Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Attempted to Pickup Our New Element XL...Quality Issues

Attempted to Pickup Our New Element XL...Quality Issues 25 Mar 2016 21:37 #1

• mjoseph20
  • mjoseph20's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 5
We went to pick up our Element XL that we ordered in early January but left without a boat today. We arrived to find the right side of the boat with significant large gel coat defects in multiple areas and I found some fiberglass cracking in the front storage compartment. Needless to say, we are extremely disappointed in Bayliner. The gel coat defects were multiple and very obvious. They should have never let the boat leave the factory. I also fault our dealer for accepting the delivery. My dealer and the Bayliner rep are working through a resolution plan but at this point, I'm not sure if I even want the boat. If their quality dept didn't see these issues, went else is wrong that I can't see. We'll see how this one plays out. No boating for this NC family this weekend. I wish I would have taken photos to share. :angry:
The following user(s) said Thank You: rbrauerei

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Attempted to Pickup Our New Element XL...Quality Issues 26 Mar 2016 00:00 #2

• Andover_Ct
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • 860-978-9039
  • Thank you received: 45
Sorry to hear that....

If I was Bayliner I would get another one ASAP and have it double and triple checked... they can sell this one to someone else as a factory second.
Plus some type of "we're sorry" discount or bonus....

Tony

SO WHAT its not a Searay!! Bayliner Command Bridges for life!!!!!
'93 Cierra Cmd Brdge 3058 twin 250 hp Chvy-Merc Alpha 1 gen 2s
Ret.--87 Contessa Cmd Brdge 2850 350 Chvy 260hp Volvo 290
Commodore-Glastonbury Yacht Club, Portland CT
Dpty Harbor Mster--Wethersfield Cove / CT River to Rocky Hill

Attempted to Pickup Our New Element XL...Quality Issues 26 Mar 2016 00:21 #3

• rbrauerei
  • Away
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Chesapeake Bay, MD
  • Thank you received: 63
Sorry, to hear that MJoe... We are taking delivery of a new factory delivered boat in about a month. Your post reminds me to take a hard look at everything and not assume that just because it's new all is right.

Rick
"Our Dream" -- 2015 21' Bayliner 642, 4.3 MPI Mercruiser

"Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates." Mark Twain

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

Attempted to Pickup Our New Element XL...Quality Issues 26 Mar 2016 00:57 #4

• jmayes
  • Thank you received: 1
Man....I plan on having mine delivered straight to the dock. I will have to double and triple check it as well.

2016 190 Deck Boat
150 Mercury 4 stroke
Arkansas

Attempted to Pickup Our New Element XL...Quality Issues 26 Mar 2016 02:59 #5

• mrjeff

mjoseph20 wrote: We went to pick up our Element XL that we ordered in early January but left without a boat today. We arrived to find the right side of the boat with significant large gel coat defects in multiple areas and I found some fiberglass cracking in the front storage compartment. Needless to say, we are extremely disappointed in Bayliner. The gel coat defects were multiple and very obvious. They should have never let the boat leave the factory. I also fault our dealer for accepting the delivery. My dealer and the Bayliner rep are working through a resolution plan but at this point, I'm not sure if I even want the boat. If their quality dept didn't see these issues, went else is wrong that I can't see. We'll see how this one plays out. No boating for this NC family this weekend. I wish I would have taken photos to share. :angry:

Curious, to what the gelcoat defects are. I assume you are buying yours from the same dealer I bought mine from. Your avatar is my boat, I bought from a dealer in South Carolina.

Attempted to Pickup Our New Element XL...Quality Issues 26 Mar 2016 10:15 #6

• MidnightSun
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 199
The boat may have been delivered to the dealer at substantial discount due to the defects hoping the buyer would not notice them. You say the boat was ordered in Jan, sounds like little time to produce and deliver one to the dealer if you ask me.

Cheers, Hans
2007 Carver 41 CMY
Twin Volvo D6-370
Montreal, Canada
Midnight Sun I Photos

Attempted to Pickup Our New Element XL...Quality Issues 26 Mar 2016 12:10 #7

• jmayes
I ordered my 190DB on Tuesday and he said 'it would be 5 weeks--which is really quick."

