Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Trailer bearings

Trailer bearings 08 Jun 2014 19:57 #26

• Mainiac
  • Thank you received: 4

kjs wrote: These plugs are somehow watertight. You don't want them to be hermetically sealed as they let trapped air get out when the hub heats up and there's still air in there. Better than been blown out on the rear seal.... The pressure is so low that even a sloppy fit will keep the water out. You can get these plugs from most online trailer places. Example: www.etrailer.com/dept-pg-Grease_Caps.aspx or www.pacifictrailers.com/Standard-Dust-Caps/ . Unfortunately they are different from manufacturer to manufacturer. You have to know the brand or at least the diameter you need.

Perfect-- Thx for the info.

Mainiac

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Trailer bearings 08 Jun 2014 22:25 #27

• FISHIN00
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 166

kjs wrote: stay away as far as you can from these Chinese bearings and seals unless you want to do it again soon. American made or SKF made in Europe (not their Chinese crap they sell often in the US).

Seems ChiCom bearings are getting a bad rap...I had them on the trl for 6 years, replaced them with the hub kits made in China.....time will tell.

Trailer bearings 09 Jun 2014 01:09 #28

• driz
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 64
I wouldn't necessarily go to a bearing shop, not with these. They are a very, VERY common sizing and you can get them almost anywhere. I don't now if it's the same outfit since you are in Canada but we have a Kaman Bearing shop here locally in Plattsburgh NY. I wouldn't buy ANYTHING from those people having dealt with them happily back in the 90's . All I am saying is watch out for the minimums and shipping. I don't want a $4 seal if I have to buy 20 for it not to cost $10 or pay $5 shipping unless I buy a dozen from a brick and mortar store. As I said it might be another part of the franchise or another store altogether possibly. All I am saying is watch out for things like shipping and minimums when dealing with these type places before you casually say " get me a couple of those".. As far as I know there is only 2 sizes of common boat trailer bearings and seals and you can get them pretty cheap at Wallymart , Autozone, Advance or the online trailer supplies.

Trailer bearings 09 Jun 2014 04:42 #29

• BC Steve
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 31

driz wrote: I wouldn't necessarily go to a bearing shop, not with these. They are a very, VERY common sizing and you can get them almost anywhere. I don't now if it's the same outfit since you are in Canada but we have a Kaman Bearing shop here locally in Plattsburgh NY. I wouldn't buy ANYTHING from those people having dealt with them happily back in the 90's . All I am saying is watch out for the minimums and shipping. I don't want a $4 seal if I have to buy 20 for it not to cost $10 or pay $5 shipping unless I buy a dozen from a brick and mortar store. As I said it might be another part of the franchise or another store altogether possibly. All I am saying is watch out for things like shipping and minimums when dealing with these type places before you casually say " get me a couple of those".. As far as I know there is only 2 sizes of common boat trailer bearings and seals and you can get them pretty cheap at Wallymart , Autozone, Advance or the online trailer supplies.

Maybe there is some difference in dealers in the US or Canada cause I had no issues, no minimums or such, just walked in the brick and mortar building and bought them. Guy at the counter knew his stuff and had it in stock. AS for Wally World may be another where you live issue, when it comes to anything other then pointing you to the washrooms if the collective wisdom of our local store was electric it couldn't make a fire flies ass glow. I say go with the pros.

BC Steve
Terrace BC Canada
2008 185 BR 3.0L TKS
Alpha 1
2007 Yamaha Wave Runner VX
1100 cc 4 stroke
2012 F250 SD 4x4 Crew Cab
"WHAT EVER FLOATS YOUR BOAT"

Trailer bearings 09 Jun 2014 10:40 #30

• paperhanger
  • paperhanger's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 6
It just keeps getting better, the same axle has 2 different size spindles. left has 11/6, right has 1 3/8. Bought 2 replacement hubs with bearings included, now have to buy a new set of bearings for the 1 3/8 side. :silly:

2003 Bayliner 1952 cuddy

Trailer bearings 10 Jun 2014 03:42 #31

• 2850Bounty
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 1121

kjs wrote: ........ Btw: all pictures are from earlier BOC postings (Bounty-Rick and myself are the big proponents of it).......

Amen to that!
And do not confuse Buddy Bearings with the spindles that actually cause an exchange of grease within the hub/spindle area.

paperhanger wrote: It just keeps getting better, the same axle has 2 different size spindles. left has 11/6, right has 1 3/8. Bought 2 replacement hubs with bearings included, now have to buy a new set of bearings for the 1 3/8 side. :silly:

Why don't you replace the entire axle and with one that offers larger spindles and with either Shure-Lube, EZ Lube, or Super Lube spindles?
Do this once.... and you won't have to be doing it again so soon.

