Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: 2013 element, another with water where it shouldn't be

2013 element, another with water where it shouldn't be 27 Jul 2016 22:05 #1

• Noxian
  • Noxian's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 5
Went to install a set of smart tabs today after 3 years of owning my element sure enough after the first hole bam water. Already called the dealership waiting to hear back.

Based on the drill bit looks like the wood is pretty soaked too.

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

The following user(s) said Thank You: TigerBoat

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last Edit: by Noxian. Reason: fixed title

2013 elements, another with water where it shouldn't be 27 Jul 2016 23:54 #2

• bhawes
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 82
Were there any others holes previously drilled into the transom below the waterline? If so, hopefully they were drilled by the dealer.

Bob Hawes.
Kelowna, B.C.
1998 Trophy 2052 WA
4.3 Vortec, A1 G2

2013 elements, another with water where it shouldn't be 28 Jul 2016 02:44 #3

• Noxian
none what so ever this is the first

2013 element, another with water where it shouldn't be 28 Jul 2016 16:40 #4

• 3270my
  • Thank you received: 9
So sad... I had my smart tabs installed ... Looks like I'm going to have to have them removed to install additional drain holes !!! And have them reinstalled this fall !!! Not happy at all !!!

1987 3270MY, 135 Hino engines

2015 Element ( Lime Green) Limited Edition 75 HP Mercury.

Roger, Lake Saint Clair, Michigan
Fair Winds & Following Seas

2013 element, another with water where it shouldn't be 28 Jul 2016 17:17 #5

• Noxian
After reading many reports of issues with water in the hull, I planned so that to leave enough room in case I needed drain plugs added, but we will see what they do. Taking it to the dealership tonight.

2013 element, another with water where it shouldn't be 28 Jul 2016 18:42 #6

• TigerBoat
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 34

Noxian wrote: After reading many reports of issues with water in the hull, I planned so that to leave enough room in case I needed drain plugs added, but we will see what they do. Taking it to the dealership tonight.

Soon you will have a fabulous transom like this!

This message has an attachment image.

2016 75hp Element 160 w/ Smart Tabs & Sponson Drains

2013 element, another with water where it shouldn't be 28 Jul 2016 18:51 #7

• Noxian

TigerBoat wrote:

Noxian wrote: After reading many reports of issues with water in the hull, I planned so that to leave enough room in case I needed drain plugs added, but we will see what they do. Taking it to the dealership tonight.

Soon you will have a fabulous transom like this!

Your picture is what I based the positioning of my smart tabs on, I even measured the diameter of the factory drain plug to make sure I left enough room LOL

Last Edit: by Noxian.

2013 element, another with water where it shouldn't be 28 Jul 2016 19:38 #8

• TigerBoat
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member

Noxian wrote:
Your picture is what I based the positioning of my smart tabs on, I even measured the diameter of the factory drain plug to make sure I left enough room LOL

I hope it helped. I looked high and low for a similar transom pic when I was making plans for my own boat's drains and tabs and didn't really find much.

2013 element, another with water where it shouldn't be 29 Jul 2016 13:26 #9

• Noxian
dropped the boat off at the dealer last night, they seemed confused and had never heard of this issue before , I am not sure they have sold many Elements or maybe other owners havent run into the same issue yet.

2013 element, another with water where it shouldn't be 29 Jul 2016 14:16 #10

• Download_Complete
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 549
As the BOC Admin, I watch for product issues to raise to the Bayliner mothership. I am growing concerned about the Element water retention issue, so I raised this thread and one other thread to Bayliner senior leadership.

It's being watched, and I think there are discussions going on behind the scenes.

I do think Noxian is right - this is still a relatively new boat with limited use out in the wild, so there will be a learning curve. That said, to all Element owners: It is IMPERATIVE that in addition to posting here, you raise this issue to your dealer. Bayliner won't find out about it unless it's reported through the dealership channel.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Noxian

Matt Train
BOC Admin
Chicagoland, IL

2013 element, another with water where it shouldn't be 29 Jul 2016 17:50 #11

• TigerBoat
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member

Download_Complete wrote: Bayliner won't find out about it unless it's reported through the dealership channel.

Bayliner IS aware of this issue.

Bayliner / Brunswick has provided drawing(s) to dealership(s) indicating the preferred location for additional sponson garboard drains to be installed when customers request this repair/modification.

It is my understanding that the issue is being addressed case by case, and that seems like a pretty good way to handle it in all honesty :)

Last Edit: by TigerBoat.

2013 element, another with water where it shouldn't be 29 Jul 2016 18:01 #12

• Download_Complete
  • Administrator
  • Administrator

TigerBoat wrote:

Download_Complete wrote: Bayliner won't find out about it unless it's reported through the dealership channel.