2016 190 Deck Boat
150 Mercury 4 stroke
Arkansas

Attempted to Pickup Our New Element XL...Quality Issues 26 Mar 2016 12:11 #8

• Chief Alen
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Manalapan N.J
  • Thank you received: 1079
Ain't no different then cars.

Many cars are damaged from shipping, weather,hail etc.

Always look at the boat, car etc. in bright sunlight, look down the sides, see if the car, boat was painted a different color etc.

Once you take delivery usually it's your problem.

I once picked a car out at Reedman, big car dealership in PA bought many, many cars from them , actually one of the Reedmen was my sales person as well as a manager, i wrote down the vin, and at the end of the day as i was going to sign the papers it was a different vin. went outside and sure enough a door was off in color.

Buy what you want, pay what you want, but make sure you get what you pay for, it's your money.

Be good, be happy, for tomorrow is promised to no man !

1994 2452, 5.0l, Alpha gen. 2 drive. Sold ! Sold ! Sold !

'86 / 19' Citation cuddy, Merc. 3.0L / 140 hp 86' , stringer drive. Sold ! Sold ! Sold !

Attempted to Pickup Our New Element XL...Quality Issues 26 Mar 2016 12:25 #9

• MidnightSun
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 199

jmayes wrote: I ordered my 190DB on Tuesday and he said 'it would be 5 weeks--which is really quick."

Must be already produced as there is no way Bayliner can produce a boat and have it delivered in 5 weeks unless they have nothing else to do and are simply waiting for someone to call an order in which I highly doubt. :huh:
The following user(s) said Thank You: jmayes

Cheers, Hans
2007 Carver 41 CMY
Twin Volvo D6-370
Montreal, Canada
Midnight Sun I Photos

Attempted to Pickup Our New Element XL...Quality Issues 26 Mar 2016 13:28 #10

• RobMick
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 123
I was thinking about this....are all boats "made to order?" I mean there is no inventory sitting around? No holding area of different model boats at least in the early part of the year? It would make sense to me that there would be something of an inventory, but maybe I am wrong...especially with Bayliner with the new vr's coming out. Why not have the production line running full throttle through the winter before the boat shows open up and people get the "fever"? I would think that for the Element, pretty simple boat, not many color choices/options that they could produce some sort of inventory of these boats and be able to accommodate an order in a timely fashion for a boat of this type.

Wouldn't it make sense for Bayliner to do this? I mean personally if I wanted a new boat equipped with pretty standard equipment, and I had no specific Brand loyalty, I would purchase the boat that could get to me the quickest usually especially this time of year. Certainly price is an issue, but not that big a deal. And if I am purchasing a brand new boat with standard equipment would another dealer possible have it in their inventory on-site? I would search and find one. If I wanted it now, and the boat is a pretty popular model and color and equipment, I would travel to get it as opposed to waiting any additional length of time....just my opinion, I am sure others don't feel the same..

I would imagine that as in the car business, they can "dealer trade" if need be if other dealer is willing to take something in return that is similar. I would definately not take that boat.....did you take any pics of the defective/questionable areas/issues? That way you have some "back-up" as to any work that will be done will be done correctly...

Hell, Michigan (yes we really live in a city named "Hell" in Michigan)
2012 BR 185 - 3.0 TKS
1999 Chaparral 233 Sunesta Ltd., 5.0 Volvo
1985 Harris Flotebote Classic 240
1993 Yamaha Waverunner III VXR
1993 Yamaha Waverunner III
1995 Yamaha Waverunner III GP
1995 Yamaha Waverunner III VXR PRO

Attempted to Pickup Our New Element XL...Quality Issues 26 Mar 2016 13:36 #11

• RobMick
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 123
I would be more disappointed in the dealer frankly.....trying to DELIVER that boat in that condition....they should have caught those issues during final prep...and made someone aware of the issues. If the dealer is this lazy on the delivery of a new boat to a new customer, what is he able to do or not do when your new boat is "allegedly" serviced there as well....I would demand to see the GM and tell him that they lost your business period! You can find another element at another dealer. Mi wouldn't be afraid to tell the next dealer what happened, they will appreciate your business and the thought that they "stole" a competitors customer because they were lazy. I would speak directly to the sales manager or GM on the phone of the new dealership. Work the same deal with him on the phone after you explain why....this certainly would leave a terrible taste in my mouth abou the current dealer....

