Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: engine mounted trolling motor on Element

engine mounted trolling motor on Element 06 Mar 2016 22:27 #1

• Cinmueller12
  • Cinmueller12's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0
We are about to purchase an Element, so I've been reading up about the boat here to learn as much as I can before buying. I've owned small sailboats throughout my life, but am in my 60s now, and want to be on the water using less physical strength. We are looking for "ease" and relaxation in our boating - not interested in speed, not towing any kids - so the Element seems to be the perfect boat for us. We're in north central Florida and will be boating on lakes, rivers, and bay waters on both the east and west coast of Florida, and on the intercostal.

I am looking into mounting an electric trolling motor on the engine. Minn Kota makes models that are engine mountable. My idea is to use the electric engine when we just want to mosey at slow speed without the sound of an outboard. Have any of you done this on your boat? Thoughts, suggestions welcome regarding this idea.

For our purposes, it seems like a 60 hp motor will be fine. Any advice : standard 60 hp, 60 hp CT?

Also, I noticed there isn't a bow cleat on the Element. Doesn't that making tying off at anchor less than optimum? Have you Element owners added a bow cleat? We will be doing lots of anchoring, so just wondering about this.

Looking forward to being an Element owner!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Cindy

engine mounted trolling motor on Element 06 Mar 2016 22:33 #2

• Greg Tomamichel
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 96
Welcome aboard, and congratulations on your purchase.

I can't talk specifically about bow cleat for an Element, but I did look at it for our 2007 175. Given very limited access, I couldn't come up with any good way to get a large backing plate on to support a bow cleat. So I have just resorted to using the winch cable eye, and have to put up with it being difficult to reach. That said, we don't anchor but simply tie off on the shore of the lake.

Good luck with your new toy. Cheers, Greg
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cinmueller12

2007 Bayliner 175 3.0l Mercruiser
Lake use for water sports
Victoria, Australia

engine mounted trolling motor on Element 07 Mar 2016 13:52 #3

• rengnath
  • Thank you received: 49
Congrats on your future purchase. I looked at doing the engine mounted trolling motor on my 185 and ultimately decided to go a different route. Some of my reasons:
1. They are VERY expensive
2. With how high they sit on the after being mounted to the drive, any chop in the water would cause cavitation. I troll on Lake Michigan in up to 3 foot waves/chop, so this was a deal breaker
3. Batteries. Depending on the model you would want (I was looking at the 36v option), you need up to 3 deep cycle batteries. You only need one for a 12v model, but it is still more space and weight in the boat.

IMO, you'll be much better off just put-putting around with the outboard. These new outboards are so quiet that I'm not even sure it would be worth the investment unless you are looking at using the trolling motor for fishing. If you were using it for fishing, a trolling motor will always be more efficient pulling a boat vs pushing it, so you'd probably want to look at a bow-mounted option. My good friend just purchased a fishing boat last year with a 50hp Mercury on the back and I can't believe how that thing performs. It's so quiet and smooth ... not like the outboards that I grew up with in the 90's.

Bob

"Naughty Buoy"
2011 Bayliner 185
3.0 Mercruiser/Alpha I

Port of Milwaukee

engine mounted trolling motor on Element advice 07 Mar 2016 14:39 #4

• Cinmueller12
  • Cinmueller12's Avatar Topic Author
We are about to purchase an Element, so I've been reading up about the boat here to learn as much as I can before buying. I've owned small sailboats throughout my life, but am in my 60s now, and want to be on the water using less physical strength. We are looking for "ease" and relaxation in our boating - not interested in speed, not towing any kids - so the Element seems to be the perfect boat for us. We're in north central Florida and will be boating on lakes, rivers, and bay waters on both the east and west coast of Florida, and on the intercostal.

I am looking into mounting an electric trolling motor on the engine. Minn Kota makes models that are engine mountable. My idea is to use the electric engine when we just want to mosey at slow speed without the sound of an outboard. Have any of you done this on your boat? Thoughts, suggestions welcome regarding this idea.

For our purposes, it seems like a 60 hp motor will be fine. Any advice : standard 60 hp, 60 hp CT?

Also, I noticed there isn't a bow cleat on the Element. Doesn't that making tying off at anchor less than optimum? Have you Element owners added a bow cleat? We will be doing lots of anchoring, so just wondering about this.

Looking forward to being an Element owner!

Cindy

engine mounted trolling motor on Element 07 Mar 2016 15:41 #5

• seadoorider
  • Thank you received: 15
I don't know about the 60hp model but the 4 stroke 115 on my element XL is so quiet it's easy to forget that it's running. I'd assume the 60 4 stoke is similar. We idle around quite a bit and the motor is very fuel efficient too.

engine mounted trolling motor on Element advice 07 Mar 2016 16:11 #6

• Download_Complete
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 544
You already have one topic going in the bowrider forum, so I am merging this with that thread.

Matt Train
BOC Admin
Chicagoland, IL

engine mounted trolling motor on Element 07 Mar 2016 16:18 #7

• oakplank
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • 2014 Element owner
  • Thank you received: 89
I have the 16' Element with the 60hp 4stroke BigFoot (CT). It is very quiet and plenty powerfully if not pulling water toys.
There is an anchor locker at the bow. (See center compartment, with opened door, on the attached picture). I believe this would give you access to install a cleat just in front
of the light with a backer plate underneath.

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Parry Sound, Ontario Canada
2014 Bayliner Element with Mercury 60 HP EFI Big Foot OB
12 foot aluminum fishing boat with 5 HP Mercury OB

engine mounted trolling motor on Element 07 Mar 2016 17:49 #8

• Jasperdog
  • Thank you received: 8
Here a couple of photos of where I had my cleats installed.

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

Bayliner Element XL 2015
Australia

engine mounted trolling motor on Element 07 Aug 2017 14:43 #9

• RobFLA
I would like to express for anyone looking....the 60HP Merc is NOT the best choice for the Element boats, even though they sell it as the standard motor for it. If you have 4 or 5 people in the boat there is HUGE problems with the boat picking up speed. Almost never gets up on plane or even past 8 to 10 miles per hour speed. That's at Full Throttle. With 1 to 3 people it usually gets going fairly good, but otherwise it's like it's bogged down almost everytime. You have to shift people around to try and get it going.

If I would have known this would happen at purchase time, I would have just upgraded to the 90hp. Very disappointing. We've been dealing with it for 2.5 years and have also had it into the dealer 2 times about it, but have come to realize it's just a small motor issue vs weight, etc.

engine mounted trolling motor on Element 07 Aug 2017 22:10 #10

• Professor
  • Thank you received: 1
I have the 60 HP Bigfoot (CT is the new name) on a Element 16. Very quiet at idle. If you want to go real slow Smart Tabs will slow you down even more at idle and get up on plane faster. But as Rob in FLA stated too many people/ too much weight can exceed the performance of the 60 HP motor. My experience is 500 lbs, no problem; over 500 increases time to plane, 1000 lbs (5 people at 200 lbs each) is my max to get on plane with the 60HP. I know I was over weight limits, we were rescuing 3 men that had hard grounded their boat at dusk and took them a couple of miles to their launch site.

• Page:
Moderators: Download_Completehiggins_jr
Time to create page: 0.099 seconds