Bayliner / Brunswick provided drawing indicating location for garboard install below. Enjoy :)

Aware and watching. The current number of affected boats is less than 1/2 of a percent, a very small number, but that's as of now.

Point is if more people come forward with an issue, it WILL be dealt with. The Element is the foundation of Bayliner's new direction in the marine industry, and I cannot overstate this: They will not let any quality issues affect the performance of this boat in the market.

Also, I am working with Bayliner management to have their CS folks be a regular fixture on our site to help with Bayliner specific questions and customer service issues. That's still in development, but it's something we hope to put into place soon.
The following user(s) said Thank You: TPerk274

Matt Train
BOC Admin
Chicagoland, IL
Last Edit: by Download_Complete.

2013 element, another with water where it shouldn't be 29 Jul 2016 18:25 #13

• Waterdowg
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 63

TigerBoat wrote:

Bayliner / Brunswick has provided drawing(s) to dealership(s) indicating the preferred location for additional sponson garboard drains to be installed when customers request this repair/modification.

It is my understanding that the issue is being addressed case by case, and that seems like a pretty good way to handle it in all honesty :)

The only issue with the case by case is how does one know they have water? Drill a hole to find out? . That seems to the only way. I would not even know about this issue if it were not for this site. It only seems folks are finding the issue when they install depth gauges or trim tabs.
If they know there is an issue they should just do a recall on all Elements to have drains installed. I'm sure there are plenty of boats that have water that the owners are not aware of. I don't have an Element but I got a recall on my Boat to install a latch on the engine cover.

2016 Bayliner 215 Deck Boat
Mercruiser 4.3 220 HP Alpha 1 Gen II

2003 SeaRay 176 SRX Bowrider
Mercruiser 3.0 135 HP Alpha 1 Gen II

1988 Sunbird 170 Bowrider
Evinrude 88 Special

1970 Salem Skiff 13.5 foot
1992 Johnson 40HP.

2013 element, another with water where it shouldn't be 29 Jul 2016 18:45 #14

• TigerBoat
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member

Download_Complete wrote: Aware and watching. The current number of affected boats is less than 1/2 of a percent, a very small number, but that's as of now.

Point is if more people come forward with an issue, it WILL be dealt with. The Element is the foundation of Bayliner's new direction in the marine industry, and I cannot overstate this: They will not let any quality issues affect the performance of this boat in the market.

Also, I am working with Bayliner management to have their CS folks be a regular fixture on our site to help with Bayliner specific questions and customer service issues. That's still in development, but it's something we hope to put into place soon.

Bayliner's CS is great (thanks Terry!), and it would be wonderful if they had a stronger presence on this site.

The Element 160 is fun, has an amazing layout (& price) and fits right into a standard garage. Bayliner has a hit on their hands for sure.

I wonder if we will receive additional insight into whether or not the materials within the hull (that were never meant to see water and are now seeing it) will be affected?

I believe there is significant concern regarding this issue as well.

This message has an attachment image.

2013 element, another with water where it shouldn't be 29 Jul 2016 20:33 #15

• nicker22
  • Thank you received: 13
I Don't understand what you mean when you say drains installed? IF there is water in the transom and the wood is wet its too late. A drain may in fact drain the water but the wood will rot . The problem is why is water getting in there in the first place......it shouldn't be there. Once in the damage is done its too late.

Bayliner 185 BR
3.0 Merc Cruiser

2013 element, another with water where it shouldn't be 29 Jul 2016 21:01 #16

• FISHIN00
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 164
Why in the WORLD is Bayliner using wood in the constructions process.

2013 element, another with water where it shouldn't be 29 Jul 2016 21:24 #17

• Download_Complete
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
I have feedback from the mothership.

It is a very small portion of over the 2,000 boats sold since the beginning of model year 2013, less than 1%. The issue seems to be isolated to a few cases but Bayliner and the plant is working to identify if there are any necessary design changes. Naturally I will work with Bayliner to keep you all up to speed, but at this point if you have an Element with water in the sponsons, you NEED to raise this to the dealer if you have not already.

This is an unfortunate incident for the boats effected, but Bayliner is diligently working with customers and their dealers to identify a field fix.

Matt Train
BOC Admin
Chicagoland, IL

2013 element, another with water where it shouldn't be 29 Jul 2016 21:30 #18

• TigerBoat
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member

Waterdowg wrote: The only issue with the case by case is how does one know they have water? Drill a hole to find out? . That seems to the only way. I would not even know about this issue if it were not for this site. It only seems folks are finding the issue when they install depth gauges or trim tabs.
If they know there is an issue they should just do a recall on all Elements to have drains installed. I'm sure there are plenty of boats that have water that the owners are not aware of. I don't have an Element but I got a recall on my Boat to install a latch on the engine cover.