Hell, Michigan (yes we really live in a city named "Hell" in Michigan)
2012 BR 185 - 3.0 TKS
1999 Chaparral 233 Sunesta Ltd., 5.0 Volvo
1985 Harris Flotebote Classic 240
1993 Yamaha Waverunner III VXR
1993 Yamaha Waverunner III
1995 Yamaha Waverunner III GP
1995 Yamaha Waverunner III VXR PRO

Attempted to Pickup Our New Element XL...Quality Issues 26 Mar 2016 13:37 #12

• jmayes
I agree. I am just saying what the salesman told me. I filled out the "Build your Bayliner" form on the website. The salesman and I went over somethings over the next 2 days and then he needed a deposit to order. Once I gave him the deposit, I was given a buyers order with everything we went over. --this sheet has everything besides a vin number--as he stated that he will not get the vin number until about a week before delivery.

Is all this correct or am I a sucker?

The boat was purchased from an actual dealership, not someone off of Craigslist.

2016 190 Deck Boat
150 Mercury 4 stroke
Arkansas
Last Edit: by jmayes.

Attempted to Pickup Our New Element XL...Quality Issues 26 Mar 2016 14:05 #13

• jmayes

MidnightSun wrote:

jmayes wrote: I ordered my 190DB on Tuesday and he said 'it would be 5 weeks--which is really quick."

Must be already produced as there is no way Bayliner can produce a boat and have it delivered in 5 weeks unless they have nothing else to do and are simply waiting for someone to call an order in which I highly doubt. :huh:

I agree. I am just saying what the salesman told me. I filled out the "Build your Bayliner" form on the website. The salesman and I went over somethings over the next 2 days and then he needed a deposit to order. Once I gave him the deposit, I was given a buyers order with everything we went over. --this sheet has everything besides a vin number--as he stated that he will not get the vin number until about a week before delivery.

Is all this correct or am I a sucker?

The boat was purchased from an actual dealership, not someone off of Craigslist.

2016 190 Deck Boat
150 Mercury 4 stroke
Arkansas

Attempted to Pickup Our New Element XL...Quality Issues 26 Mar 2016 14:20 #14

• Waterdowg
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 64
When i purchsed mine last August. I didnt want a boat with seadeck. But that was all they had in stock. He said he could check "his warehouse" which I know they don't have. He came back witha list of boats that were there and ready to go and could have it delivered in a week. Now this was comeing from PA to NJ. So there has to be a inventory somewere. I eneded up buying the one they had in stock just made him take $900 off thee price for the seadeck.

2016 Bayliner 215 Deck Boat
Mercruiser 4.3 220 HP Alpha 1 Gen II

2003 SeaRay 176 SRX Bowrider
Mercruiser 3.0 135 HP Alpha 1 Gen II

1988 Sunbird 170 Bowrider
Evinrude 88 Special

1970 Salem Skiff 13.5 foot
1992 Johnson 40HP.

Attempted to Pickup Our New Element XL...Quality Issues 26 Mar 2016 16:09 #15

• jmayes
I want to say this guy said it was a special order because I wanted black paint, stainless steel, the bimini top, teak mat flooring. The salesman "threw in a pota-poty and the shower head" which I don't think is needed but he said I could write it off on my taxes as a second home because it had a bathroom on it (which I call BS, but who cares), it will hardly ever get used and when it does, it will be my 2 year old son.

2016 190 Deck Boat
150 Mercury 4 stroke
Arkansas
Last Edit: by jmayes.

Attempted to Pickup Our New Element XL...Quality Issues 26 Mar 2016 16:15 #16

• rbrauerei
  • Away
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Chesapeake Bay, MD
  • Thank you received: 63

jmayes wrote: The salesman "threw in a pota-poty and the shower head" which I don't think is needed but he said I could write it off on my taxes as a second home because it had a bathroom on it (which I call BS, but who cares),

Yea, the salesman wasn't quite right about a tax deduction for your boat. To qualify as a "second home" the IRS wants to see that it has toilet, AND cooking facilities AND sleeping facilities. And then, you are only able to take as a deduction the interest on your loan. I've read several topics/websites across the internet about this and even my 642 cuddy cabin is in a grey area that might not qualify. Camping in an XL certainly would not qualify. So, I'd say your salesman was selling some "BS."

