of you affected by water in the sponsons. Obviously these plans are very hard to come by as they are Bayliner trade secrets (and therefore cannot be publicized) but I can at least publicly say (i think) that the sponsons and the center hull are NOT linked. They are all 2/3rd filled with injected closed cell foam but the separation between the sponsons and the center hull is done with wood stringers.
This construction method can, IMO, explain a few things:
1. You can have water in a sponson and not in the center hull or the other sponson
2. Installing extra drains cannot guarantee that the water present in the sponson will be evacuated as it all depends on how well the injected liquid foam has stuck to the fiberglass hull.
3. For those sponsons where drains do 'drain', depending on the shape of the top of the foam in the sponson, you can very easily have residual water stuck on top of the foam (in a small pool) which will only displace itself with the boat having gone out on the water and made that stagnating water move about.
4. You cannot guarantee that installing sponson drain plugs will prevent any wood stringer or other wood from being affected by the water and humidity.

As a general rule, for those affected by water in sponsons or the center hull, I would immediately request a replacement of the hull under the Bayliner lifetime hull warranty. Water in those areas will end up damaging the structural integrity of the hull and therefore cause an accelerated aging of the boat.

For those wanting more construction details, PM me.

Nick
The following user(s) said Thank You: 6104696, fishbayers, metz123, Outboards-N-Idaho

Geneva, Switzerland
Last Edit: by Pegasus_01.

2013 element, another with water where it shouldn't be 27 Jul 2017 21:22 #174

• Outboards-N-Idaho

Pegasus_01 wrote: Update (for those interested)

Reminder: Table holders on the deck of my 2016 XL had been badly sealed when the dealer installed them causing water to seep into the central sealed hull.

Experts from both parties (mine and the dealer's) spent 3 hrs yesterday examining the boat. Conclusion is that the dealer is 100% at fault. 1st option for fixing is getting a shipyard to disassemble the deck and hull this winter and do whatever is necessary to dry / restore the hull to its normal dry status. 2nd option (depending on the cost of the 1st option) is replacing the entire hull (boat).

While this is merely interesting for most of you guys, please note that I was fortunate enough to see the complete construction plans and details of the Element XL. This could be very interesting to a lot of you affected by water in the sponsons. Obviously these plans are very hard to come by as they are Bayliner trade secrets (and therefore cannot be publicized) but I can at least publicly say (i think) that the sponsons and the center hull are NOT linked. They are all 2/3rd filled with injected closed cell foam but the separation between the sponsons and the center hull is done with wood stringers.
This construction method can, IMO, explain a few things:
1. You can have water in a sponson and not in the center hull or the other sponson
2. Installing extra drains cannot guarantee that the water present in the sponson will be evacuated as it all depends on how well the injected liquid foam has stuck to the fiberglass hull.
3. For those sponsons where drains do 'drain', depending on the shape of the top of the foam in the sponson, you can very easily have residual water stuck on top of the foam (in a small pool) which will only displace itself with the boat having gone out on the water and made that stagnating water move about.
4. You cannot guarantee that installing sponson drain plugs will prevent any wood stringer or other wood from being affected by the water and humidity.

As a general rule, for those affected by water in sponsons or the center hull, I would immediately request a replacement of the hull under the Bayliner lifetime hull warranty. Water in those areas will end up damaging the structural integrity of the hull and therefore cause an accelerated aging of the boat.

For those wanting more construction details, PM me.

Nick

Well...The good news I guess is that they have admitted the problem and you can get things corrected. Although until changes in design and/or construction methods occurs, I don't think it will ever be completely remedied. Boats get wet if they can't drain...That's a problem.

I want to thank all of you who identified this problem and posted here to warn those of us who were considering an Element.

Eric

2013 element, another with water where it shouldn't be 28 Jul 2017 13:58 #175

• fishbayers
  • Thank you received: 11
Thanks for posting that information. The key point has always been that the hull, including the sponson areas, are not intended to get wet. Therefore, they were not designed to drain water to aftermarket drains. Water in these areas will never fully dry, may not fully drain, and depending on the foam configuration may not drain at all.
This type of information is why I joined the forum as it helped me in my buying decision, so thanks to those who share information in a productive way.
For those that own Elements, I will continue to recommend that you DO NOT allow drains to be a solution for water in the sponson area. Demand that the root cause of the water entry be identified and fixed and the hull be dried. Properly drying the hull seems to me like hull replacement, but perhaps there is another way. Only when the owners start demanding this action will Bayliner start addressing this issue in an acceptable way. This forum is great for sharing information, but you CAN influence actual change as well.
I don't have a horse in this race and have been wrongly accused of trying to start a movement. I have been trying make owners of Elements realize that installing drains is not an acceptable solution. It just simply bothers me that people are spending their hard earned money on a boat that has an issue known to Bayliner, yet they continue to produce more boats with the same issue because owners are allowing them to put in cheap drain plugs and call it good. Yet they know it is not good, because they know the design of the interior of the hulls.

Moderators: Download_Completehiggins_jr
Time to create page: 0.153 seconds