This part of the problem is really interesting. "Drill a hole to find out? That seems to be the only way"

I wonder just how many Element 160's and Element XL's have undetected water in the sponsons at the moment...... :dry:

2013 element, another with water where it shouldn't be 29 Jul 2016 21:43 #19

• Waterdowg
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 63

TigerBoat wrote:

Waterdowg wrote: The only issue with the case by case is how does one know they have water? Drill a hole to find out? . That seems to the only way. I would not even know about this issue if it were not for this site. It only seems folks are finding the issue when they install depth gauges or trim tabs.

This part of the problem that is really interesting. "Drill a hole to find out? That seems to be the only way"

I wonder just how many Element 160's and Element XL's have undetected water in the sponsons at the moment?

If the only way to find out is to drill a hole what happens if you drill and don't find water. Who pays to fix the gel coat? Anothet issue is what if you drill and don't have water now but whos to say you will not get it in the future. Are Element owns suppose to just drill holes over time to find out? The only real logical option is a recall to install drains while they investigate the issue. Then once they have resolved the issue put out a recal to solve the issue for good. I realize it may cost Bayliner a good penny but it the right thing to do.
Again I don't have Element but I feel for those that do.

2016 Bayliner 215 Deck Boat
Mercruiser 4.3 220 HP Alpha 1 Gen II

2003 SeaRay 176 SRX Bowrider
Mercruiser 3.0 135 HP Alpha 1 Gen II

1988 Sunbird 170 Bowrider
Evinrude 88 Special

1970 Salem Skiff 13.5 foot
1992 Johnson 40HP.

2013 element, another with water where it shouldn't be 29 Jul 2016 23:16 #20

• Critterracing
  • Thank you received: 7
dont forget, in the winter time that transom will freeze and cause even more long term ownership problems.

2016 Bayliner 215DB
4.5l 250hp Bravo 3
2016 Yamaha VZ Cruiser HO

2013 element, another with water where it shouldn't be 30 Jul 2016 00:50 #21

• TigerBoat
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member

Noxian wrote: dropped the boat off at the dealer last night, they seemed confused and had never heard of this issue before , I am not sure they have sold many Elements or maybe other owners havent run into the same issue yet.

The funny thing is that this issue has been a hot topic here since early 2014 (or earlier?) with detailed descriptions and pics.
www.baylinerownersclub.org/index.php/for...g-water?limitstart=0

(we can thank Mhardman for blazing the trail for us)

2013 element, another with water where it shouldn't be 30 Jul 2016 01:29 #22

• Lodge
  • Thank you received: 0
When boats get surveyed they use a moisture meter to detect water intrusion. This would work instead of drilling .

2013 element, another with water where it shouldn't be 30 Jul 2016 02:11 #23

• green650
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 380
How is the water getting in the transom?
Is the inside of the transom not sealed?
Or thru factory holes...transom tie downs?

2013 element, another with water where it shouldn't be 31 Jul 2016 14:56 #24

• jeffspalmcoast
  • Thank you received: 7
The area of the sponsons are supposed to be sealed... but obviously are not on every boat. If you leave your boat outside on a dock uncovered, rain water will run to the bilge and into the sponsons as well if not 100% sealed. Not sure how Bayliner knows that 1% of the Elements produced have the problem? Maybe 1% are reported having the problem? Maybe 25% or more Element owners have that issue and just dont know about it. I knew I had the issue when i rocked the boat on the trailer and could hear a little water splashing in the sponson area. The bilge area was dry. (use a thethescope and a friend rocking). Mine is garage kept and has not seen rain yet, but a few times I had to wash out the storage compartments so I am guessing thats where the water got in.

2016 Element 16' Merc 75 Hp OB
2003 Four Winns 190 220hp Volvo Penta I/O
1988 Sea Ray 21 Sorrento 200 Merc I/O
1980 Proline 17 Center Console Johnson 90 OB

2013 element, another with water where it shouldn't be 31 Jul 2016 19:50 #25

• mrjeff

jeffspalmcoast wrote: The area of the sponsons are supposed to be sealed... but obviously are not on every boat. If you leave your boat outside on a dock uncovered, rain water will run to the bilge and into the sponsons as well if not 100% sealed. Not sure how Bayliner knows that 1% of the Elements produced have the problem? Maybe 1% are reported having the problem? Maybe 25% or more Element owners have that issue and just dont know about it. I knew I had the issue when i rocked the boat on the trailer and could hear a little water splashing in the sponson area. The bilge area was dry. (use a thethescope and a friend rocking). Mine is garage kept and has not seen rain yet, but a few times I had to wash out the storage compartments so I am guessing thats where the water got in.

Do you own an Element or the XL Model?

Moderators: Download_Completehiggins_jr
Time to create page: 0.156 seconds