Rick
"Our Dream" -- 2015 21' Bayliner 642, 4.3 MPI Mercruiser

"Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates." Mark Twain

This image is hidden for guests.
Please log in or register to see it.

Attempted to Pickup Our New Element XL...Quality Issues 26 Mar 2016 16:18 #17

• Ruffryder
  • Thank you received: 1418
As always

Joon, Kathy, Jaden & Tristan
93 3058
92 2855
91 Fourwinns 205
Longbranch WA
Life is Good

Attempted to Pickup Our New Element XL...Quality Issues 05 Apr 2016 00:45 #18

• mjoseph20
Update: After multiple discussions between my dealer and the Bayliner rep, Bayliner refused to do anything but just fix it and offer an extended warranty. Who knows how long that would take and I'm sure it wouldn't turn out well. Luckily my dealer agrees with my position on the matter and had almost the exact same boat as we ordered on the lot that they are going to sell it me as a replacement. It has a few extra options so in the end, I'll end up a bit ahead, minus all the hassle. I'm satisfied with my dealer's actions (even though they should have just refused it upon receipt) but I expected more out of Bayliner. Oh well, I just hope the replacement is of satisfactory condition. I'll find out in a week or so.

Attempted to Pickup Our New Element XL...Quality Issues 05 Apr 2016 00:49 #19

• jmayes
So it's only taking you a week? Why would mine take 5 weeks?

2016 190 Deck Boat
150 Mercury 4 stroke
Arkansas

Attempted to Pickup Our New Element XL...Quality Issues 05 Apr 2016 01:05 #20

• mrjeff
You will enjoy it. I love mine. Was out yesterday and told my wife every time I take the boat out I like it more.

Attempted to Pickup Our New Element XL...Quality Issues 05 Apr 2016 01:28 #21

• mjoseph20
They already have it in stock at their other store. They are going to swap the engines, since I ordered a 115 hp and the replacement has a 90 hp. They also have to add the snaps for the cockpit cover and the automatic bilge pump switch

Attempted to Pickup Our New Element XL...Quality Issues 05 Apr 2016 01:30 #22

• aspen1880
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 119
I told MY wife that every time I take the boat out, I like her more.... ;)

Novurania 335DL. 30HP. WKRP in cincinnati. Previously: Bayliner 3818 in PNW.

Attempted to Pickup Our New Element XL...Quality Issues 05 Apr 2016 01:41 #23

• green650
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 382

aspen1880 wrote: I told MY wife that every time I take the boat out, I like her more.... ;)

The boat or the wife? :dry:

Attempted to Pickup Our New Element XL...Quality Issues 05 Apr 2016 10:50 #24

• Whiskey31
  • Hudson Valley, NY
  • Thank you received: 6
I just picked up a new 185 last week..(It sits under newly fallen snow here in the Hudson Valley in NY). When I was looking around at boats last fall many people who I respected were telling me the importance of a good dealer. Reading your story and some others recently I feel pretty good about my choice. Pennybridge Marine where I got it from I feel did a great job of getting the boat ready for me. Now I understand the numerous checklists I saw that they used in prepping the boat and getting it ready for delivery.

I hope it all works out for you

Orange County, NY....Boating mostly on the Hudson River
Just started boating last summer (2015), so I'm a newbie really

2015 Bayliner 185 w/4.3L MPI (the Jeannie Rose)
1988 SunRunner 195B Bowrider w/3.0
2009 Harley Road King

Attempted to Pickup Our New Element XL...Quality Issues 05 Apr 2016 11:14 #25

• Critterracing
  • Thank you received: 7

Whiskey31 wrote: I just picked up a new 185 last week..(It sits under newly fallen snow here in the Hudson Valley in NY). When I was looking around at boats last fall many people who I respected were telling me the importance of a good dealer. Reading your story and some others recently I feel pretty good about my choice. Pennybridge Marine where I got it from I feel did a great job of getting the boat ready for me. Now I understand the numerous checklists I saw that they used in prepping the boat and getting it ready for delivery.

I hope it all works out for you

i agree about pennybridge. she,s a stand up buisness. i thought about keeping my boat there but heard nightmare stories of floating debris in the area.

aldo

2016 Bayliner 215DB
4.5l 250hp Bravo 3
2016 Yamaha VZ Cruiser HO
Moderators: Download_Completehiggins_jr
Time to create page: 0.147 seconds