Rick E. Portland, Oregon
2850 Bounty Sedan Flybridge model
Twin 270 HP 5.7's w/ Closed Cooling
Volvo Penta DuoProp Drives
Kohler 4 CZ Gen Set

Trailer bearings 10 Jun 2014 03:59 #32

• kjs
  • Thank you received: 373

paperhanger wrote: It just keeps getting better, the same axle has 2 different size spindles. left has 11/6, right has 1 3/8. Bought 2 replacement hubs with bearings included, now have to buy a new set of bearings for the 1 3/8 side. :silly:

I agree with Rick (we usually do when it comes to trailers except for torsion axles...). With such a chaos you will be a lot better off to spend the $150 on a brand new axle with the spindle lube system and be done for the next 10 years.....

Jürgen
boatless for the future (?)

Jürgen's boating library
Last Edit: by kjs.

Trailer bearings 10 Jun 2014 04:51 #33

• boatworkfl
  • Away
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 357
Go online and look up agriseek, I ordered a 3500 lb axel with bearings and hub, for a lot less than discounted retail, including shipping.
There are other sites.

Pat says: DO-IT-RIGHT THE FIRST TIME!

Bayliner 3870 "ALASKA33)
Twin 350 GM power
Located in Seward, AK
Retired marine surveyor

Trailer bearings 10 Jun 2014 18:36 #34

• SeaDog
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 2
I replaced the races and bearings on my old trailer and they failed within a couple of years. Then I got smart and replaced the hubs with pre-packed bearings and have not done anything except regular grease maintenance since every year. Checked them last week again, no water entry, no rust, great condition year 5 this summer.

1985 Capri BR 1950, "SeaDog"
AQ125a/275
Even a bad day on the water is better than being at work!

Trailer bearings 13 Aug 2017 16:53 #35

• KaptnSmooth
  • Thank you received: 0
I have a 1998 Bayliner Capri Cuddy cabin, not sure of the model number, it is called a 21 footer but the boat is more like 18 1/2 ' transom to bow. I just put on a new hub on the right side. This is after replacing the "bearing keeper' at least 4 times in the old hub, cleaning out and replacing the grease each time. I tried several different types of keepers, I believe they were just over 2" diameter units that just didn't seem to seat very firmly. The left side is beginning to creep out during transport now too.
The old bearings had the following numbers: Inner Bearing = L68149, Outer Bearing = L44649, seated in a 10" brake hub with pressed in lug studs.
The new hub part number is 56130 at Northern Tool, Mfg. *TowZone Item # 86754* and is described as "5-hole, 4.5" Bolt Circle Brake Drum for 3,500 lb. Axles" Northern Tool lists this as 2000 lb. axle capacity. Either way, this hub fits perfectly. The required bearing keeper is 1.98 Inch. I removed all the old brake assembly since it was disabled when I bought the boat years ago anyway and it was necessary in order to dress up the spindle surfaces with emory tape (found in the plumbing section of m local hardware store) 180 grit. I tried to put a section of 2X4 over the bearing keeper and persuade it to tap in with a BFH. Nothing doing. I tapered the edge of the bearing keeper back about 1/8" and was then successful with getting it into the hub. I loaded my grease gun with marine grade grease and pumped it up. Will check it again after pulling the trailer around the block a few times as it's almost certain pockets of air exist in the inner hub assembly.
The new hub comes with new beatings packed with grease, races and seal pressed in, new studs pressed in, new lug nuts, dust cap and a cotter pin. Mine did not come with a new outer washer, save the old one. The first bearing helper I put in leaked grease out of the side 'window' and didn't have the BB to plug up the zerk, luckily my package had a pair.
BTW: Off topic, I know, but want to add my boat has a GM 305 GM V-8, just like my '84 boat. BUT, this one has a smaller starter with a gear reduction assembly and when of those gears go bad, your starter will do things I have never heard of going back to 50's V-8s, or any other engine, but I don't have much MOPAR experience, which has had gear reduction starters at lease that long.
*The part number on the Tow Zone box*

Last Edit: by KaptnSmooth. Reason: Corrected the wrong Tow Zone P/N

Trailer bearings 14 Aug 2017 04:08 #36

• megamark
  • Thank you received: 25
kjs that’s some great info on those super lube hubs, next year when do my bearings I’m going to drill out and install grease zerks in the back of the hubs and get there caps. I’m running disc brakes with easy access to the back of the hubs, in future it will be a breeze to grease. Thanks.

1994 Capri 1950 CL
5.0 Litre Vortec Mercruiser Alpha Gen2
  • Page:
Moderators: Download_Completehiggins_jr
Time to create page: 0.141 seconds