Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: 1985 capri with volvo penta 125a takes a little while to plane

1985 capri with volvo penta 125a takes a little while to plane 12 Jun 2016 22:45 #1

• Antlermanec
  • Antlermanec's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0
We recently purchased a used 1985 bayliner capri 1900 with a volvo aq125a. Seems like it takes a little while to get on plane. Is there much we can do to fix issue or does it just lack the power to get up quick? I checked with the seller he did not replace plugs, impeller etc. i plan to do this what else id recommended?
Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

1985 capri with volvo penta 125a takes a little while to plane 12 Jun 2016 23:00 #2

• desuch
  • Away
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 53
kinda hard to say tune up, wrong propeller , heavy boat maybe hull water logged
The following user(s) said Thank You: Antlermanec

1988 flybridge trophy bayliner 2556 ,mercury 5.7 lit. OMC cobra out drive 76 hrs. on new package,
located in ketchikan ak,name DOMINION

1985 capri with volvo penta 125a takes a little while to plane 12 Jun 2016 23:05 #3

• Antlermanec
Thanks! Planning tuneup and checking on prop first. There was no manual so all my info is coming from online research.

1985 capri with volvo penta 125a takes a little while to plane 12 Jun 2016 23:12 #4

• canoel
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 676
Welcome to the forum!!
Tune will be the first thing to do.
When you do get it on plane, what is the maximum rpm that you can achieve? We will need to know this, and what prop is on it now, to determine if you need to change the prop pitch.
Possibly hidden water in the hull somewhere.

Joel
1987 3818 Hino 175
"Knotty Girl"
Prince Rupert B.C.

1985 capri with volvo penta 125a takes a little while to plane 02 Aug 2016 20:05 #5

• Antlermanec
Now we are having trouble with overheating. When we hook up the muffs it is not getting enough water in. But when we hook hose up direct to the line inside the boat that goes to the sea water pump it works properly and keeps correct temp etc. any ideas?

1985 capri with volvo penta 125a takes a little while to plane 02 Aug 2016 22:40 #6

• rkcarguy
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 66
There is a housing on the outdrive with a hose going to it between the two ribbed rubber bellows. This housing is aluminum and can look perfect but will be all eaten away under the hose and cause a vacuum leak. The housing and gasket under it can be replaced, some opt to install a bronze thru hull fitting into the bottom of the boat and eliminate drawing water through the drive.
There is a hole at the bottom of the outdrive that must also be plugged when using muffs, is it? I prefer to drop my drive into a large bin or water trough instead of using muffs.
Wide open throttle RPM should reach 5000 rpm, don't sustain it for more than a few seconds to see what the peak rpm is.
A whale tail, smart tabs, or a 4-blade prop will all help the boat plane quicker, all else being in good shape.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Antlermanec

1985 capri with volvo penta 125a takes a little while to plane 11 Aug 2016 21:59 #7

• Antlermanec
Thanks for info. is there anything else to worry about below the housing and gasket? The gasket has some cracks in it. I can replace it and the housing easy enough just wondering if I need to look at anything else in between it and where the water comes in from the drive?
Thanks!!

1985 capri with volvo penta 125a takes a little while to plane 11 Aug 2016 22:04 #8

• rkcarguy
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 66
Slop in the steering bushings(particularily the plastic one below the housing and gasket) can cause the drive to wobble and eat the sealing "bead" off the new gasket. Can you pick up the drive and clunk it up and down(seeing it loose at the pivot point) in or is it fairly tight?
It sounds like if the gasket was cracked that was a majority of the problem though so if the bushings are fair to good condition you should be good. With the drive dunked in a bin you'll be able to install a clear hose on the raw water pipe that goes across the rear of the transom inside and see if there is any air bubbles in it indicating a leak.

If it does need replacing, this is a pretty extensive job as the drive must be broken apart into it's 3 sections and removed from the boat to press the pivot pin in and out to replace the bushing. I've done this myself. I think I would honestly consider putting a through-hull intake in my boat if this was happening again instead of taking my drive all apart.

Last Edit: by rkcarguy.

1985 capri with volvo penta 125a small water leak appears to be circulatory pump 06 Jun 2017 13:16 #9

• Antlermanec
Hi Guys
I got the boat out and noticed when running it at a slightly higher rpm of 2,000 or higher there is a water leak that appears to be from the circulatory water pump. Any ideas there? Are there parts I can get? Gaskets, etc. Or would I be best to have shop take a look?

1985 capri with volvo penta 125a small water leak appears to be circulatory pump 27 Jun 2017 14:04 #10

• Woodbutcher
  • Thank you received: 22
Where's the leak from? Pictures are helpful. As far as your engine goes, first thing you need to do is make sure it's properly in tune. That means new plugs, possibly new points/condenser, set timing per the book, check total timing advance, make sure dwell is set correctly. These are great little engines that tend to last forever if properly cared for, but it's not going to be a speed demon.

If you don't have experience with breaker point ignitions, you need to find someone who can hands-on teach you or find a local marine mechanic with Volvo Penta experience (these are becoming rare).

Please take the time to fill out your profile/signature so we know what you are working with.

Northwest New Jersey
1985 Bayliner 2160 Trophy Hardtop w/ Alaskan Bulkhead
Volvo/Penta AQ125B/275
MMSI: 338206607
Last Edit: by Woodbutcher.

1985 capri with volvo penta 125a small water leak appears to be circulatory pump 09 Aug 2017 21:28 #11

• Antlermanec
Here is a video. Its coming somewhere behind larger pulley on bottom of block behind raw water pump it appears?

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Last Edit: by Antlermanec.

1985 capri with volvo penta 125a small water leak appears to be circulatory pump 10 Aug 2017 02:38 #12

• Antlermanec
Having trouble loading video.

• Page:
Moderators: Download_Completehiggins_jr
Time to create page: 0.104 seconds